Rasgueado is breaking my nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Tonit

Re: Rasgueado is breaking my nails

Post by Tonit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 pm

ronjazz wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:21 pm
two things: you're hitting too hard, and you can reinforce your nails in any number of ways. the flamencos use a bit of super-glue and tissue paper on the tips of their nails. But a rasqueado does not need to be hard-hitting, and shouldn't be.
I agree. It's rather the speed than the pressure of the strokes that makes the sound louder.
Also it is a good idea to check the nail lengths. Oftentimes you need a little longer nail on your C (pinky) that is significantly shorter than IMA. If you don't have the longer c nail, then that might cause IMA to hit the strings harder, resulting in excessive pressure applied to IMA nails.

Longer P nail might also cause issues when playing abanico lasugueado, so that you might redefine your P nail shape to something that works for both classical and flamenco (or lasgueado techniques). Some are keeping longer toenails to attach to cracked finger nails, or using a piece of ping pong ball shell for the purpose. I have employed neither of those solutions, as I am lucky enough to have stronger nails.

Otherwise I can only suggest Ben Woods' nail video. Again I never had any issue with my own natural nails so that I have no experience in doing any of those cares in the video.

I hope this helps you.
Last edited by Tonit on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tonit

Post by Tonit » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:48 pm

(Deleted Dupe)

Terpfan

Post by Terpfan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:51 am

Eat jello everyday. Seriously.

Thomas

Post by Thomas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Ramon Amira wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 pm
Let us know what you think of it.
It came today and I applied on my nail. The instruction says apply it two times and also says do it after afew days?
Do I need to apply this after a few days again? How long does that last?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”