European Spruce
Brazilian rosewood
ebony fingerboard / Brazilian rosewood bridge
sound: warm with lots of sustain and tone color possibilities
condition: near mint
price: $6000
Viewing / trial possible: yes
Location (nearest city): Minneapolis, Minnesota
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

czar

Re: US $.6000 Manouk Papazian spruce 1969, Minneapolis, MN

Post by czar » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:23 am

Well, this is out of my price range, but not out of line for this guitar. I've been trying to figure out why nobody's jumping on this one!

Brazilian, great shape, great sound, spruce that's been "opened up" its got a lot to say for it!

It at least deserves a comment "bump"

Czar

MEL53

Post by MEL53 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Complements to Mr. Harrington for taking such loving care of his '69 Papazian; based on his photos, it is among the cleanest Papazians I have ever seen. Not surprisingly, his asking price is also at the top of the range that I have seen over the past three or four years, which like Czar, is beyond my reach, I'm afraid. Posting a link to a sound clip of the guitar could help in the search for a buyer.

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:24 pm

Just spotted this myself..Wow, what a great value based on the presentation by Dean.

hans

Post by hans » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:50 pm

May I ask the circumstances of the french polish, as I don;t think Papazian put these on. When, why and who put on the french polish.

I ask bc I have a 71 Papazian which needed refinish after Papazian retired and Rodrigo Shopis in NYC put on a french polish. Very nice result and I believe an enhancement of tone.

hans

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 pm

I'm lowering the price to $5000 since people seem to think this is at the top price range. The original finish that Papazian used on all of his guitars was a commercially available (out of the can) oil varnish that he added resins to, to change the color. This finish almost always started to show crazing after a few years and people either live with the imperfection or have it refinished. French Polish is superior finish in every way to the original finish. Papazian also put on a really cheap tuning machine (I think they were Kolb or something like that name) and the roller spacing was non-standard 35mm. So, anyone buying a Papazian stock usually ended up having the tuner holes filled and re-drilled for standard tuners, which is what I had master guitar maker Stephen Kakos do. The tuners are the new Sloanes that have ultra-smooth bearings on either end of the rollers. These tuners are much nicer than the older design Sloanes and the French Polish finish also opened up the sound and now this guitar is much louder, but still has the Papazian sound. It's also important to note that Papazian ran out of a good source for old Brazilian rosewood and European spruce in the later 1970s, so this guitar is even more rare. I've seen later versions of his guitar that say they are Brazilian, but they are another wood that doesn't sound like this guitar does. Given that this is one of the older guitars from the 1960s and it's in near perfect condition for a guitar that is this old, this is really a great deal. If I didn't need money more than I need another guitar there's no way I'd sell it.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Kent

Re: US $.5000 Manouk Papazian spruce 1969, Minneapolis, MN

Post by Kent » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:33 pm

This is a beautiful guitar. Thought I would give this a bump.

simonm

Re: US $.5000 Manouk Papazian spruce 1969, Minneapolis, MN

Post by simonm » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:22 pm

Please note that this guitar was sold years ago.

Return to “Archives of past "Classical Guitars for Sale"”