How many times a week do you work on your nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Thomas

How many times a week do you work on your nails

Post by Thomas » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:03 pm

All my life I ignored my nails , I am not a professional classical guitar play I play ever thing :)
a little classic , some very simple flamenco , pop songs what so ever so perhaps that is why

Do I need to trim my nails every day?

joachim33

Re: How many times a week do you work on your nails

Post by joachim33 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:03 pm
All my life I ignored my nails , I am not a professional classical guitar play I play ever thing :)
a little classic , some very simple flamenco , pop songs what so ever so perhaps that is why

You should polish every time before playing. Makes a night&day difference. Sometimes I shorten (file - scissors are an absolute no-no) only every second day. With me nail care eats ample time.

I am also an amateur and was very surprised how heavy my tutor picked on my nails when I started with her. I was using 1000 grid and she said way to coarse. She was absolutely correct. Very cheap gains regarding tone production. Essential even for an amateur.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:53 pm

I don't trim daily, but do polish the edges daily, sometimes twice, depending on how they wear.

Scissors are a no-no: correct! As are nail clippers. If you can spend on it, glass files (Strings By Mail has a good one) are terrific for taking off length. They're better than manicurists' glass files.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

davekear

Post by davekear » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:03 pm

Yes, but only your toenails, leave your fingernails alone. No trimming, just filing and shaping. (Unless they're ridiculously long).
Actually you maintain your nails as you need to. It's not how many times a week. If they're rough, smooth em out. If they're getting a bit long, file them.
Also, get a good teacher to help you with these things until you understand them well. Take a few months of lessons (or more) from a good teacher.

bear

Post by bear » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:41 pm

I file them back when they produce an unpleasant tone.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 am

About once in every 7-10 days.

I could do more often but I just leave them grow for a while, because for me it is also important to be able to cope with different circumstances that includes slightly different nail lengths. We all try to avoid accidents but they do happen nonetheless. I have to be reasonably prepared for the accident.

I often start off my day with guitar daily workout for 1/2 hour (because the first 2-3 hours of the day are crap if I work), and which includes some flamenco picado (fast I-M picking) and pulgar (P finger fast playing). My picado gets slower when the nails gets longer because they catch strings more. Likewise the pulgar.

When this situation has taken place, I start thinking when I did the nails last time :lol: then if it is more than 7 days before, then I go "yeah I thought so... let's do the nail AFTER the workout" and keep working out for the 1/2 hour, then do the nails.

There are some other benefits, in particular you will experience various modulation of the tones at different nail lengths some of which you might like and incorporate in your performances. You cannot expect this if you do your nail perfectly everyday or every other day, without making any mistake. Here we draw on our imperfect nails.

Fortunately my nails have been strong enough, so I do very little compared to some other players. I just clip the excess and file it with the file on a clipper, then rub the edges with my leather waist belt. Occasionally I use a strip of 1000' sanding mesh for some minor touchups, as there are perceived (and not measurement) imbalances of nail lengths, especially between P nail length and the other nail lengths, sometimes affect my performance, and it's nice to have the strip handy instead of a nail clipper.

I hope this handier practice example helps you.

Ceciltguitar

Post by Ceciltguitar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:03 am

When I am fortunate enough to be playing guitar every day (which is far too rare these past few years), in the evening, I can tell that my nails are longer than they were in the morning, and in the morning I can tell that my nails are longer than they were the previous evening.

So, every day I will spend a few minutes shaping, smoothing, gently sanding my fingernails.

Aside from that, since I use glued plastic strips beneath my nails, and use swiss silk on top of my thumbnail and index finger nail, once every week or two these nail props need 30 - 60 minutes of attention.

rinneby

Post by rinneby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:06 am

I polish mine many times per day... It's like meditation for me ;)

/Jon
Feel free to ask me anything about Japanese classical guitars.

Brian99

Post by Brian99 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 am

yes, several times a day... I use a polishing pad and even keep one in my pocket when I'm out of the house. I wear gloves when doing any work or even just carrying any heavy or big items. Its a way of life. Just an amateur and I hardly ever perform.. but my ears have become attuned to getting a sweet sound. Several times a day polishing means I rarely need to file.
Brian

Conall

Post by Conall » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 am

Not sanding / polishing / buffing the playing side of your nails every time before you play is like a violinist chucking away his £10k bow & using a stick with a rubber band on it instead.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi again,
Tonit wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:23 am
Occasionally I use a strip of 1000' sanding mesh for some minor touchups
Regarding this, I recommend meshes than papers if you experience heebeegeebees (goosebumps) using papers to grind your nail. Apparently I am one of them. The sound of the nail going over the sanding paper is not the world's best music to my ears, and oftentimes deprives me of my motivation to go through the process and play.

You have less chance to have such issues with meshes. Furthermore, you can use both sides in case of meshes, and it becomes dull but by far slower than papers, as the mesh texture allows the nail particles to fall off from the surface without sticking thereto.

The only con of meshes I found is, they are not best stashed in your pocket, as both sides are abrasive, and may make a hole in your pocket.

Also, buffing part is best done with a piece of leather face IMPO. I have always used it since when I was 10 y.o. I had a small piece for this back at the time, but today I just rub my nails with my leather belt. I don't know why but it makes them extremely smooth. Probably that's partly because of the leather wax of some sort on the surface. You can do this buffing every time you play to feel good about it.

chrisW3

Post by chrisW3 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:51 pm

It seems like I can tell my nails have grown in the space of 1 day. I haven't found a quick way to both file and polish them back up, so tend to file only every few days.

moonshadow

Post by moonshadow » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:21 pm

I polish them several times a day. Getting the lenght and angles right every 7-10 days. For various reasons I never do any major fixing the day of a concert. I usually need a couple of days of adjusting after the big fix before everything feels just right.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 pm

Zero seconds. Once in a while I'll bite them off :-)

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:13 pm

How about your left hand Rob?
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”