Silk nails and smoothness

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
bauersachs82

Silk nails and smoothness

Post by bauersachs82 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:46 pm

I broke my thumb nail about a week ago. It broke very low and it's growing back slow so I bought the Savarez nail kit. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff but even on my first try this "nail" turned out pretty nice. It's very stiff and feels comfortable. The only thing I'm noticing is that I'm not able to file and buff it as smooth as a natural nail. Has anyone have this experience?

Thanks

meouzer

Re: Silk nails and smoothness

Post by meouzer » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Christopher Parkening recommends silk wraps so there can't be too much of a problem if you do it right. Do you have the glue on thick? A thin layer of glue results in a much more durable repair than something thicker. That's also got to allow for more smoothness: no craggly glue edges near the tip.

P.S. Oh my gosh. Over $24.00 for a Savarez nail kit that lasts how long? A few minutes? Get Swiss Silk from strings by mail or elsewhere and you will have enough silk to last for decades. Buy you own thin brush on nail glue, and its all for under 50 cents (times 20 = less than 10 bucks).

bauersachs82

Re: Silk nails and smoothness

Post by bauersachs82 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Yeah I think I put the glue on too thick. I wasn't repairing a crack though. I built a complete nail.

Thanks for the tip about Swiss Silk. It is a much better deal. I bought the Savarez kit from Strings by Mail but it did seem expensive when I saw how much silk actually came with it. The whole time I was using the stick to spread the glue I was thinking a brush would work much better.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”