Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Jared Lee
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm
Location: Singapore

Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by Jared Lee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:22 am

Hi all,

I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing there was a quicker and easier way to file your nails. I thought of using either an old electric toothbrush or shaver together with micro mesh paper.

Attached are some images of what I put together... It's basically an old electric shaver with micro mesh attached to the rotating shaft, using blue tack. I'm still experimenting with this so not sure if it works well yet.
IMG_20180623_100623_HHT.jpg
IMG_20180623_100637_HHT.jpg
Some aspects that definitely need improvement:
1. Shaft wasn't designed to withstand force. So pressing my nails up against it kind of slows it down and reduces its efficacy
2. Difficult to get under the nails

Anyone else has a better idea? I also saw a video of something similar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

prawnheed

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by prawnheed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:53 am

If I get to the point where I am unable to move my hands well enough to file my nails, I don’t think I will be too bothered about my inability to file my own nails.

Jared Lee
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by Jared Lee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 am

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:53 am
If I get to the point where I am unable to move my hands well enough to file my nails, I don’t think I will be too bothered about my inability to file my own nails.
what if you could do something in a different way that achieves the same results without sacrificing anything? it's kind of like automation in manufacturing industries.

I'm an engineer so perhaps I think differently than you.

celestemcc
Posts: 1210
Joined: Thu May 22, 2014 5:43 pm

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by celestemcc » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:40 am

I tried one to help remove fake nails (the kind of tool that looks like a very small dremel, that they use in salons for acrylic nails). Thinned my natural nail way too much... to anyone who can use one well, bravo! For now a regular file works ok...
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

JohnB
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by JohnB » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:13 am

Jared Lee wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:22 am
I'm sure that I'm not alone in wishing there was a quicker and easier way to file your nails. I thought of using either an old electric toothbrush or shaver together with micro mesh paper.
Sorry but I really don't understand this.

There are two aspects to nail "preparation":

Shaping - perhaps every few days. It needs fine filing, checking with the guitar, slightly adjusting the shape, checking, etc - something I would never entrust to a gadget. (The Wolfram Crystal Files are excellent for this.)

Daily buffing and polishing (with perhaps the very lightest of filing) - to maintain the nails. It takes about a minute or so with the four sided nail buffer that I bought from the "beauty" aisle of the large grocery store I use. Job done.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

prawnheed

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by prawnheed » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 pm

Jared Lee wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 am
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:53 am
If I get to the point where I am unable to move my hands well enough to file my nails, I don’t think I will be too bothered about my inability to file my own nails.
what if you could do something in a different way that achieves the same results without sacrificing anything? it's kind of like automation in manufacturing industries.

I'm an engineer so perhaps I think differently than you.
I am also an engineer. I try to solve problems, not invent things which have no benefit. But each to their own.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by davekear » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Rotary nail files are not good to use for shaping, finishing, or filing for length. Rotary nail files are good for tapering artificial nails at the seam. (When you apply artificial nails, you should only apply them to about 3/4 of the nail plate at the most). Then you can use a rotary file, or Dremel tool to taper flush at the seam. They also work great for removing artificial nails. You should use a medium, flat barrel carbide bit to do this.With a rotary file, you can monitor what you're filing, as you file, so they are very accurate. You can remove an old artificial nail in less that a minute this way. Or, if you prefer, you can use chemicals and soak them for an hour or so. Much better to file them off.
If you remove too much natural nail, and your nail plate is at all sensitive, simply build up the nail with some fingernail glue until no longer sensitive, then go with that, or put an artificial nail on top. Don't worry, your nail will always grow out. Just make sure to keep it sealed.
With the appropriate bit, rotary files can be a great tool to have for artificial nails. Also great for under the nail to remove glue or taper underneath. You would use an under the nail bit for this.

Jared Lee
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:46 pm
Location: Singapore

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by Jared Lee » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:06 pm

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 pm
Jared Lee wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 am
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:53 am
If I get to the point where I am unable to move my hands well enough to file my nails, I don’t think I will be too bothered about my inability to file my own nails.
what if you could do something in a different way that achieves the same results without sacrificing anything? it's kind of like automation in manufacturing industries.

