After 50 years or so I found a global solution for my nails!

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
JLV

After 50 years or so I found a global solution for my nails!

Post by JLV » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:43 pm

Hi all,

I am 60 and I play since I am 6.
Only since a year ago, I found what works for me!

I could write miles of explanations but I am too lazy right now and will just give a quick overview.

1-the shape
Instead of trying randomly to find the good shape I use now Thomas Viloteau's technic and it makes a huge improvement.
Here is the link for those interested:

2- the strength
After years of striving to find a solution to have strong nails I discovered a nail hardener called "Hérôme extra strong nail hardener"
I do one coating one evening, let it dry all night, then polish it with some micro mesh paper and do the same the second evening and again polish next morning so it is not shiny and nobody sees it.
It lasts from 2 to 3 weeks and I repeat the operation when needed.
I found that 2 coatings were perfect fro the thickness I want and the strength of the nails.

3- the polishing
1200 sanding paper (ultra thin ) used wet with few drops of hand dishwashing liquid.

Advantages of this technic

Same shape, same length, same strength weeks after weeks.
No worries about broken nails anymore and all the paraphernalia you have to repair them.

And as says Thomas, you have to minimise all the variable parameters to practice efficiently. (same chair, same stool, and same nails!)

Here are my 2 cents.

Best,
1970 Daniel Friederich
1914 Enrique Garcia

Christopher Langley
Student of the online lessons

Re: After 50 years or so I found a global solution for my nails!

Post by Christopher Langley » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Very interesting.

Every time I see a post about nails I try to let them grow.

Every time I cut them off as soon as they start hitting the strings. X.x
Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Is there a reasonably priced source for the Herome product in the US? Big River offers it for $90!
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 pm

JLV wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:43 pm
Hi all,

I am 60 and I play since I am 6.
Only since a year ago, I found what works for me!

I could write miles of explanations but I am too lazy right now and will just give a quick overview.

1-the shape
Instead of trying randomly to find the good shape I use now Thomas Viloteau's technic and it makes a huge improvement.
Here is the link for those interested:

2- the strength
After years of striving to find a solution to have strong nails I discovered a nail hardener called "Hérôme extra strong nail hardener"
I do one coating one evening, let it dry all night, then polish it with some micro mesh paper and do the same the second evening and again polish next morning so it is not shiny and nobody sees it.
It lasts from 2 to 3 weeks and I repeat the operation when needed.
I found that 2 coatings were perfect fro the thickness I want and the strength of the nails.

3- the polishing
1200 sanding paper (ultra thin ) used wet with few drops of hand dishwashing liquid.

Advantages of this technic

Same shape, same length, same strength weeks after weeks.
No worries about broken nails anymore and all the paraphernalia you have to repair them.

And as says Thomas, you have to minimise all the variable parameters to practice efficiently. (same chair, same stool, and same nails!)

Here are my 2 cents.

Best,
Thomas also has some great videos on Tonebase worth watching. That image of his nails shows basically a flat straight line across the i,m,a fingers. His nail shape with a reverse ramp on a and m have a lot to do with his supinated arm position where he keeps the pinky closer to the soundboard than some players do.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

rpavich

Post by rpavich » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm

Interesting! Thanks for the tip on the nail hardener
Asturias AST-100-heavily modified by Robert England.

a human

Post by a human » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:52 pm

What grit of sandpaper do you use when first determining your nail ramp? I tried some x-fine I had on hand, but it was tediously slow. Oddly, my ramps are more subtle than the video, so I can see where you need to check your own.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

Tremeggio

Post by Tremeggio » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:13 pm

I think finding what really works for an individual in terms of nails can be a very long journey of exploration. For me it has taken 20+ years to really find a system that suits me.

I use fake nails that come with sticky dots/tabs. For two reasons these are the best solution for me.
1. I do a lot of yard work so even though my nails are quite strong they inevitably break.
2. After much experimentation (which by the way tab on nails are great for because you can pull one off and stick another on if you’re not happy with the shape) I have found that the shape of fake nail I have settled on is wider than my natural nail and so would not be possible with my natural nail.

JLV

Post by JLV » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 pm

@ahuman
I use 800 for first approach then 1200 for polishing (dry) then 1200 wet with few drops of dishwashing liquid.
The last step is fundamental and brings a real sound improvement.

I follow Thomas Villoteau on Tonebase ( I registered and i am addicted, so many great masterclasses!)
1970 Daniel Friederich
1914 Enrique Garcia

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”