please recommend nail glue that works

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Thomas

please recommend nail glue that works

Post by Thomas » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 am

some nail glues do not last long
Can you please recommend one that works

thanks

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Re: please recommend nail glue that works

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:28 pm

I find all the ones I try work, but tend to lose their effectiveness once opened.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

Crofty

Post by Crofty » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:28 pm
I find all the ones I try work, but tend to lose their effectiveness once opened.

How do you know they work then Stephen?

You've got to open them to get at the glue.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:44 pm

Crofty wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:53 pm
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:28 pm
How do you know they work then Stephen?
You've got to open them to get at the glue.
Aha, that's where I've going wrong all these years then! :oops:

Paul, its that once a pot of glue has been used for the first time, perhaps a couple of times, it seems to be less good at staying stuck, particularly when gluing a bit of false nail down. I may be wrong but that's the impression I have.

Anyone got any use for 23 partially used pots of nail glue?
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:15 pm

For what it's worth... I like drugstore brush-on nail glue to set the artificial nail on the nailbed. Then I use N-Butyl Cyanoacrylate glue in a pipette to fill the edges and under the nail. Dave Kear's site has the latter glue at an excellent price. It's very thin and perfect for that kind of application. It also really does seem kinder to my natural nails.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

davekear

Post by davekear » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm

You didn't say what the purpose was for using the nail glue. If you're using the glue for repairing a natural nail, then you should use wrap with the glue. (Silk wrap is probably a better choice than fiberglass or linen) If you're using the glue to apply artificial nails, make sure to wash your hands and rub the natural nail with some alcohol before application. Also rub some alcohol on the artificial nail to clean it before application, then let dry. If repairing a natural nail, first apply a thin layer of glue to the crack. Rub it in with your left index finger if you're not too afraid of super glue :) Then add the wrap with enough glue to cover the fibers, but not so much that it pools. File, smooth and then add 1 more thin layer of glue. Use regular (Ethyl cyanoacrylate) nail glue for repairs.
For strengthening natural nails or applying pre-formed nails (ABS plastic), the n-Butyl cyanoacrylate works great because it's less brittle and adds less brittleness to the substrate. (natural nail).

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:22 am

davekear wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm
You didn't say what the purpose was for using the nail glue. If you're using the glue for repairing a natural nail, then you should use wrap with the glue. (Silk wrap is probably a better choice than fiberglass or linen) If you're using the glue to apply artificial nails, make sure to wash your hands and rub the natural nail with some alcohol before application. Also rub some alcohol on the artificial nail to clean it before application, then let dry. If repairing a natural nail, first apply a thin layer of glue to the crack. Rub it in with your left index finger if you're not too afraid of super glue :) Then add the wrap with enough glue to cover the fibers, but not so much that it pools. File, smooth and then add 1 more thin layer of glue. Use regular (Ethyl cyanoacrylate) nail glue for repairs.
For strengthening natural nails or applying pre-formed nails (ABS plastic), the n-Butyl cyanoacrylate works great because it's less brittle and adds less brittleness to the substrate. (natural nail).
Great answer thanks a lot. Basically some times my nail breaks and I want to put them together for some time or in emergency situation before performance and some times I need to get myself a fake nail and attach until my nail grows back so can you please send me if not possible here in PM the products names I can look for in Amazon? Thanks

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 am

As far as I am aware nail glue is just superglue. I have used regular superglue for thirty years. Kitchen tissue paper will bridge a crack. Ping pong ball cut outs for creating a fake nail. This has pretty much been the standard forever. Superglue is your best friend.
Classical guitar teacher

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:32 am

Julian Ward wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 am
As far as I am aware nail glue is just superglue. I have used regular superglue for thirty years. Kitchen tissue paper will bridge a crack. Ping pong ball cut outs for creating a fake nail. This has pretty much been the standard forever. Superglue is your best friend.
Will not superglue be bad for health , cancer ? skin irritation ?

Julian Ward

Post by Julian Ward » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:00 pm

Superglue has been used in healthcare applications for a long time as far as I am aware. I was once told by somebody far older than me to not believe the 'hype' ....nail glue IS superglue. Superglue costs about £1 in my local hardware shop.
Classical guitar teacher

davekear

Post by davekear » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:56 pm

Thomas wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:22 am
davekear wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm
Great answer thanks a lot. Basically some times my nail breaks and I want to put them together for some time or in emergency situation before performance and some times I need to get myself a fake nail and attach until my nail grows back so can you please send me if not possible here in PM the products names I can look for in Amazon? Thanks
Thanks Thomas, I sent you a P.M.
Dave

simonm

Post by simonm » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:23 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:44 pm
Paul, its that once a pot of glue has been used for the first time, perhaps a couple of times, it seems to be less good at staying stuck, ....
The moisture in the air is the culprit. C.A. requires moisture to cure. So once the container is open the moisture in the air starts to cure the contents of the container. Packs with a bunch of very small tubes are better from that point of view.

mainterm

Post by mainterm » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:09 pm

Thomas wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 am
some nail glues do not last long
Can you please recommend one that works

thanks
After many years of tinkering with nail repairs for guitar playing, I found the Loctite brand super glue to be the best all around.

To Stephen's point, Loctite also retains its effectiveness once opened more so than other brands I've tried - Superglue, Krazy glue, and various nail kit glues. Perhaps this has something to do with the container design. I didn't use 3M's CA product enough to form a strong opinion.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”