Gel nail treatment problem

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
raven

Gel nail treatment problem

Post by raven » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 pm

I had seen occasional positive comments from a few members regarding soft gel nail treatments so I finally decided to try it last week. Well, it worked great for about 3 days and I was really excited about the tone I was getting for the first time ever (my nails are naturally very thin). But on about day #4, I could tell something was wrong because the tone changed slightly on the index finger and then on day #7 the gel treatment completely peeled off that nail. It didn't seem like it was adhered properly. The others are starting to do the same at the tips of the nails, except for the thumb which looks good still. Has anyone else using this method experienced this? The salon I went to is large and seems to do a lot of nails and knew what I was talking about needing when I first went there. They used a cleaner of some kind, then a base coat, then 2-3 clear top coats from a different jar, with drying in the special light after each layer. Any suggestions?? Is there something I need to ask about specifically or do differently? I can see where playing the guitar would put a lot of repeated forces right at the tip, which is where the separation started from and I also wonder if I wasn't taking care of them properly afterwards? (I was just doing my usual light filing or buffing every day or two)
Thanks,
David

micklerd

Re: Gel nail treatment problem

Post by micklerd » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:40 am

Have experience with both acrylic and gel nails. Did you happen to use lotion before you went in the salon? Lotion leaves a residue that interferes with the base layer's ability to fully adhere to the natural nail.

Pro-tip: I've been having great success with polygel (a hybrid of acrylic and gel) using dual forms. Do a search for "polygon dual forms" and watch a few instructional videos to get an idea. The process is nearly identical to what you experienced at the salon. You can get DIY kits and LED curing lamp for about $90 USD. The results are superior as you can use the dual forms to shape a thin, flexible, but durable nail that helps create an amazing tone. It feels really light and sounds more like an enhancement of your natural nail.
Last edited by micklerd on Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluetune

Post by bluetune » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:51 am

I have very good experiences with "Guitar Nails Kit":

(Mod edit). Put "Acoustic Music GmbH" and "Guitar Nails Kit" into the .de version of your favorite search engine.

It is very easy to handle and your own nails are not so burdened.
For more questions, ask me ...

raven

Post by raven » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you all very much for the above responses! Good options...still thinking about which to try next.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:01 pm

raven wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:29 pm
I had seen occasional positive comments from a few members regarding soft gel nail treatments so I finally decided to try it last week. Well, it worked great for about 3 days and I was really excited about the tone I was getting for the first time ever (my nails are naturally very thin). But on about day #4, I could tell something was wrong because the tone changed slightly on the index finger and then on day #7 the gel treatment completely peeled off that nail. It didn't seem like it was adhered properly. The others are starting to do the same at the tips of the nails, except for the thumb which looks good still. Has anyone else using this method experienced this? The salon I went to is large and seems to do a lot of nails and knew what I was talking about needing when I first went there. They used a cleaner of some kind, then a base coat, then 2-3 clear top coats from a different jar, with drying in the special light after each layer. Any suggestions?? Is there something I need to ask about specifically or do differently? I can see where playing the guitar would put a lot of repeated forces right at the tip, which is where the separation started from and I also wonder if I wasn't taking care of them properly afterwards? (I was just doing my usual light filing or buffing every day or two)
Thanks,
David
I've been using soft get for about 2 years. Typically, the gel lasts 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. I've never had any peeling in less than 2 weeks. The process my nailist uses is typically

Remove the old gel.
Slightly rough the nails for adhesion.
Soak to clean
One coat (no base coat)
One coat of hardner
Buff to a matte finish

Given that the process at the salon you went to is so different and that the results are so bad, I would be tempted to go to a different salon.

raven

Post by raven » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm

Thank you. You're right, the process was quite a bit different that your person uses. There was no roughing the nails or soaking, just a quick wipe with alcohol. Then I think the total number of coats may have been excessive also. When they peeled off, the thickness of the material was probably half the thickness of my natural nail, so pretty thick. So far every place I call wants to use acrylic stuff though....

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:30 pm

Polygel dual forms.... never heard of them but seems like a possible DIY for UV cured gels without having to use tips.

An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:57 am

raven wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:56 pm
Thank you. You're right, the process was quite a bit different that your person uses. There was no roughing the nails or soaking, just a quick wipe with alcohol. Then I think the total number of coats may have been excessive also. When they peeled off, the thickness of the material was probably half the thickness of my natural nail, so pretty thick. So far every place I call wants to use acrylic stuff though....
I would stay away from acryllic. I tried it once. Unlike soft gel, acryllic is very rigid and felt very unnatural and made it difficult to feel the strings. I would encourage you to keep looking. For me anyway, gel treatments have made a huge difference. Before I had constant problems with my nails. Now I never even think about them.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:03 pm

Application does matter so you might look for someone else who can do a better job. I had the same experience with the soft gel and one nail was gone in a day and the others followed in a few days. Not saying it's no good, just that it is more delicate than acrylic and you probably need someone with a lot of experience to do it. These days most nail salons prefer to do acrylic so it might be difficult to find someone who knows how to do the UV gel. My guy does such a good job installing the powder acrylic that I can wait until the nail has grown half way back before going and either having them filled in or popped off. He takes the thin edge of a fake nail tip and pries under the acrylic and it pops off. Acrylic is harder for sure, but that's one reason I like it. I have a flamenco guitar player friend who loves acrylics, and I have a classical guitar player friend who feels it changes his technique in a subtle but bad way, so it's good to consider everything and see what works for you.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”