" -Hooked" - nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
robin loops

Re: " -Hooked" - nails

Post by robin loops » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:20 pm

Also, for good nail health, NEVER destroy the cuticle. Push it back gently as the nail grows out. One of the biggest problems with my hooked/flat nail is that the cuticle naturally (on its own) separates from the nail. I believe this is the main cause for the nail to grow flat (which in my case is the cause for it to curve).
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:28 pm

Only other thing to do is to fold 400 grade wet and dry over the nylon strings and play away until you have the 'correct' ramp for YOU. This way hooked or not, the nail is far less likely to hold onto the string and certainly the initial contact point to midway you will find should be perfect. If the nails still tends to hold onto the string at the release point then simply lose a little of your release point by filing it away square to the finger tip. This way granted you achieve a shorter nail but at least its a correctly shaped nail without the hooked end and with maximum playability and tone. I say all this from my own bad experience and two year endeavour with nails.

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:01 am

I'd go to a nail salon and let them fix your nails. I've had nails hook, crack/split and break off. I no longer have ANY nail issues since I finally worked up the nerve to go get them worked on. I highly recommend you give them a try.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:32 am

I did once think about giving false nails a try and who knows maybe at some point I might.
For me personally the science behind how I attack the strings and my nail shape is still evolving and so it's a slow process. But I think this is true for all players and its a process all players must go through. Very few (if any) have perfect guitar nails! After all every player must and will shape his or her nails according to a number of different factors. A players nail shape will correlate absolutely to their own individual hand position, anatomy and angle of attack etc etc.
The point about shaping with grit paper on strings is that it simplifies the crude but highly important shaping process and is very comforting and confidence building to know you have the correct shape for YOU and not some standard pattern ramp shape taken from a book, which whilst great as a general beginners guide for shaping is simply just that. Nail shaping is obviously a very personal endeavour and a players nail shape 'perfect' for the player is something which we all strive for. I can't imagine John William's takes his nail shape from a book, an
Last edited by dfl3tch3r on Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:45 pm

Just to clarify, an acrylic resin was used to make the repair. It was "painted on" and filed and sanded to shape. The transparent portion of the nail is the resin.
2018-02-10 09.43.00.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Looks pretty good I must admit. How long do these last?

Tom Wimsatt

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:36 pm

Acrylic usually lasts 2-3 weeks, depending on how much you bang them up. I've not been doing this long.
1989 Takamine C132S
Yamaha CG-100A

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Here’s a link to virtuoso Thomas Viloteau and how he shapes his nails to correspond with his own ergonomics and how he plays!
His playing is breathtaking.

https://youtu.be/KcU6ozYT61o

stratlanta

Post by stratlanta » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:48 pm

dfl3tch3r wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:18 pm
Here’s a link to virtuoso Thomas Viloteau and how he shapes his nails to correspond with his own ergonomics and how he plays!
His playing is breathtaking.

Ahh that's a great video! Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Stephan Connor SP/MP
Kenneth Brogger SP/AR
Masaki Sakurai "Special" SP/CSAR
Sergio Perez "Segovia" CD/AR

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:34 pm

I've found that this was the best way to file my nails; with keeping the actual attack orientation in mind. If I don't then my nails don't sound as good and work as well. I was surprised to see the angle in which my nails stroked the string...a bit counter intuitive.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Just to mention an alternative to the spoon and heat method;

I use for sometime a womans hair curling iron ! :o :o :o

( you just have to remove the plastic at the end of the cylinder .. that's where the finger goes, and the nail above the cylinder )

principles are the same, only you dont risk overheating, as these accessories reach up to a specific (hair safe ) temperature :)

I am very satisfied to the moment. :casque:
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Pavlos Gypas 1989
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

CactusWren

Post by CactusWren » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:02 pm

My i and m fingers get a little hooked. What I do is file them at a very shallow angle--as close to 180 as you can get. It's like trying to file the dipped part itself away. I like the shape of the nail itself follow the shape of the fingertip. That seems to work okay.

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:32 pm

CactusWren wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:02 pm
My i and m fingers get a little hooked. What I do is file them at a very shallow angle--as close to 180 as you can get. It's like trying to file the dipped part itself away. I like the shape of the nail itself follow the shape of the fingertip. That seems to work okay.
I also tilt the file at an angle to the nail (basically filing slightly underneath the hook). Once removed, I then finish filing with the file perpendicular to nail. This helps to not remove any more than absolutely necessary. Also find filing them really really short once in a while helps restore strength to it once it gets really weak.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:35 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:51 pm
Just to mention an alternative to the spoon and heat method;

I use for sometime a womans hair curling iron ! :o :o :o

( you just have to remove the plastic at the end of the cylinder .. that's where the finger goes, and the nail above the cylinder )

principles are the same, only you dont risk overheating, as these accessories reach up to a specific (hair safe ) temperature :)

I am very satisfied to the moment. :casque:
Great idea!
-James-

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”