I'm an engineer so perhaps I think differently than you.
I am also an engineer. I try to solve problems, not invent things which have no benefit. But each to their own.
you must be a great engineer to have such an open mind! :lol:

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by davekear » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:36 am

We've had a lot of experience, and also have trained many others in the use of electric, rotary nail files for use with artificial nails.
We'd be glad to answer any questions regarding this if you have any.
Here's a few more pointers:
Make sure to get a file that has variable speed. As there will be times when you need to put in on low speed, (like use under the nail) And sometimes you'll want full speed. Make sure you don't get a cheapy from China. Most of those we've tried have no torque at low speeds, and just stop dead. Some are worse than toys. Use carbide bits, not diamond or sandpaper bits. Diamond builds up too much heat friction, sandpaper is overkill and hard to control.
If you have any ?'s regarding this subject, feel free to ask. It's not that we're so smart, it's just that we've been doing this for a long time.

Dave Kear
Owner of GuitarPlayerNails.com

SteveL123
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 am

Dave,

Have you tried Liquid hide glue? Not Hot hide glue, liquid hide glue comes in a bottle and does not need to be heated and dissolves in water and non toxic.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by davekear » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 am
Dave,

Have you tried Liquid hide glue? Not Hot hide glue, liquid hide glue comes in a bottle and does not need to be heated and dissolves in water and non toxic.
For what, to take the place of fingernail glue?

SteveL123
Posts: 1130
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by SteveL123 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:30 am

davekear wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am
SteveL123 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 am
Dave,

Have you tried Liquid hide glue? Not Hot hide glue, liquid hide glue comes in a bottle and does not need to be heated and dissolves in water and non toxic.
For what, to take the place of fingernail glue?
Yes, exactly.

davekear
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:12 am
Location: California

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by davekear » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:36 am

SteveL123 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:30 am
davekear wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:15 am
SteveL123 wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:32 am
Dave,

Have you tried Liquid hide glue? Not Hot hide glue, liquid hide glue comes in a bottle and does not need to be heated and dissolves in water and non toxic.
For what, to take the place of fingernail glue?
Yes, exactly.
Sure, we've tried all sorts of different glues over the years. But standard fingernail glue is by far the best glue for fingernails. People have been using it for many, many years for that purpose. The reason why they do is because there is nothing equal to it as far as adhesion, cure time, and performance. Used correctly it does not hurt your natural nails. Remember, your nails are always growing out; there will always be new nail. And it's only toxic if you drink it. Even then, it will probably just glue your mouth shut. :) They used to use regular super glue (Ethyl cyanoacrylate) for medical stitches back in the Vietnam war days. It actually has antibiotic properties. These days they use a couple of different cyanoacrylate chemical formulas for medical uses. One of the major ones is called n-Butyl cyanoacrylate. This glue actually works well for fake fingernails and repairs of natural nails because it's less brittle, and as a bonus, has no irritating fumes. So used correctly, although not perfect, fingernail glue (cyanoacrylate) still is the best by far. Nothing else comes close in our experience. I don't think using a glue that dissolves in water would be good for nails. Your nails would come off every time you washed your hands :)

Dirck Nagy
Posts: 860
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:47 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Jared Lee wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:06 pm
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:35 pm
Jared Lee wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:59 am


what if you could do something in a different way that achieves the same results without sacrificing anything? it's kind of like automation in manufacturing industries.

I'm an engineer so perhaps I think differently than you.
I am also an engineer. I try to solve problems, not invent things which have no benefit. But each to their own.
you must be a great engineer to have such an open mind! :lol:
This exchange reminds me of the scene in Antoine de St-Exupéry's Little Prince where Little Prince encounters the man who is selling a water pill, which is designed to rescue a person from wasting 50 minutes per week drinking water. The prince muses that if he had 50 extra minutes to spare, he would enjoy walking to a spring of fresh water.

PeteJ
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:52 pm

Re: Filing your nails: automatic/electric filers?

Post by PeteJ » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:12 am

Great comment. I was musing along the same lines.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”