Extreme Curving and Hooking of Medio (m)

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Todd Tipton
Teacher

Extreme Curving and Hooking of Medio (m)

Post by Todd Tipton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Over the past few years, m has been curving downward. Since then, I've been using the old hot spoon straightening technique about every other day. My problem was easily solved. But over the past two days, I've having to use this technique nearly every hour or so. Of course I'm worried with a thousand thoughts...this can't be good for my nail...why the sudden change...why isn't the spoon working, etc.

Any insights?

Thanks in advance. :oops:
Dr. Todd Tipton, Noda Guitar Studio
Charlotte, NC, USA (available via Skype)

Telespargel

Re: Extreme Curving and Hooking of Medio (m)

Post by Telespargel » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:23 pm

A picture would help. Maybe you can solve the problem with the right filing and flattening of the nail. The right nutrition could also help to make the nail harder.

astro64

Post by astro64 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:09 pm

My i -finger nail curves down. I sometimes use the hot spoon technique, which works quite well, but I also get lazy sometimes (or the nail is too short for the hot spoon to work) and then I just file a straight ramp. As long as I get that middle part of that nail that curves down filed away (and so I leave the corners of the nail in place, not rounded away because that makes the downward curve show up again), it works fine. I don't know why the problem nail would be worse all of a sudden. Could it be dry air related to heating the home? In the winter my nails tend to be more brittle than in the summer.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi,
I have the same problem on m, and occasionally on a and quite often on c also. I have never tried to get them straight.
I have noticed the c finger nail has more hooked as I kept it longer for lasugueos than the others.
Eventually I have figured out the hookings are not any issue at all with proper picking technique that exclusively employs the left end of each nail except for p.
The justifying picking mechanism that I finally figured out back in a while is something like one being analyzed in-depth at the beginning of the video. It is worth watching through, and it specifically addresses the anatomical difference of the nail shapes from around 9:30:

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 am

It must be something environmental for such a sudden changes in properties. Has something about relative humidity and/or temperature changed in the last few days, in either direction? (I am assuming you have not suddenly started soaking your hand in hot water i.e. that your own behaviour has not changed)
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks for all the replies. A sudden change may be turning on the heat in my house. Yet I didn't think it would cause my nail problem. ANyway, I'm dealing with it. I don't know how I missed it, but I've never seen that Kanengiser video. What an awesome find! I really enjoyed how he talked about nails!

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm

Yeah, that Kanengiser video is worth its weight in gold.

As to nails - despite being 'dead', their material properties are affected quite significantly by humidity (they do absorb moisture) and temperature, so the keratin may not be holding straight as well as before. The only other thing which is just good advice in general, is to make sure one is not vitamin A or D deficient and to take omega-3 essential fatty acids (the EPA and DHA kinds, not the ALA kind).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Todd Tipton
Teacher

Post by Todd Tipton » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 pm

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:52 pm
Yeah, that Kanengiser video is worth its weight in gold.

As to nails - despite being 'dead', their material properties are affected quite significantly by humidity (they do absorb moisture) and temperature, so the keratin may not be holding straight as well as before. The only other thing which is just good advice in general, is to make sure one is not vitamin A or D deficient and to take omega-3 essential fatty acids (the EPA and DHA kinds, not the ALA kind).
To be honest, I've been insanely busy. I'm embarrassed to say my diet has suffered recently. That could be part of it.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”