recommend nail care?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Thomas

recommend nail care?

Post by Thomas » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Any thing you can recommend to take care of my nails?
filing etc...

in stringsbymail.com direct link ?

Dirck Nagy

Re: recommend nail care?

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:39 pm

A small nail file and some very fine sandpaper (600 grit or P1200) should be all you need. Use a file with "diamond-stone" or corundum instead of an Emory board file or a plain metal file; these others will tear your nails.

For repair, I use several layers of Superglue and Cotton fiber.

cheers!
dirck

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:39 pm
A small nail file and some very fine sandpaper (600 grit or P1200) should be all you need. Use a file with "diamond-stone" or corundum instead of an Emory board file or a plain metal file; these others will tear your nails.

For repair, I use several layers of Superglue and Cotton fiber.

cheers!
dirck
Isn't 600 grit sandpaper to course ?

I use one of the multi sided nail polish block things

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:07 pm

SBM sells micro mesh kits that I love and have used for years. They also sell a ruby stone crystal nail file that is excellent. When I break or crack a nail I don’t attempt to repair it. Instead, I file it down and patiently wait for it to grow out again. Winter is the worst time for nail breaks, but since I don’t play professionally I just put up with the week or so inconvenience.
Richard Brune 'Artist' Cedar/Brazilian 1996

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Randy Johnson wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Yes. Thanks for catching that.

I forgot to add: "buff with a piece of leather"

You can also use worn-out 600 grit sandpaper as the final buff.

cheers!
dirck

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:57 pm

Dirck Nagy wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:28 pm
Randy Johnson wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:11 pm

You can also use worn-out 600 grit sandpaper as the final buff.

cheers!
dirck
Even worn P1200 is to coarse. I get nail polishes from the beauty department. The tip of the nail needs to shine like glass.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I do not mind to pay to get all online neat clean ready made no worries , Any link you can direct me guys? Thanks

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm
I do not mind to pay to get all online neat clean ready made no worries , Any link you can direct me guys? Thanks
Your answer was written above, but in case you didn’t understand go to Strings by Mail, then to guitar accessories, then to nail care. Under the topic, nail care, you’ll find the micro mesh kits and the Ruby Stone file. Direct links are not allowed on Delcamp so you’re on your own to get to the site.

Bill-stl

Post by Bill-stl » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:15 am

I agree with joachim33. I use a nail buffer from a beauty supply. Has a course ( probably 1200 grit, a fine, smoother yet and a buffing side which polishes the edge nicely. Made for the top of the nail but perfect for the edges. The vitamin B and ohnamyr oil to strengthen and moisturize. Stops cracking or splitting.
Esteve Fernandez Valencia

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
Your answer was written above, but in case you didn’t understand go to Strings by Mail, then to guitar accessories, then to nail care. Under the topic, nail care, you’ll find the micro mesh kits and the Ruby Stone file. Direct links are not allowed on Delcamp so you’re on your own to get to the site.
I tried to search in stringsbymail site I used " Ruby Stone file " No search result it seems they have changed the product?

CPAULF

Post by CPAULF » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:58 pm

I used P1500 SIASPEED from Switzerland sand paper bought at an automotive paint dealer. So I have super smooth glass like touch.
YAMAHA GC-5 (1971) Ezaki, YAMAHA GC-6D (1972) Kato, YAMAHA GC-20D (1972) Kato, YAMAHA GC-15 (1980) Ezaki
YAMAHA SLG-120NW, KAZUO YAIRI AR518 (1988), YUKINOBU CHAI #10 (2004), RAIMUNDO 180 (1996)
BUT...
THE FINEST INSTRUMENT IS THE MIND

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:13 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:19 pm
Jack Douglas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
I tried to search in stringsbymail site I used " Ruby Stone file " No search result it seems they have changed the product?
Follow these instructions and do not use ‘search’
Under nail care there are three categories: there’s one for micro mesh, one for nail kits/health and another category for files and buffers. If you’ll simply click on files and buffers a number of items will display, however, if you’re using your phone only three items will display and you’ll need to scroll down the page until you find the Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File.
I’m not sure how I can be more detailed and clear. If you have trouble following this just call or email them.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:13 pm
Under nail care there are three categories: there’s one for micro mesh, one for nail kits/health and another category for files and buffers. If you’ll simply click on files and buffers a number of items will display, however, if you’re using your phone only three items will display and you’ll need to scroll down the page until you find the Ruby Stone Crystal Nail File.
I’m not sure how I can be more detailed and clear. If you have trouble following this just call or email them.
OH OK now I can see ! Thank you very much for your time. I put that and some other items in my cart to place order

Please see my Cart screenshot ready to order :)

But Can you please do me another favor and let me know what items I do not need in the above cart .
It seems I am ordering similar items too ? :oops:

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:48 pm
Jack Douglas wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:13 pm
OH OK now I can see ! Thank you very much for your time. I put that and some other items in my cart to place order

Please see my Cart screenshot ready to order :)

But Can you please do me another favor and let me know what items I do not need in the above cart .
It seems I am ordering similar items too ? :oops:
I have tried them all. In my opinion I would only buy the micro mesh multi pack and the ruby stone crystal file.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:07 pm

Just when I tried to buy Ruby stone it was out of stock it seems some people so this post and placed order :) LOL I had to do a back order

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”