How much time to grow fingernails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Bill Talley

How much time to grow fingernails

Post by Bill Talley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 am

Hi,

I'm pretty much starting from scratch as I moved from steel string with pick to nylon fingerstyle. I have two questions:

How long does it take to get the right hand up to par with fingernail growth? For example my middle finger seemed to be coming along fine, but my index, ring and thumbnails were lagging way behind. I'm wondering if I'm looking at weeks or months to get them right. (I had to file down the middle finger since was getting hung up).

I was also wondering how much practicing wears down nails? I thought maybe my ring finger was coming along slower because it was wearing down more than the others. I also do a lot of typing at work because I'm a programmer and thought this might be slowing it down too.

Thanks.
Cordoba C10 SP/IN
Alhambra P4 Cedar
Alvarez D-8 (steel string)
Love guitars, especially nylon string :^)

soltirefa

Re: How much time to grow fingernails

Post by soltirefa » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:40 am

I wouldn't obsess about it too much. It will evolve over time and you'll get a feel for it. One can play with very short nails, even without nails.

By the way, I heard that continental drift moves at the rate that fingernails grow. Interesting.

Martin Davis

Post by Martin Davis » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:41 am

I'm new to the classical guitar also, taking if up in July of this year and it took me up until a couple of weeks ago to to get them to a decent length. Although, I'm going for a shorter length, just 1mm over the top of the finger.
2010 Yamaha GC-31C Made in Japan

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 am

Different rates for different people. One trick I learned is to take a hot shower. Then after you get out, take a pointed file and run the tip under the nail along the softened cuticle. This will push the cuticle away and expose more of the nail.

As for making your nails last longer, I've heard people had luck using products such as Healthy Hoof on their nails. Daily grooming also goes along way. I habitually run my fingernails against each other to find any little nooks or crevices, and file them out as soon as I find them.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

dng

Post by dng » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:43 pm

they say on the net ... it's about 3mmm to 3.5mm a month... factoring in age, diet, hormone, overall health etc...

I found that if I file my nails just a little bit every day (not too much to shorten them) they grow a bit faster. They say filing the nails often it stimulates their growth... it's yet to be confirm.
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two.”
-Frederic Chopin

lionpants

Post by lionpants » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Nuts and other proteins make mine grow faster. I also use Hoofmaker to strengthen them, and a glass nail file to keep them an even length.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Bill Talley wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:20 am
How long does it take to get the right hand up to par with fingernail growth?
CarbonElitist wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:30 am
Different rates for different people.
I think there's a bit of variation but it's usually quoted that fingernails take about 10 days to grow 1 millimetre.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 pm

lionpants wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 pm
Nuts and other proteins make mine grow faster. I also use Hoofmaker to strengthen them, and a glass nail file to keep them an even length.
How long do those last? The glass file.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

lionpants

Post by lionpants » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:04 pm

Forever, so far. Years. I also use extra fine grit sandpaper, which I keep on the music stand.

LipeB

Post by LipeB » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:08 pm

When I started, I promised myself to no let my nails grow because of my job... so many people told me aboute the benefits of playing with long nails that I let them grow until I thought it was the limit for me.

It took, probably, around 2 weeks from very short, then they just get filing and shaping when needed. They just support the fingertips and very little off the tips, like it's always time to trim if I were to, but not enough to be questioned by my clients and/or colleagues. The tone I can get out of the guitar makes me happy, and nails are not much of a headache.

Thumb nail only supports the tip, since it should be considerably longer to use it in playing, and I can't afford to do it.

Regarding nails wearing down, you shouldn't worry about it, since your nail growth compensates for the wear. Just keep and eye on dents and nicks on your nails so your sound is better and you don't scratch yourself or others. A fine grit file is one of your best friends to keep your nails always in shape.

Also you want to start being careful on some daily tasks, or even changing hands to permform them. Zipering your pants with long nails can be a hassle or damage them.

Bill Talley

Post by Bill Talley » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks to everyone on the tips and advice! Still working on good right-hand nail care. Funny thing is my useless pinky nail is the healthiest of them all!
Cordoba C10 SP/IN
Alhambra P4 Cedar
Alvarez D-8 (steel string)
Love guitars, especially nylon string :^)

Tim522

Post by Tim522 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:05 pm

Bill Talley wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:17 pm
Thanks to everyone on the tips and advice! Still working on good right-hand nail care. Funny thing is my useless pinky nail is the healthiest of them all!
Not if you play/practice 4 finger rasguedos :wink:

claudiabarton

Post by claudiabarton » Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm

My nails grow freakishly fast, so much so that ever since I was a child I've needed to cut them twice a week or they grow really long, like claws :o my hair grows really fast too, I always need a haircut... I always assumed there was a correlation with hair and nail growth

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:29 pm

claudiabarton wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 5:11 pm
My nails grow freakishly fast, so much so that ever since I was a child I've needed to cut them twice a week or they grow really long, like claws :o my hair grows really fast too, I always need a haircut... I always assumed there was a correlation with hair and nail growth
Same here, both my hair and nails grows fast! My nails grow up to the tip of my fingers, such that I have to file them back with a glass file every other day, otherwise they touch the fretboard and interferes with clean fretting. On my plucking fingers I also have to file them back every other day otherwise my hooked nails will catch the strings.

claudiabarton

Post by claudiabarton » Fri May 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Glad to hear somebody else has this issue - solidarity!

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”