Need advise for silk wrap on nail please

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
davekear

Re: Need advise for silk wrap on nail please

Post by davekear » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:14 pm

redmcq wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:03 pm
davekear wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Silk is more stable than fiberglass. Doesn't unravel as readily. Cover 3/4 of the nail. Thinner nail glue (cyanoacrylate) is better than thicker for wrap. Best is n-Butyl-cyanocarylate. (That's what Dr's use for sutures). Less brittle.
Could I also just ask... I've been bathing my nails in coconut oil/shea butter every few days which has definitely made them feel healthier and a bit harder. Would doing this be bad / not work if I have silk wrap glued to my nail? Would it cause the silk wrap to peal off the nail?
There would be no purpose for using coconut oil/shea butter if you're using wrap. If you did that prior to using wrap, that would be fine. Just make sure to wash your nail well before applying any wrap. If your nails are strong, and you can play long and hard with them, you don't need wrap. Nice to have a back up plan in case of nail emergencies though. I personally haven't used my real nails in over 30 years now. If I need a new nail I can remove an old one, apply a new one, and be ready to play in about 3 minutes. The important thing to remember, in whatever you do, is to strive for uniformity and variability of tone. Also the character (timbre) of tone is important, as well as feel. Having great sounding nails all of the time is not difficult, but you have to work at it a bit, and find what's right for you. And you have to know what you're doing.

Here's a short demo I made showing uniformity of tone, (very important in tremolo's) and diversity of tone.

redmcq

Post by redmcq » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:08 pm

davekear wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:14 pm
redmcq wrote:
davekear wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:06 pm
Silk is more stable than fiberglass. Doesn't unravel as readily. Cover 3/4 of the nail. Thinner nail glue (cyanoacrylate) is better than thicker for wrap. Best is n-Butyl-cyanocarylate. (That's what Dr's use for sutures). Less brittle.
Could I also just ask... I've been bathing my nails in coconut oil/shea butter every few days which has definitely made them feel healthier and a bit harder. Would doing this be bad / not work if I have silk wrap glued to my nail? Would it cause the silk wrap to peal off the nail?
There would be no purpose for using coconut oil/shea butter if you're using wrap. If you did that prior to using wrap, that would be fine. Just make sure to wash your nail well before applying any wrap. If your nails are strong, and you can play long and hard with them, you don't need wrap. Nice to have a back up plan in case of nail emergencies though. I personally haven't used my real nails in over 30 years now. If I need a new nail I can remove an old one, apply a new one, and be ready to play in about 3 minutes. The important thing to remember, in whatever you do, is to strive for uniformity and variability of tone. Also the character (timbre) of tone is important, as well as feel. Having great sounding nails all of the time is not difficult, but you have to work at it a bit, and find what's right for you. And you have to know what you're doing.

Here's a short demo I made showing uniformity of tone, (very important in tremolo's) and diversity of tone.
OK thanks. Yeah I have used your GPNs are really rated them, gave me great sound and were super strong compared to my natural which allowed me to play with a lot more power. I would prefer to be able to my natural nails however, still trying to find a solution for my weak nails, hoping silk wraps could be the answer. If not will use GPN as they worked great for me, I would just prefer to use my own nails. Also I kept having issues where the fake nails would start peeling away and after removing the nails the natural nail felt very weak.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:20 pm

redmcq wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:50 pm
How do gel treatment nails compare to using silk wrap?

I've never used gel treatment but have used fake guitar playing nails before now they were really good I thought, sounded great and were really strong but, if I were to use them it mean I would have to for the rest of my life as they always ended up peeling off eventually and weakening my nail underneath which isnt something I want to do as I would much much prefer to be able to use my natural nail.

Do you have any problems with gel nails with them peeling off or weakening the natural nail? Or do they stay in position when done by a professional?
I tried silk wrap a couple of times, but for me it was a pain to do and didn't look great. I expect with more practice it gets easier.

With gel, very occasionally (once or twice a year) I will get a little peeling especially if I go more than 3 weeks without a treatment. That said, it only takes about 10 seconds to file any peeling down so it's flush with nail.

When I first started doing gel, I did my whole nail and I felt like my nails were getting a little dried out and thin. Now I just get the gel on the top half of the nail, and my nails seem completely healthy.

