How many times a week do you work on your nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
RobMacKillop

Re: How many times a week do you work on your nails

Post by RobMacKillop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 pm

I bite them off too! :-)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:08 am

I polish them once a day. Thumb every three days.
Fritz Ober, Torres/Hauser model, 2010, spruce/maple
Giovanni Tacchi, Bouchet model, spruce/BRAZ, 2018

CurtVal

Post by CurtVal » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:26 pm

I practice about 2-3 hrs a day about 4 days a week, but play the guitar everyday. I shape my nails daily with an extremely fine nail file and finish with 500 grit sandpaper. It can be hard to find a nail file fine enough to just take a day's growth off without taking off too much. So what I do is take two new nail files (Revlon type) and file the two together to take off most of the grit. I will do it on both sides, so the files are identical. That way, I have files that will never take too much off at any one time without really working at it. I will also rub two pieces of the 500 grit sandpaper together to also take off a bit of grit.

Tony Hyman

Post by Tony Hyman » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:08 pm

I find myself having to file about every third day. I use a small file which I found at the bottom of the toolbox. It seems to keep me happy. I don't have any hook-ups after working with that little baby. All truths get revealed when working on tremolo or something like Astirius, that's for sure.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:41 pm

In general, the more frequently you work on your nails, the less there is to do each time. I do it as many times as I practice. Practicing without prepped nails can be a waste, or worse. I'm still experimenting a bit so the file stays handy while I practice.

I use a glass file. They're very fine, but also can work aggressively with the right touch, which saves time. I don't always polish, though I should (to prevent accidental snags at least). For polishing I use a fine grit wet/dry sandpaper, front and back. I keep a small piece in my wallet, too.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:49 pm

Every day, and particularly before playing
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras Doble tapa

NoLikeThisAndres

Post by NoLikeThisAndres » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:30 am

Being in the trades and constantly working with my hands demands that I have to tend to my nails on a daily basis. It's actually pretty frustrating because as soon as I get them to the correct length, I'll chip them. It's an ongoing struggle. I thought about the no nail approach but the tone is unsatisfactory to me.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”