US $..700 Cervantes (Hiromi Yamaguchi) model 500 cedar 1980, Mississauga, Canada (SOLD)

spronev

US $..700 Cervantes (Hiromi Yamaguchi) model 500 cedar 1980, Mississauga, Canada (SOLD)

Post by spronev » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:16 pm

1980 Cervantes 500 (Ramirez 1A style) Classical Guitar
Solid Cedar Top
Indian Rosewood Back and Sides
Bone Nut (52 mm) and Bone Saddle
658mm Scale Length

This Cervantes guitar made by Hiromi Yamaguchi in 1980 has been with me for quite a while now. Hiromi Yamaguchi apprenticed with Masaru Matano in his shop through the 1970s and in the 1980s opened his own shop. In the late 1970s and early 1980s he was in charge of the Cervantes brand guitars in Masaru Matano’s shop. The ones that are signed by Hiromi Yamaguchi on the label (regardless of model number) are the best ones – speaking from personal experience with a long list of guitars made in this shop.

I have owned and played this guitar over the last few years in front of people many times and it has received great comments about its sound. People can’t believe that a guitar that costs 1/8 of the price of a vintage Ramirez 1A can sound this good and is virtually indistinguishable from the real Ramirez 1As in both appearance and sound. There is always an urge to spend thousands and hope that it will translate to a better sound but this Cervantes guitar is an example of why that’s not always true. I have sold 6 Matano guitars during the time that I’ve had this Cervantes because it sounds better than them.

The woods are very high quality comparable with what you will find on a Ramirez 1A guitar from the same time. The finish of the guitar inside and out is on par with a real Ramirez 1A as well. The braces inside are smooth and perfectly scalloped and there is no excess glue in the internal joints.

The condition of the guitar is very good with only a few very small marks on it, which are almost impossible to show in the photos. The finish is in great condition as well with only minor blemishes. The fingerboard has no visible wear and the frets are in great condition. The guitar has no cracks or repairs. The neck is straight and the action is set at 3.0 mm on the 1st string and 4.0 mm on the 6th string at the 12th fret. The saddle sticks out 2.0 mm on the treble side and 3.0mm on the bass side.

The guitar has the typical Spanish sound of a Ramirez 1A with deep bass and clear singing trebles that balance well with the bass. The sound is balanced from string to string with no wolf tones or dead notes anywhere on the fingerboard. It’s a loud guitar with bold and expressive sound which is characteristic of the Ramirez 1A guitars from that time. It sounds better than many original Ramirez 1A guitars I have played. If you are looking for a vintage Ramirez 1A and cannot afford to spend 5 to 10 thousand on one, this guitar is a great alternative at a small fraction of the price.

The sound sample videos were recorded with a set of D’Addario EJ-45 nylon strings. These are among the most generic nylon strings available and allow the guitar to bring out its voice without coloring it. This guitar does not need carbon strings to sound great. It has more than enough volume and clarity with the most basic nylon strings.

For a sound sample please see the following videos on youtube:

Here is what you get when you buy a guitar from me. I have been playing classical guitar since I was a kid and continue to play actively on a daily basis. As a result every guitar I sell has a video that showcases its sound recorded with decent microphones. Every guitar I buy goes through thorough cleaning and setup to ensure its playability is up to my standard. Adjustments are made to the nut and saddle or new ones made depending on their condition, the frets are levelled, crowned and polished and the fingerboard is conditioned, new strings are installed, and sometimes other adjustments are made as required. It does take time to do these things (several hours in fact) but as a result the guitars I sell are playable right out of the case even though some are 40-50 years old.

I will only accept PayPal for payment. I will ship to Canada and the Continental United States. The guitar will be shipped well packed with strings loosened in an old hard shell case of no real monetary value. I have bought and sold a long list of classical guitars over the years, so buy with confidence.

Shipping: $80 USD (Canada Post: 4-6 Business Days)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by spronev on Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

spronev

Re: US $..700 Cervantes (Hiromi Yamaguchi) model 500 cedar 1980, Mississauga, Canada

Post by spronev » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:18 pm

A few more pictures of the guitar.

Svilen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spronev

Re: US $..700 Cervantes (Hiromi Yamaguchi) model 500 cedar 1980, Mississauga, Canada

Post by spronev » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:51 pm

The guitar is now sold to a fellow member of the forum. Please move to archives.

Svilen

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”