US $.1750 C.E. Sobel Conservatory cedar 2017, **SOLD**

Skip Ellis

US $.1750 C.E. Sobel Conservatory cedar 2017, **SOLD**

Post by Skip Ellis » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:31 pm

2017 C.E. Sobel Conservatory model. Four piece Madagascar RW back & sides with gorgeous cedar top. Standard classical neck and fingerboard. Here's the description given by the builder :

"Type: C.E.Sobel Conservatory Classical
Year: 2017
Scale Length: 650mm
Nut Width: 52mm
Top: Cedar
Bracing: Modified Elliott/Hauser Fan
Back: Madagascan rosewood
Fingerboard: Ebony
Tuners: Gotoh
Condition: New
Price: $xxxxx free shipping in the USA
Viewing/Trial: Yes

2017 C.E. Sobel "Conservatory" Model #12 with a cedar top and Madagascan rosewood back and sides. This guitar was built in tandem with a guitar built by Andy Culpepper as part of our project to construct two guitars made from sister cut sets of identical wood. The guitars will be the subject of a forthcoming article in American Lutherie.

This particular guitar is part of my conservatory line, aimed at delivering a concert level instrument at a student guitar price. I reserve one or two spots on my waitlist each year for a lower priced student instrument, and strive for a simple but cohesive aesthetic. They are every bit as good as my concert models in sound and playability, but with scaled back appointments and basic tuners, and they are not made to order. This particular instrument features a gorgeous western red cedar top and a four piece quartersawn Madagascan rosewood back.

This guitar is what I would consider a semi-traditional concert instrument, featuring double sides popularized by Daniel Friederich but with a traditional fan bracing based off the Elliott/Hauser design. A primary air resonance of F# gives this guitar a dark and warm sound, but with a very focused treble fundamental that gives it an excellent separation of notes. Overall an excellent guitar that would be at home either in the hall or, thanks to a nice color range, in the living room. It is finished entirely in French polish, but at a slightly lower gloss level than my concert guitars.

Spanish cedar neck, Madagascan rosewood bridge, ebony fingerboard slotted at 650mm. Neck is 52mm at 1st fret, 62mm at 12th, sparing spacing at the nut is 42.5mm, at the bridge 58mm. Overall weight is approx. 1650g. Current action is 4mm/2.9mm at the 12th fret, but with plenty of saddle to lower. Neck is a modified D profile and would be best suited to medium or large hands."

It's a wonderful guitar but it's not getting a lot of play time and the A/C in my truck needs repair. Comes with a hardshell Hiscox style case.

Asking $1750.00 shipped and Pay Pal'd to the lower 48.

Not looking for trades.

Ships fully insured from Bradenton, FL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Skip Ellis on Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Weaver

Re: US $.1750 C.E. Sobel Conservatory cedar 2017, Bradenton, FL

Post by Weaver » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:51 pm

If I may, why a 4 piece back? Thank you.

Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:06 am

I really don't know the reasoning behind it. Chris may have made some comments about it when he posted it before. Do a search for Chris Sobel.

ayaeau

Post by ayaeau » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Skip... I PMed you.

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Truly an nice guitar and I like the 4 piece back.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Ramirez 4NE, IRW \ Cedar 2011

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”