Nail File News

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
PeteJ

Nail File News

Post by PeteJ » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:33 pm

I've recently purchased a Wolfram precision crystal nail file and thought I'd add an appreciative review.

It's fabulous. Completely recommended and worth every penny. Cleans as it shines as it polished as it cuts as it shapes and never wears out. Allows very fine shaping with no effort due to rigidity and ease of filing. The perfect Christmas present. I've been using a diamond nail file, grades of wet and dry and a bit of leather for polishing but may not need any of these again.

Thoroughly recommended for players at any level.

Now, where's my sponsorship deal?

celestemcc

Re: Nail File News

Post by celestemcc » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:41 pm

Completely agree! Love it and the (very, very similar) Strings by Mail glass file. I have both; the Wolfram is just a wee bit better. You have to be careful not to take off too much nail with these files, they're so efficient! These and bit of high-grit mesh for polishing edges, are all you need, yes. (I use those Oasis shapers to finish, fwiw.)

The mini sizes are great for pocket or purse and work every bit as well, btw.

(Can we split the deal? lol)
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

Hmm. I think I'll try the Oasis shaper. Happy to split the deal.

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm

I have been using a Wolfram since they hit the nmarket - I know the company owner who is a keen steel-string guitarist and was not satisfied with the files he could get over the counter, so he set to manufacturing the "ultimate" nail file.

That thing revolutionised my nail care overnight. Previously I hated filing; I was using a steel file etc.
The Wolfram is so efficient - takes a lot of nail of with little effort. Push less hard and it is fab for careful shaping. As above, finish with a bit of mesh and done.

Don't confuse it with other glass files - David has done a lot of work and has some microscope pics that show how fine his file surface is compared to others.

Personally (and no I don't have shares), I think it's one of the bargains of the fingerstyle world. Nevertheless, I never cease to be amazed by some guys who will gladly drop several K on a guitar and then begrudge a tiny, tiny fraction of that on getting their nails right. Just the same as buying cheap strings IMHO, or not changing them.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Just checked. They’re out of stock for the basic file. I’ll check back in a few weeks.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Atocha5

Post by Atocha5 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Good morning, I am wondering if there is a video showing how to use these nail files, meshes, etc.? I got a kit from Strings By Mail but there were no instructions and I am clueless. Please try not to tease too badly when you answer! Thanks. 😳

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Plenty of beauty how-tos on YT...

I am not very disciplined with nail care, but when I do get round to it I use a crystal file to get them to about the right length with a basic rounded shape (I do file the edges right down though, so that from behind it looks like the moon rising over your fingertip), then use the mesh over the strings technique (Stephen Kenyon has a good video on this) to get the shape right for playing, then do a final polish with micromesh, paying special attention to the underside of the nail - I'm not sure this gets much love in the over-the-strings phase. You can then maintain for a few days or maybe a week with a bit of buffing and polishing, until the whole thing needs doing again. Every time I do it I kick myself for not doing it more often, but I hate this kind of chore... it's the same with changing strings.

Atocha5

Post by Atocha5 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks, I’ll head over to YT to find out what “mesh over the strings technique” means...and your “moon rising” tip is very helpful, too!

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:03 am

Julian Bream mentions somewhere that he files his nails properly once a week and polishes the rest of the time. My nails grow too fast for this.

I'm now wondering if there's some sort of cream or magic-potion that one can apply to nails that has the same effect as hot water.

litcham

Post by litcham » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:31 am

Just ordered a Wolfram - thanks for the recommend!

jacooob

Post by jacooob » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:52 am

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to recommend "Wetordry" 2000 sandpaper from the company 3M. Somewhere in between a crystal file and the regular strong ones when the paper is new and when used for a time, it is something similar to micromesh. It is normally used for cars and you can buy it cheaply in bulk. I use almost only this nowadays.

Hope it helps someone. Best

Jacob

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:02 am

Jack Douglas wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm
Just checked. They’re out of stock for the basic file. I’ll check back in a few weeks.

The basic file was out of stock so I ordered a mini: a review.

I was really disappointed. It is tiny, just 3”long overall and only 2” of file length. Not a half inch wide. It operated well enough but marginally so especially for the price. You can barely hold it while filing. And it is a coarse file NOT a polisher. And the packaging of the thing was obscene. It came wrapped in a plastic CD jewel case and foam rubber. Very wasteful and unsustainable. Part of the inflated price I guess.

Sorry wolfram. Send my check to the OP.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

litcham

Post by litcham » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 am

Ordered (the large Pro) and it arrived the next day in the UK. I think it's great! Sorry to disagree with Rick Beauregard as my first impressions are the opposite. And they make no claim to it being a polisher: it's a file with two grades, so expecting it to polish is like to thinking a hammer is also a screwdriver. A big plus from me.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Having used it now for a couple of months I can report that it has transformed my nail-care problems and mostly they're a thing of the past. I've tried all the tricks at some time, diamond files, wet and dry, micromesh, etc., but this has them all beat. I struggle to understand how a nail file can have such an impact but suspect it's to do with the cleanness of the cut and the control this gives. Anyway, best gtr-related £15 I ever spent.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:12 pm

PeteJ wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:35 pm
Having used it now for a couple of months I can report that it has transformed my nail-care problems and mostly they're a thing of the past. I've tried all the tricks at some time, diamond files, wet and dry, micromesh, etc., but this has them all beat. I struggle to understand how a nail file can have such an impact but suspect it's to do with the cleanness of the cut and the control this gives. Anyway, best gtr-related £15 I ever spent.
So you don't use anything in addition to the wolfram?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”