IMHO, the only downside of gel is the time and cost, but frankly drinking a cappuccino and chatting with my nailist every few weeks is a nice break.

davekear

Post by davekear » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:28 pm

redmcq wrote:

I kept having issues where the fake nails would start peeling away and after removing the nails the natural nail felt very weak.
That's probably the main problem people complain about. It's easily remedied. If you use acrylic nails, any type of artificial nails, ping pong balls, etc., sometimes when you remove them, it can leave behind a thinner natural nail. Here's how to fix that. First of all, always apply any type of artificial nail to only 3/4 of the natural nail plate at the most. Always leave the back of the nail free. When removing an artificial nail, don't soak them off with chemicals, that takes a long time, is messy and has problems. The best way to remove an old nail is with a rotary fingernail file or Dremel tool. You can use a hand held emery board type file... they're not as accurate or as quick, but they still do a pretty good job. However with a rotary fingernail file, you can remove an old nail in less than a minute, and you can monitor what you're filing as you're doing so. Very accurate. You can leave some of the old nail on if you wish to avoid any thinning of the nail. And remember, the nail is always growing, no matter what, it will always grow out, and you'll always have new nail growing behind it. If you do end up with part of your nail too thin, simply add some nail glue, or wrap and glue to the area, and build it up so that there is no longer any sensitivity. You can then leave it as it is, or apply a new nail on top. I've been using artificial fingernails every day now for over thirty years. My natural nails are fine. Many professional players use artificial nails exclusively. Follow the above, keep the nail sealed at all times, and you'll have no problems. By the way, with your rotary file use a flat barrel medium carbide bit to remove nails, and also get yourself a medium under the nail bit, and you'll be in fingernail heaven.

DCGillrich

Post by DCGillrich » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi Gus

I endorse an earlier comment about using nail strengthener, at least over a trial period.

My nails are not bad, but the i finger nail, especially, is thin, and my right-hand thumb nail sometimes cracks transversely on the right-hand (non-playing) edge. The crack grows over time, and eventually there is no choice but to cut my nail back, even after patching the crack for a period using silk wrap and glue. Also if I let my nails grow too long, they are prone to chipping. However, I found nail strengthener has made a huge difference. I don't know exactly how it works, because the nail grows from only the cuticle end, but my nails are harder and, apparently, slightly thicker overall. I could easily see the benefits after about a month.

I am using 'Nailtiques formula 2+' from strings-by-nails. However, from feedback from colleagues, there are many other products that do a similar job. I used to apply it every day, but now only a few times each week.

I use 'silk-wraps' only to fix a crack or broken nail (very rare now). Also, using the proper nail glue, rather than super glue is definitely preferable; it dries more slowly giving you time to apply the wrap material, lasts longer in a bottle, and is less corrosive on the nail.

Cheers... Richard

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 pm

I love that I'm not the only one driving myself crazy over this stuff

:lol: I love you guys.

I'm having a hard time getting the hard as nails to go on smoothly, unless I put it on thick. maybe I will try putting it on thick and then using a hairdryer.
Boom boom boom boom.

msa3psu

Post by msa3psu » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Christopher Langley wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:21 pm
I love that I'm not the only one driving myself crazy over this stuff

:lol: I love you guys.

I'm having a hard time getting the hard as nails to go on smoothly, unless I put it on thick. maybe I will try putting it on thick and then using a hairdryer.
I suggest multiple thin coats to build a surface. Use the hair dryer to dry each and buff to dull the surface a bit before applying the next coat. if the final coat isn't smooth enough for your liking you can sand it smooth and buff to the gloss you like.

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:43 pm

I only have experience using silk wrap. I used it because my a finger nail began to break way below the end of the tip. I used the silk wrap with the rosin to reinforce the nail so that it would grow out naturally without breaking. It took about 6 weeks for the nail to grow back to where it was useful again. The silk wrap was rather unsightly and I had to replace it 3 times during those 6 weeks. That said it worked very well, held my nail together, and did not affect tone quality at all. I happen to be very fortunate in that my nails are very very strong. That said my thought is that for people that don't have such strong nails this would be a really good way to reinforce them.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Post by Christopher Langley » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:01 pm

msa3psu wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:42 pm

I suggest multiple thin coats to build a surface. Use the hair dryer to dry each and buff to dull the surface a bit before applying the next coat. if the final coat isn't smooth enough for your liking you can sand it smooth and buff to the gloss you like.
Thank you, I'm sure this is the right way to go about it.
Boom boom boom boom.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”