Rasgueado is breaking my nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Thomas

Rasgueado is breaking my nails

Post by Thomas » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:53 pm

Rasgueado practice is breaking my nails now my question :

Is there any thing I can put like a protective layer over my nails some thing like glue ..

Have guitarists come up with some thing?

:?: :?:

ronjazz

Re: Rasgueado is breaking my nails

Post by ronjazz » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 pm

two things: you're hitting too hard, and you can reinforce your nails in any number of ways. the flamencos use a bit of super-glue and tissue paper on the tips of their nails. But a rasqueado does not need to be hard-hitting, and shouldn't be.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:48 am

ronjazz wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 pm
two things: you're hitting too hard, and you can reinforce your nails in any number of ways. the flamencos use a bit of super-glue and tissue paper on the tips of their nails. But a rasqueado does not need to be hard-hitting, and shouldn't be.
Thanks any product suggestion?

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 am

Liquid acrylic nail hardener. You put it on like nail polish, and it dries to a hard plastic coating that encases the entire nail. It’s the best – you don’t even know it’s on. First coat underneath the nail, then the top with vertical strokes down the nail. Don’t try to get too fine a coat. Put on a reasonable amount and brush it out. That will prevent the coat from being too thick, and also even out the coat. Don't make the mistake that some do of putting on too thin a coat. Two coats is usually enough, but experiment with a possible third. Three will last two weeks or so, depending on how much you play.

As for brands: Many years ago Juan Serrano told me he used a nail hardener “Sally Hansen Hard As Nails,” and I have used it for all these years. But get the original – red and white label, says “Hard as Nails” in a red horizontal stripe. Most drug stores have it.

A couple of years ago one of my students said he had found a liquid hardener that was fantastic. I tried it and now that’s all I use. Makes your nails like steel. Two good coats and you can rasgueado till the cows come home. (Guardame las Vacas.) :D But it’s not in stores. It’s called “Irene Gari Calcium Base Coat.” Same application as above. You can get it online, and I just got some on Amazon.

You can try both, but I think if you start with the Irene Gari you will probably just stick with it.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:14 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:53 am
Liquid acrylic nail hardener. You put it on like nail polish, and it dries to a hard plastic coating that encases the entire nail. It’s the best – you don’t even know it’s on. First coat underneath the nail, then the top with vertical strokes down the nail. Don’t try to get too fine a coat. Put on a reasonable amount and brush it out. That will prevent the coat from being too thick, and also even out the coat. Don't make the mistake that some do of putting on too thin a coat. Two coats is usually enough, but experiment with a possible third. Three will last two weeks or so, depending on how much you play.

As for brands: Many years ago Juan Serrano told me he used a nail hardener “Sally Hansen Hard As Nails,” and I have used it for all these years. But get the original – red and white label, says “Hard as Nails” in a red horizontal stripe. Most drug stores have it.

A couple of years ago one of my students said he had found a liquid hardener that was fantastic. I tried it and now that’s all I use. Makes your nails like steel. Two good coats and you can rasgueado till the cows come home. (Guardame las Vacas.) :D But it’s not in stores. It’s called “Irene Gari Calcium Base Coat.” Same application as above. You can get it online, and I just got some on Amazon.

You can try both, but I think if you start with the Irene Gari you will probably just stick with it.

Ramon
Thanks great
I found the later but for the first
Do you mean this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:20 am

No, no. that’s for women to use like nail polish. Read my description. It’s clear, not any color. Anyway just try the Irene Gari.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:46 am

LOL none of them ship to my country but I just asked my daughter and she gave me one then told me "Dad don't you remember? you got this years ago and you did not use it , you gave it to me and I did not use it either so here you are.... :)

It was not necessary to ask here :)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:29 pm

Get the Irene Gari. Amazon ships.

Ramon

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks I did , I tried other seller in amazon :) The one I had at home takes hours and hours to dry

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 pm

Let us know what you think of it.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:17 pm

Sure , one question how long does that take to dry ? I used the one at home 6 hours or so and still can't use my fingers :)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:59 pm

Fifteen minutes.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Fifteen minutes.
LOL mine probably 15 days . Good I ordered this one :)

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Post by Ramon Amira » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:23 pm

Throw that other stuff away.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Powder acrylic nails are really strong. Usually you go to a nail salon and they do them for you.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”