Anyone embarrassed by the nails?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
joejitsumd

Anyone embarrassed by the nails?

Post by joejitsumd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:32 am

I grew mine out to a length that was still short for classical but much more than I would have walked around with previously and I was always self conscious about the length. Found myself hiding my fingers.

jscott

Re: Anyone embarrassed by the nails?

Post by jscott » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:46 am

At times, yes. I try to keep them clean. Oddly, I'm most self conscious when taking communion. I try to hide them but it's always too late! And there's no way to explain...Oh and once in a while I'll dig in when giving someone a hug. Bad!

bear

Post by bear » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:04 am

What's to be embarrassed about? My nails are not only long but because they are thin, I have multiple layers of what looks like a clear nail polish.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

LipeB

Post by LipeB » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:32 am

I get a little uncomfortable when my nails are much longer than they need to be. I got used to having longer nails than no nails, but shorter than used by most of the players I know.

Although having them a little longer is good for playing, I get too conscious about them, and try to hide my nails when around other people. Since I've been liking to play with nails, I keep them as short as I can, just long enough.

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:39 am

If anyone gives me guff about my nails I just scratch their eyes out.

2lost2find

Post by 2lost2find » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:42 am

No... but I was born missing my "gives a crap what other people think" gene, so I'm not a good representative sample.

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 am

This happened while I was in college. Taking a break from practicing, I was sitting in a hallway filing my nails. A woman walking by noticed what I was doing and stopped.

“I know why you’re doing that,” she said to me. “You’re a classical guitarist, and you have to keep your right hand nails at a certain length and shape to play.”

Without looking up, I casually replied: “No, I just like pretty nails.”

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:26 am

After growing some nail length I quickly learned to do several portions of the physical exam left handed.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:15 am

One time when the checker at the grocery store was handing me the plastic bag full of the stuff I just bought I almost impaled her with my thumb nail as I grabbed the handles on the bag. Got to be careful.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:29 pm

What is the problem? You are a guitarist, for goodness sake. Long nails come with the territory. If people ask, tell them. Otherwise forget about it.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:58 pm

If you play with flesh and nails, your nails will not extend much beyond the tip of your finger, perhaps a mm or so. This will not be immediately obvious.

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Absolutely not. No one ever comments. Maybe i need to paint them to draw some attention LOL

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:05 pm

Without looking up, I casually replied: “No, I just like pretty nails.”
Easier for me, as a woman: no one really notices. But... once I'd stopped at a rest area off the highway. Returned from the ladies' with my purse open, and got in the car. A man called out to me, "Ma'am, you dropped this,". It was my Oasis nail shaper. (If you've seen one, they're curved like this )( with four different shaping surfaces/grits. Don't look like a typical nail tool.)

Anyway, I took it and thanked him. He said, "What is it, anyway?" And I replied (not thinking very fast): "It's a nail file for classical guitarists,".

He stared at me a moment, then said, "Ask a stupid question..." and turned back to his car. LOL!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:15 pm

Once upon a time, when I was in the hospital for a very scary broken wrist, the ER nurse noticed my fingernails and said "Oh, you were a guitarist!"

(note the use of the past tense!)

cheers!
dirck

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”