Extremely soft layered nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Mandocaster

Extremely soft layered nails

Post by Mandocaster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 am

When I was a cigarette smoker, I had various rationalizations for smoking. I’m a loner. That’s why I like standing outside in the cold by myself smoking, and so on.
As I’ve gotten older, my once strong nails have become very soft, prone to flaking and bending. So similar to my old smoking rationalizations, my official story is that I prefer the sound sans nails.

I’m sure there are loads of folk here in the same boat. I’ve tried a clear coat, but I still get the flaking issues. Suggestions?
Mitch Lawyer
Cypress, Texas

Mandocaster

Re: Extremely soft layered nails

Post by Mandocaster » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:13 am

I notice that there is a zillion post thread called “given up on nails” close by. Mine is probably redundant.
Mitch Lawyer
Cypress, Texas

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:32 am

You are not alone, and there's no need to stand out in the cold. Check out https://rmclassicalguitar.com

Charles Baldour

Post by Charles Baldour » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:27 pm

Check out Nailtiques Formula 2 or Formula 2 Plus. With the first application you should notice a positive result. Just be sure to remove it with non-acetone remover, or it could damage your nails further. These have worked for me in the past. When I tried using standard top coats of other polishes I would still get the flaking as well.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”