Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
slidika

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by slidika » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:32 pm

Playing frisbee golf. I have to throw left-handed (awkward as all get-out) as otherwise my RH nails suffer greatly.
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

Jason

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:29 pm

Doing yardwork, or wrestling with my dog.
2018 Yamaha gc42s
72 Yamaha gc6d
76 Yamaha g220
71 Yamaha g100a
(At the moment)

GuidoGitarist

Post by GuidoGitarist » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:03 am

When i was rubbing my hands against each other when it was cold, my pinky nail broke in half when I accidentily struck a bit of callus on my hand :chaud: thanks pull ups in the gym for that :cry:
2013 Perez Luthier India 'Abeto'
2017 Alhambra 4F Fishman E1

ElRay

Post by ElRay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:42 pm

Maybe not totally innocuous, but definitely ironic:

Fileing a rough edge before it caught in something and tore.

mcote

Post by mcote » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:59 pm

I was taking wet laundry out of the washing machine, and you know how the washer drum has all these holes so that water can escape during the spin cycle. Well, I caught just the corner of my right thumbnail in one of the holes, and took off just the bit that I actually use to pluck the string. It was still attached by a thread and I was able to do a repair job that lasted until it grew out. I should make a long list of innocuous tasks that seem to always take a toll on the right thumbnail. Right now it's a disaster.

Staffan Strömberg
Student of the online lessons

Post by Staffan Strömberg » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Perhaps not innocuous, but I always seem to ruin my nails when I'm out windsurfing. Do nails get weaker when they're wet?

Fretnot

Post by Fretnot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am

Locking a shower stall. The edge got caught under as I turned the lock. Grrrrr....

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:00 pm

I feel bad for all of you who are having these nail tragedies. You know you can have perfect nails all of the time if you want. If I break a nail, I can remove the rest of it, replace it, and be ready to play in 3 minutes. Lots of professional classical guitarists use artificial nails every day of their lives. You can get as good or better tone than natural nails, no emergencies, and totally safe to use every day. Just have to learn how to do it.

Fretnot

Post by Fretnot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:07 pm

Taking my travel pass out of my pocket. Nail edge hit it and ping! The nail sheared off. Most bizarre.

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Out on the lash with friends, waking to discover my p and i nails chinked and torn. P is natural, very glad that i is artificial!

Actually, I’m not sure that drinking is totally innocuous!

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:22 pm

I was touching up a scratch on my wife's car with an automotive touch up pen. The pen has a large ball on the end similar to a ball point pen. When the tip got clogged I would tap the end lightly on a small piece of metal to clear the dried clog and continue painting. In the middle of the job I lost the small piece of metal. Instead of looking for the piece of metal or making a new one I got lazy and tapped the pen at the base of my right thumb nail to clear a clog. It left a 3 mm stain of paint at the base of my thumb nail. This was last May. I watched all summer as the dot of paint that had stained my thumb travel up my thumb nail. When the stain reached the point where the nail detaches from the skin, late Sept., the stained part of the nail(a three mm dot right in the center), was weak and porous. It left my thumb nail unsuitable for playing. I'm just getting to the point where I can use the nail to play again. If earned my living playing guitar I would certainly use artificial nails.

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:47 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:22 pm
I'm just getting to the point where I can use the nail to play again. If earned my living playing guitar I would certainly use artificial nails.
It's really so easy if you know how. Instead of waiting several weeks for your thumb to grow out, you could, if you wanted to, learn how to apply a nail in about 3 minutes that sounds as good as any natural nail, and never have a nail emergency again. Many professional players use artificial nails exclusively.
We've been doing this for over twenty five years now. Contact me personally, (davekear@volcano.net) and I'll show you how easy it is. It's important to have the right materials and the proper methods of application. But if you do, it's pretty easy to learn. And a really good thing to know how to do.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”