Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
doug
Posts: 1299
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: Arapahoe, North Carolina 28510

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by doug » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:57 pm

Broke quite a chunk out of ‘i’ today while putting up a new TV antenna for my 90 year old dad. I tried wearing gloves, but just couldn’t work with them on. I guess the big box retailers have put the mom and pop TV stores out of business around here.....couldn’t find one that would put up an antenna, so I did it myself. It was an aggravating job, but I managed to do it.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

prawnheed

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by prawnheed » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:18 am

A toucan bit my finger.

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2761
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:47 am

I just broke off my M nail today, reaching to turn the water on at the sink, I hit the faucet and took it right off. Ops!

rpavich
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am

RaajShinde wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Zipping up my jeans seems to always get me...

Cheers!
I have learned my lesson the hard way! After doing this a few times and feeling that awful feeling of the nail scraping the metal teeth...I now do this, and just about everything else left handed. Zipping up left handed is an art in itself!
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

RaajShinde
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:59 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by RaajShinde » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:13 am

rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am
RaajShinde wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Zipping up my jeans seems to always get me...

Cheers!
I have learned my lesson the hard way! After doing this a few times and feeling that awful feeling of the nail scraping the metal teeth...I now do this, and just about everything else left handed. Zipping up left handed is an art in itself!
I tried the left hand too but gave up because it is indeed an art, as you mentioned. I’ve figured out the right angle to attack the zip with my right hand to ensure that none of the nails engage with the zipper! Seems to be working so far. Knock on wood... :)

Cheers!
The Sage is occupied with the unspoken
and acts without effort.
Teaching without verbosity,
producing without possessing,
creating without regard to result,
claiming nothing,
the Sage has nothing to lose.

rpavich
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by rpavich » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:16 am

RaajShinde wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:13 am
rpavich wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:08 am
RaajShinde wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 pm
Zipping up my jeans seems to always get me...

Cheers!
I have learned my lesson the hard way! After doing this a few times and feeling that awful feeling of the nail scraping the metal teeth...I now do this, and just about everything else left handed. Zipping up left handed is an art in itself!
I tried the left hand too but gave up because it is indeed an art, as you mentioned. I’ve figured out the right angle to attack the zip with my right hand to ensure that none of the nails engage with the zipper! Seems to be working so far. Knock on wood... :)

Cheers!
Maybe tie a short shoe string to it? I had to do that with my guitar case zipper.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Niall Cox
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:53 am

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by Niall Cox » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:39 pm

I used to work in a shop and at least once a month, I'd break a couple of them in one go pulling the shutter down at closing time.
What really used to annoy me was that for a day or two before, I'd be saying to myself "Those nails are getting a bit long, I'd better trim them. Ah, I'll do it tomorrow."

Then I'd stand looking at my hand wondering how I'd done it yet again!!

rpavich
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by rpavich » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Ugh...petting my pug!
(Just yesterday)
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

Fretnot
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:04 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by Fretnot » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Well, I had a great one today. Preparing a traditional Easter sweet for Sunday - I cracked open an egg and made a nice deep nick in the thumbnail I had been carefully nurturing. The previous accident was an infamous zipper.

And a few days before my last music exam, I bent the nail on my ‘m’ back badly when putting on gloves. Carefully hung onto it with several layers of nail polish as reinforcement. Phew!

rpavich
Posts: 716
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by rpavich » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:37 am

Fretnot wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:23 pm
Well, I had a great one today. Preparing a traditional Easter sweet for Sunday - I cracked open an egg and made a nice deep nick in the thumbnail I had been carefully nurturing. The previous accident was an infamous zipper.

And a few days before my last music exam, I bent the nail on my ‘m’ back badly when putting on gloves. Carefully hung onto it with several layers of nail polish as reinforcement. Phew!
Ouch!
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

JoFish
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by JoFish » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:58 am

Slicing vegetables.
"Tell me what/how to think, so I can say the words you want to hear"

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by davekear » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:18 am

If I break a nail, I can remove the rest of it and replace it with a new nail that sounds as good as any great natural nail, in about three minutes. Been doing this now for over 25 years. I never worry about my nails. I can have perfect nails anytime I want in about three minutes.

Sean Eric Howard

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 pm

For me, it's bowling. Had to give it up. Tore my thumbnail every time. Poor bowling technique.

Basketball doesn't help, either.

User avatar
Tomzooki
Posts: 1601
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 am
Location: Quebec city, Canada

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by Tomzooki » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:07 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:11 pm
For me, it's bowling. Had to give it up. Tore my thumbnail every time. Poor bowling technique.

Basketball doesn't help, either.
I t happened to me too, just once, it ripped my entire thumbnail; I never played bowling again!

I also remember that I once burned my thumbnail while burning the end of treble strings to get a anti-slip ball of melted nylon. Now I do knots 8)

And opening the passenger door of my Nissan Juke is quite treacherous too.

Overall, the worst for me is letting my fingernails grow too long when I don’t play for some days - when I have too much working hours.

And using Mavala Scientific nail hardener whitout using along it a good nail treatment (like Ecrinal cream). Mavala alone makes my nails very brittle so they break about nothing. Along with a good treatment cream it is really effective though
Miodrag Zerdoner 8 string Stauffer-Legnani
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

crazyrach97
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Re: Most Innocuous Nail Breaking Task

Post by crazyrach97 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:25 pm

My BF and I remodeling the house and doing all the work ourselves... I've gotten really good at putting on fake nails! He doesn't seem to have a problem. He's got these ridiculously thick, hard nails that don't ever seem to break or wear down. One of the big problems I have doing classical is that with my nails grown out I can't fingerpick a steel-string anymore because the strings just chew up my nails. He can do it all day, damn him... ;-)

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”