Need advise for silk wrap on nail please

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
redmcq

Need advise for silk wrap on nail please

Post by redmcq » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:54 pm

I have weak nails, and have seen people use silk wrap and have been successful.

So what I would like to know is... Silk wrap or fiberglass? What's better and what's difference?
Should I use nail glue or that adhesive gel stuff?
Should I apply 1 layer of the silk wrap or 2?
Should I apply nail polish hardener on top of silk wrap or not?

Please feel free to add your experiences with this and any advice yo u can give!

Many thanks
Gus

redmcq

Re: Need advise for silk wrap on nail please

Post by redmcq » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:56 pm

Also should I apply it to the full name, half the nail or just the end?

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:13 pm

He does a kind of sloppy job, a nail professional can do better, but this will be helpful

An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

davekear

Post by davekear » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Silk is more stable than fiberglass. Doesn't unravel as readily. Cover 3/4 of the nail. Thinner nail glue (cyanoacrylate) is better than thicker for wrap. Best is n-Butyl-cyanocarylate. (That's what Dr's use for sutures). Less brittle.

Ken Kim
Student of the online lessons

Post by Ken Kim » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 am

redmcq wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:54 pm

So what I would like to know is... Silk wrap or fiberglass? What's better and what's difference?

Please feel free to add your experiences with this and any advice yo u can give!

Many thanks
Gus
Hi, Gus.
Try nail hardner called 'Sally Hansen Hard as Nail' before you go thruogh all those above. Well, best solution for weak or thin nails would be Acrylic or Gel nails done by nail prof. in my experience, but too much expense and time for every 2 weeks. Simple one coat of this nail hardner ($5 or $6) stay about 2 weeks before nails grow back.
Hope you find right solution for your nails.
Ken
🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Robert England Hauser
Amalio Burguet Especial
Cordoba Master Series Rodriguez
Cordoba Master Series Torres

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 am

Hi, Gus.
Try nail hardner called 'Sally Hansen Hard as Nail' before you go thruogh all those above. Well, best solution for weak or thin nails would be Acrylic or Gel nails done by nail prof. in my experience, but too much expense and time for every 2 weeks. Simple one coat of this nail hardner ($5 or $6) stay about 2 weeks before nails grow back.
I just tried this.. so far.. it does seem to reinforce the nail a bit. The best thing about it is the gloss finish it leaves you with.. very smooth. Like they have been carefully buffed. Even though I did a bad job applying the clear coat.

I find it a little challenging painting my right nails and getting it even.. but, I think with time I'll figure out how to best apply it. I have a feeling doing 2 or 3 thin coats will be best. It was a little more tricky than I anticipated.

Thanks for reminding me we had some of this in the medicine cabinet Ken.. I've been worried about my nails being a bit too thin, I have a little more confidence in them now. Plus they look nice. 8)

P.S. This stuff takes a while to dry if you put it on thick.. I've managed to mess up two of the nails waiting for them to dry, another reason why thin coats might be preferable.
Why is the bed never made?

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:21 am

Ken Kim wrote:
Hi, Gus.
I think there are variety of good solutions out there. I get a gel treatement done every two to three weeks by a nail professional. For me it's been like a miracle... I've totally stopped thinking about nail breakage, and the look and feel (unlike acrylic) are very natural. The downside as Ken Kim points out is the time and expense (except...or especially because ...my nailist is two doors down from main Yamaha showroom so it's an opportunity to stop and look enviously at the collection of luthier made guitars every few weeks, which I suspect may end up being very expensive at some point.)

I tried Sally Hansen Hard as Nail before, but it didn't really work for me at all.

msa3psu

Post by msa3psu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am

I've used the Hard as Nails brush on stuff to apply a wrap and to coat the wrap. I use the bag part of a normal tea bag as the wrap material. It works for me.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:44 pm

Ken Kim wrote:
redmcq wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:54 pm

Many thanks
Gus
Hi, Gus.
Hi there thanks for the advice.. I have used a few different nail hardeners before and while they definitely made them feel stronger, they still weren't strong enough for my weak nails. Did Sally hansen give you much better results than other nail hardening products?

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm

dtoh wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:21 am
Ken Kim wrote:
Hi, Gus.
I think there are variety of good solutions out there. I get a gel treatement done every two to three weeks by a nail professional. For me it's been like a miracle... I've totally stopped thinking about nail breakage, and the look and feel (unlike acrylic) are very natural. The downside as Ken Kim points out is the time and expense (except...or especially because ...my nailist is two doors down from main Yamaha showroom so it's an opportunity to stop and look enviously at the collection of luthier made guitars every few weeks, which I suspect may end up being very expensive at some point.)

I tried Sally Hansen Hard as Nail before, but it didn't really work for me at all.
How do gel treatment nails compare to using silk wrap?

I've never used gel treatment but have used fake guitar playing nails before now they were really good I thought, sounded great and were really strong but, if I were to use them it mean I would have to for the rest of my life as they always ended up peeling off eventually and weakening my nail underneath which isnt something I want to do as I would much much prefer to be able to use my natural nail.

Do you have any problems with gel nails with them peeling off or weakening the natural nail? Or do they stay in position when done by a professional?

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56 pm

msa3psu wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am
I've used the Hard as Nails brush on stuff to apply a wrap and to coat the wrap. I use the bag part of a normal tea bag as the wrap material. It works for me.
Interesting, think I'll use silk wrap over a tea bag though!. Does it add more strength to paint nail hardener on top of the wrap? Could that not make it harder for the nail to breathe or is the nail already not gonna be able to breath with the wrap on it.?

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:57 pm

davekear wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Silk is more stable than fiberglass. Doesn't unravel as readily. Cover 3/4 of the nail. Thinner nail glue (cyanoacrylate) is better than thicker for wrap. Best is n-Butyl-cyanocarylate. (That's what Dr's use for sutures). Less brittle.
Thanks a lot Dave!

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 pm

davekear wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Could I also just ask... I've been bathing my nails in coconut oil/shea butter every few days which has definitely made them feel healthier and a bit harder. Would doing this be bad / not work if I have silk wrap glued to my nail? Would it cause the silk wrap to peal off the nail?

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:07 pm

I didn't find the super glue silk to be very good or long lasting. Powder acrylic is tough as nails, lasts the longest, and every nail salon does them. It's more difficult to find the liquid UV-cured gel being done at a nail salon, and it's not as durable and long lasting and if the nailist is not experienced with it, it might not even last a day. (my experience). Some don't like the acrylic because it can be too thick or too rigid, but I don't mind that. I may give the uv-gels a try again, I hear the softer and thinner material can sound more like a natural nail, but I have not found a pro to install it to a satisfactory result yet, probably because they all seem to prefer the acrylic.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

msa3psu

Post by msa3psu » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:30 pm

redmcq wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:56 pm
msa3psu wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am
Interesting, think I'll use silk wrap over a tea bag though!. Does it add more strength to paint nail hardener on top of the wrap? Could that not make it harder for the nail to breathe or is the nail already not gonna be able to breath with the wrap on it.?
The hard as nails is fiber reinforced and provides enough strength. The tea bag just serves as a support to apply the hardener. I don't use any glue; just the hardener. The stuff on top of the bag material is the new nail material in the case of building up a fake nail or the new surface in the case of supporting weak nails or repairing a chip or split. You can build it as thick or thin as you like. I blow dry with an electric hair dryer as I apply the stuff and/or build up layers. I only cover the part of the nail that protrudes beyond the finger tip and a little bit back from there but I leave as much of the natural nail exposed as possible.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”