GB £.2300 Amalio Burguet Maestro cedar 2015, Edinburgh, Scotland

Gary Macleod

Re: GB £.2300 Amalio Burguet Maestro cedar 2015, Edinburgh, Scotland

Post by Gary Macleod » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:29 pm
Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:55 pm
I saw one website where the 1a is described as "semi professional", which always puzzles me.
Not sure what features the 1a is missing to not call it professional.
I hope someone else can explain it, but a Burguet 1a is not a professional guitar - it is an instrument for an advanced student/amateur.

I am sorry to put bad vibes into Gary's "for sale thread", but I feel I can't let that go unchallenged.
What did you think of the comparison in the video?

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

Gary Macleod wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:57 pm

What did you think of the comparison in the video?
Gary,

First of all, I wish I could play like you ...

I am not sure what you are interested in. It is always difficult to judge a guitar from video. I assume what I hear on the video is mostly the sound it projects, while the sound for the player can be quite different. I recently got increasingly aware of the difference and when buying a guitar recently I picked the one that sounded best to me as a player - I am mostly playing for my own enjoyment and not so much to audiences. So much on the disclaimer.

Based on the video the Stephen Hill is the much nicer guitar and you are right that the Burguet offers little of an alternative. I had to listen a few times to notice the differences, but the Stephen Hill is just more refined in sound and more balanced. I have no clue how much the Stephen Hill costs (I assume it is way more than the Burguet). Based on this video, if I was in your position I wouldn't buy a spruce Burguet either. If you want a spurce guitar buy a better one or keep enjoying the Stephen Hill.

What kind of (treble) strings do you have on them? They sound a bit harsh to me and the 1E sticks out. Since both instrument have that issue, it might be a resonance in the room or your recording kit. But my first reaction on this is: I would try for a warmer, less harsh set of treble strings or 1E string. As I wrote for you in playing position matters might sound different.

That gets me back to where I started in this thread. You are selling the Burguet as a £2300 guitar, which to me is the price of an instrument for an advanced student/amateur. If I was still living in Scotland (I moved away in 2010) and if I hadn't just bought a guitar in that price range (€1800 Hanika Natural PC) I would pay you a visit and give the Burguet a spin.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 am

You are right that it’s hard to judge a guitar from a video but when you compare 2 guitars with the same mic volume it at least gives some info on comparative sustain and volume.
You are right, the Hill is a better guitar it should be as he is regarded as a top Luthier and charged 6k euros.
What I’m offering here is a guitar with similar quality of volume at a much better price. It will never be a Hill.
As for strings I like the bright e and use Savarez alliance, it’s less harsh in real like compared to a recording.

Regards

Gary

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 am

As for strings I like the bright e and use Savarez alliance, it’s less harsh in real like compared to a recording.
I was expecting Carbon trebles. I read that discussed before, Carbons make very nice strings for live situations, in particular when you need to reach a person in the last row of a concert venue, however they can be tricky when it comes to audio recording. It seems that's what we are hearing here.

I think we have a similar understanding regarding the place of the Burguet. As I said, if I was still looking for a guitar and would be living close by, I would be tempted to pay you a visit.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm

It does sound bright for a cedar (You'll recall I mistook it for a spruce!) And it does have similarities to your Hill. It's a very good guitar. I don't think you'll have problems selling this one at all. As usual, great playing Gary. :)

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:04 pm

segobreawill wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:58 pm
It does sound bright for a cedar (You'll recall I mistook it for a spruce!) And it does have similarities to your Hill. It's a very good guitar. I don't think you'll have problems selling this one at all. As usual, great playing Gary. :)
Thanks, it really is a good guitar.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:23 pm

I think that the question is: is this guitar good enough for a fully professional recital? I would say a definite "yes".

Other issues, such as the brightness etc, are dependent to some extent on personal preference.

I know quite a few people who (forgetting the price for a minute), would far prefer to hear this in a recital than a Smallman.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Very true, I have played many recitals on my old Ramirez 4e . It was a nice guitar but not as good as the Burguet and not a patch on my Hill , it is also a “student “ guitar yet it served well for performing.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:05 pm

As I am leaving the forum if anyone is interested in this guitar please contact me through the email on the the YouTube video. Best wishes.

Tstrembu

Post by Tstrembu » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:39 pm

Leaving? Say it ain’t so!

leonardick

Post by leonardick » Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 pm

Is it still available?

es335

Post by es335 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:32 am

leonardick wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:04 pm
Is it still available?
There will be no response as Gary sadly left Delcamp. Try to contact him via FB or his YT account! :wink:

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”