GB £.3500 Southwell A Series spruce 2011, London

stevnpa

GB £.3500 Southwell A Series spruce 2011, London

Post by stevnpa » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:20 pm

Type / luthier: Classical/Gary Southwell (England)
- Year of construction: 2011
- Scale length (mm): 645
- Top: Spruce
- Back / Sides: Indian Rosewood/Maple Inlay
- Sound: Deep and rich basses. Clear, sustaining treble. Unlike any other guitar I've ever heard. Very cello like.
- Condition: Mint, as new- Price: 3500 GBP no offers
- Viewing / trial possible: In London
- Location (nearest city):London

Stunning Southwell A Series Guitar in Spruce and Indian with Maple inlay. Uses spruce from Julian Bream's wood collection so is well-aged.
An amazingly rich, well balanced, sustaining and loud guitar, unlike anything I've ever played.

Only selling as my focal dystonia is not responding to treatment so I can't do the instrument justice. Someone will get a bargain. His new price is £5950 plus the cost of the Kingham MTM case, you won't have to wait 18 months, and can try before you buy. I guarantee you'll be blown away by this instrument. I was!

Gary himself said this was a 'special' guitar and although made to my specs was also made to be exhibited in Germany.

I'll be very sorry to see it go.
Mod Edit: direct download link to external files removed - please upload images instead.
Last edited by stevnpa on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

simonm

Re: UK £.4250 Southwell A Series Spruce 2011, London

Post by simonm » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:56 pm

Hmmm ....

If you do't find a buyer and just want to give it away, plese put me first in that list! :lol:
Really lovely. I believe I may have seen photos of it before perhaps from the exhibition.

Good luck. I am sure it will sell really quickly. Great guitar/great price.

classicw

Post by classicw » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:07 pm

Could you please let me know the nut width of this guitar, and does this guitar have the adjustable neck? In general, what were your particular specs for this guitar.

MEL53

Post by MEL53 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Thank you for posting the scale length on the 2011 Southwell Series A concert classical that you have put up for sale. Please state the width of the nut and any other distinctive features of the instrument. Do you have a private email address where I could submit a confidential offer?

stevnpa

Post by stevnpa » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:54 am

The fingerboard width at the nut is 50mm, width at 12th fret 62mm, string length 645mm. It has the clock-key adjustable neck. Other than the maple inlay on the back it has the standard features of the A Series.

If anyone needs any other details, please let me know.

Best, Steve

waitswatcher

Re: UK £.4250 Southwell A Series spruce 2011, London

Post by waitswatcher » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Dear Steve,

Very sorry to hear you have to sell the guitar, how sad ...
Best of luck to you and hopefully you'll find a treatment for your focal dystonia.

I visited Gary few months ago to get a wider fingerboard on my A-Series and he did a wonderful job.

take care,

Pascal

stevnpa

Post by stevnpa » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks Pascal,

I've been having treatment, and I thought I saw some improvement, but I don't think it's really sufficient to justify my guitar collection. Richard Howell next!

How is the wider fingerboard on the Southwell helping?

Best,

Steve.

waitswatcher

Post by waitswatcher » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 pm

The wider fingerboard is a huge improvement for me. Its only about 1.5 mm, but makes a big difference.
I just couldn't get used to the narrow size, compared to my other guitars.

By the way, I don't think one has to justify a guitar collection.
People spend so much money on stupid things, so why not have a couple of quality guitars,
even if you cant play much anymore, for whatever reasons?!

stevnpa

Post by stevnpa » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Perhaps, but I think 8 guitars is excessive!
I was actually diagnosed with FD on the day Gary delivered the guitar to me, which rather took the joy out of it.

It's a real pity but it's very frustrating, as I wish I'd had this guitar years ago, when my fingers worked properly!

I'm thinking of taking up the renaissance lute and play thumb inside using only p, i, and m and leave the useless a finger to rest on the soundboard with my little finger, as some early 16th century sources say was the correct technique. At least I'd eventually be able to play an instrument again, without feeling like a beginner.

Steve.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:51 pm

You can use the P,i,m technique for much of the Sor, Carcassi (et al) repertoire as well. I know nothing about Focal Dystonia but perhaps low tension strings might help. Even dropping to A= 415 as well. Due to my limited technique I tend to play P,i,m, 630 mm scale and low tension strings.
Historicalguitars.

rounie

Post by rounie » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:38 am

Hi Stevenpa,

Noooo...not the Richard Howell :(
Let Music Unite All............
Richard Howell No.408 Cedar/Indian-2007

stevnpa

Post by stevnpa » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:24 am

Michael.N. wrote:You can use the P,i,m technique for much of the Sor, Carcassi (et al) repertoire as well. I know nothing about Focal Dystonia but perhaps low tension strings might help. Even dropping to A= 415 as well. Due to my limited technique I tend to play P,i,m, 630 mm scale and low tension strings.
Thanks for the idea Michael.
I've had a look into this.
To do this I'd need to change guitars though as due to the curling into the palm of the little finger and 'a' finger I'd have to rest the little finger on the guitar top necessitating a lower height between the strings and the top.

Best wishes,

Steve.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 pm

The lowest string height is probably a flush fretboard Romantic Guitar model. Beg, borrow or get to try one. Failing that blue-tack a piece of 4 - 5 mm thick piece of wood (where the finger normally rests) on to a cheap Classical Guitar. That should effectively give you some idea on it's effectiveness. No doubt it will take time to adapt to a completely different technique though. Still, Django Reinhardt overcame a pretty serious problem as far as musicians are concerned!
Anyway. . . back to the sale of your Southwell.
Historicalguitars.

stevnpa

Re: UK £.3500 Southwell A Series spruce 2011, London

Post by stevnpa » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:24 pm

Price dropped to £3500 plus shipping, grab a bargain, this is nearly £3000 less than a new one, including a Kingham MTM case, and no waiting list!
I won't drop the price any lower.

stevnpa

Re: UK £.3500 Southwell A Series spruce 2011, London

Post by stevnpa » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:40 pm

Now sold, thanks for all the interest.
Steve

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”