Advice for fake nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
redmcq
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Advice for fake nails?

Post by redmcq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:47 am

I was wondering if anyone out there has experience using a some of the fake nails or there for guitar? What are the best to use in your opinion? I've seen Rico nails not sure whether to get them or to use a ping pong ball instead.

I have seen that there are Rico nails and guitar players nails, anyone have any insight on which are better?
Many thanks.
.

Sean Eric Howard

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by Sean Eric Howard » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am

I've had decent results with the press on KISS nails. I sand the white ends off. I use a ping-pong thumbnail with two permanent glue dots to keep it on. It works well and when I'm done practicing, I simply pull the nail off. I have to change the dots every two or three days, but I don't have to deal with the flaking left by superglue.

rpavich
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:23 pm
Location: West Virginia, USA

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by rpavich » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am

Tried Rico nails, gel nails, growing my own, and GuitarPlayerNails.

By far the best for me was Guitar Player Nails. They are most like real nails, they are easy to apply and take off, they sound great, and they aren't expensive.
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

SleepyheadRooster
Posts: 225
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:47 am
Location: Oregon

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by SleepyheadRooster » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm

I get mine at the “beauty shop”. I really need them for steel string guitar. I always get the plastic tip with the acrylic nails.

About every 4 weeks I tear them off completely and make sure to scrub my hands well before going in to get new ones. It doesn’t take long. I tried to do my own maybe 10 years ago and I had a hard time getting it right.
Best,
Chuck

redmcq
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by redmcq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Sean Eric Howard wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:14 am
I've had decent results with the press on KISS nails. I sand the white ends off. I use a ping-pong thumbnail with two permanent glue dots to keep it on. It works well and when I'm done practicing, I simply pull the nail off. I have to change the dots every two or three days, but I don't have to deal with the flaking left by superglue.
Thanks I'll look them up.
.

redmcq
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by redmcq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

rpavich wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am
Tried Rico nails, gel nails, growing my own, and GuitarPlayerNails.

By far the best for me was Guitar Player Nails. They are most like real nails, they are easy to apply and take off, they sound great, and they aren't expensive.
Great! Think I'll get some GPN then.
.

redmcq
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by redmcq » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm

SleepyheadRooster wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm
I get mine at the “beauty shop”. I really need them for steel string guitar. I always get the plastic tip with the acrylic nails.

About every 4 weeks I tear them off completely and make sure to scrub my hands well before going in to get new ones. It doesn’t take long. I tried to do my own maybe 10 years ago and I had a hard time getting it right.
Thank you
.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm

redmcq wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm
rpavich wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am
Tried Rico nails, gel nails, growing my own, and GuitarPlayerNails.

By far the best for me was Guitar Player Nails. They are most like real nails, they are easy to apply and take off, they sound great, and they aren't expensive.
Great! Think I'll get some GPN then.
I own GPN (GuitarPlayerNails.com) If you do use any of our nails, you also get support along with that. This is important as there is a learning curve involved with any artificial nail use. Some players need a bit more help than others, depending on how much experience one has had. We have lots of instructions and videos on our site, and you can call or e-mail us any time for personal help. We also have Skype, so we can show you in real time, any aspect of application you may need to see. Our goal is to get our customers over any learning curve, so that you can get standard, great results all of the time. We have very high standards. The end result is that you will be able to create great sounding nails that sound as good or better than natural nails, that you can apply quickly any time you wish. With the correct knowledge and tools, you'll be able to remove an old nail, put on a new nail, and be ready to play in less than 5 minutes.

User avatar
Cloth Ears
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 9:37 am

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by Cloth Ears » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Doesn't the acclaimed flamenco player Grisha Goryachev use your GPN? If they work for him they should be ok for the OP. Keep thinking I should get some as a back up.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Cloth Ears wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 pm
Doesn't the acclaimed flamenco player Grisha Goryachev use your GPN? If they work for him they should be ok for the OP. Keep thinking I should get some as a back up.
Yea, he's been using our nails for over 15 years now. Many professional players use our nails.
Eliot Fisk also has been using them for quite a while.
Both these guys use our nails as a total replacement for their natural nails. They don't use natural nails at all.
If you do get some for back up, it's a good idea to practice on your little finger. So that when an emergency does arise,
it's no longer an emergency.

redmcq
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:44 pm

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by redmcq » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:54 pm

davekear wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm
redmcq wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm
rpavich wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:51 am
Tried Rico nails, gel nails, growing my own, and GuitarPlayerNails.

By far the best for me was Guitar Player Nails. They are most like real nails, they are easy to apply and take off, they sound great, and they aren't expensive.
Great! Think I'll get some GPN then.
I own GPN (GuitarPlayerNails.com) If you do use any of our nails, you also get support along with that. This is important as there is a learning curve involved with any artificial nail use. Some players need a bit more help than others, depending on how much experience one has had. We have lots of instructions and videos on our site, and you can call or e-mail us any time for personal help. We also have Skype, so we can show you in real time, any aspect of application you may need to see. Our goal is to get our customers over any learning curve, so that you can get standard, great results all of the time. We have very high standards. The end result is that you will be able to create great sounding nails that sound as good or better than natural nails, that you can apply quickly any time you wish. With the correct knowledge and tools, you'll be able to remove an old nail, put on a new nail, and be ready to play in less than 5 minutes.
Great, I just recieved your nails the other day and will be contacting you soon for some advice.

Many thanks
.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:03 pm

redmcq wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:54 pm
davekear wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:41 pm
redmcq wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:02 pm


Great, I just recieved your nails the other day and will be contacting you soon for some advice.

Many thanks
Yea, any time. Our goal is to get you to be an expert at this.
And it doesn't take long.

Dave

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm

Great, I just recieved your nails the other day and will be contacting you soon for some advice.

Many thanks
[/quote]

Yea, any time. Our goal is to get you to be an expert at this.
And it doesn't take long.

Dave
[/quote]

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm

davekear wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Great, I just recieved your nails the other day and will be contacting you soon for some advice.

Many thanks
Yea, any time. Our goal is to get you to be an expert at this.
And it doesn't take long.

Dave
[/quote]
[/quote]

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Advice for fake nails?

Post by davekear » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:05 pm

davekear wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm
davekear wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 pm
Great, I just recieved your nails the other day and will be contacting you soon for some advice.

Many thanks
Yea, any time. Our goal is to get you to be an expert at this.
And it doesn't take long.

Dave

[/quote]

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”