Anyone not use nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
LarryShone
Student of the online lessons

Re: Anyone not use nails?

Post by LarryShone » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:26 pm

I did try to grow my nails on my right hand, however due to where I was working at the time they kept breaking, and catching them on things, and I just gave up. In fact I gave up playing classical altogether due to feeling that if I couldn't play with nails then I shouldn't be playing classical. And if I didnt play classical there was no point in having a classical guitar, so, along with other commitments it went in the cupboard till I could decide what I wanted to do.
But the thing is I find it hard to do without the sound of classical guitar, its just a beautiful sound (in the right hands), and so I would love to try again, but without the commitment of having to grow my nails!
Surround yourself with people dear James, they are easier to fight for than principles.
José Ferrer Estudiante 5208A
Fender DG 5 acoustic
Tanglewood DBLT SFCE electro-acoustic
Tanglewood TU 13M concert ukulele
Brunswick Baritone ukulele
Deacon Mandolin

Petemayo

Post by Petemayo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:19 am

Ok so I broke a nail, got frustrated and cut the all. The longest one may not even be a millimeter.

Yet I can still seem to use them a bit. I am trying to get better with minimal nail so they won't break as easily and I wil
Be less dependent on them longer.

Lockie

Post by Lockie » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Hi

I hate having long nails and rings on fingers. I personally find they interfere with my guitar playing. The advantage is that you can jump on your steel string without any adjustment. The neck width is only issue. Plus if you bite your nails you should not need a nail file.

Regards
Lockie

Judy Verbeeten
Student of the online lessons

Post by Judy Verbeeten » Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 am

Isabelle Frizac wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:01 am
I play also without nails For 50 years.

My teacher José-Maria Sierra-Fortuny, a disciple and friend of Pujol, taught me to play without a nail.
And this method suits me perfectly. I also taught it to my students.

:limaeunghie: :guitare:
Isabelle, I was very leery of even inquiring about the issue of playing without nails. I thought just suggesting such a pursuit may be viewed as heresy or treason on a classical guitar board.

As a retired surgeon, I have always had short nails, and I just cannot fathom having longer nails on my left hand. I am most pleased to discover that there are a good number of classical guitarists who prefer playing without nails.

I have modest classical guitar aspirations, so nails or no-nails is less of a dilemma for me, I suppose. But nonetheless, I feel reassured now and am very pleased to discover that there are other no-nail kindred spirits.

Sylvie P.

Post by Sylvie P. » Mon May 07, 2018 4:42 am

Thank you very much to all for allowing me to discover Rob MacKillop's technique.
With the passing of years I had no other choice than starting to play without nails and was wondering if I could enjoy the sounds I produced as much.
Thanks again. You made my day!

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon May 07, 2018 6:10 am

Cheers, Sylvie. Be confident. There is a long tradition of no-nails playing.

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Without nails you have to be more accurate when striking the string.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon May 07, 2018 5:12 pm

Rubbish. Sorry, but that's nonsense.

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Mon May 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Maybe it’s just me but with flesh / no nail I have a tendency to sometimes connect the string with too much flesh and the string can release poorly

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 am

Yea it definitely could be...you probably would just need to give it time and practice more to develop a flesh technique. It works for thousands of lutenists and a good many guitarists so it could work for you, too :)
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

ode_to_bacchus

Post by ode_to_bacchus » Thu May 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Played with no nails for over 3 decades....had no issues...started growing my nails and trying to see if the perfect shape will change things....no nails...or having nails...really makes no difference to me to be honest. In my case, I guess with time you just adapt your technique if you do not have nails and can achieve loudness and projection. For some reason I do find I use my "a" finger a lot...more than recommended. Just my 2 cents.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri May 18, 2018 6:17 am

I tried nails for three days last week, only to confirm that I am through and through a flesh player.

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Fri May 18, 2018 7:33 am

I only started playing classical guitar some 27 months ago and have been receiving regular lessons with graded examinations.
I figured at my age I have no time to waste so it’s critical that I at least try to get everything right. I know objectivity is one of those things we all think we have so one has to be careful from where we obtain our so called facts. So all I have to draw upon is my learning experience up to this point. I had ‘workers’ hands when I first started playing with absolutely zero nails (well not quite zero but you get the idea 😂). Currently I now have nails and use hand cream regularly 😁 ... All I can really say is I love the nail tone vs the flesh tone and although I do find nails/maintainance a complete pain in the proverbial backside, I do find it even more frustrating and harder to play now when I lose one.
As still a relatively new player, to discover a certain tone from a nail releasing a string is such an amazing thing to me (even if it’s the wrong pitch he he). Though I know Sor would probably disagree with me on everything I have said here.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri May 18, 2018 7:36 am

Not probably. And not just Sor :-)

Only kidding! Whatever works for you is the right choice. Enjoy playing guitar, however you do it!

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Fri May 18, 2018 7:48 am

Thanks Rob... and to be absolutely honest when I first started playing I took a lot of encouragement from your uploads as I battled with nails. Your playing and tone is great 🙂
I think anyone wishing to play without nail should check out your technique upload on YouTube.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”