Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
TJurcsisn

Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Post by TJurcsisn » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and best practices from those who have gone the route of acrylic nails, not just for emergency replacement but as a committed alternative to natural nails. Specifically I'm interested in those who apply the acrylic themselves (as opposed to a nail studio).

What products do you use?
Where do you get them?
How do you apply?
Comments/concerns about tone?
Etc.

Any remarks (and especially pictures) will be appreciated, thanks.

TAJ

guit-box

Re: Acrylic Nail Best Practices

Post by guit-box » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:17 pm

TJurcsisn wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:58 pm
Hi All,

I'm looking for advice and best practices from those who have gone the route of acrylic nails, not just for emergency replacement but as a committed alternative to natural nails. Specifically I'm interested in those who apply the acrylic themselves (as opposed to a nail studio).

What products do you use?
Where do you get them?
How do you apply?
Comments/concerns about tone?
Etc.

Any remarks (and especially pictures) will be appreciated, thanks.

TAJ
I've done it myself, buying kits from Sally Beauty supply, but found letting a pro who does a better job than I can is the way to go. The most difficult thing about DIY is you're working left handed. That's not to say you can't do it yourself and/or there aren't bad pros. If I did it myself again I'd probably find out what brands the pros use, use a magnifying visor and be sure to do all the sanding, cleaning, disinfecting, priming steps required to make sure it sticks well. I pay $12 for 4 nails so it's not really that bad to pay less than $100/year on my nails.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

Rob

Post by Rob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 am

Guitar Player Nails has a variety of products and instructions for using them

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:20 am

1. I would use soft gel..... not acrylic. Results are totally different.

2. If you can afford it, got to a professional nailist/manicurist..... at least until you see how it's done and how good the results are.

3. Once you know how to do it, it's just a question of being able to consistently apply the gel with using your LH.

a human

Post by a human » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Stick on silk wraps and nail glue may be a more minimalist approach and DIY friendly. Search YouTube for silk wraps and guitar for ideas.
Last edited by a human on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1965 Krempel Classical (660ish mm)
The rest come and go.

guit-box

Post by guit-box » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm

Tonebase has a lesson called "Fake Nails" where the guitarist describes how she does her own acrylic nails. I don't find it to be a particularly great instructional, my nail pro does a better and faster job with a electric rotary tool w/ a flex shaft. But it is helpful and demonstrates another professional guitarist using acrylics successfully. There are a lot of legitimate options that others have listed, but acrylic nails are the most durable and long-lasting in my experience. You can definitely get good tone with acrylics, you'll find others who say you can't, but it's a poor craftsman who blames the tool for unsatisfactory results.
An eyewitness will often only see what he already believes to be true.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:35 am

guit-box wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 pm
Tonebase has a lesson called "Fake Nails" where the guitarist describes how she does her own acrylic nails. I don't find it to be a particularly great instructional, my nail pro does a better and faster job with a electric rotary tool w/ a flex shaft. But it is helpful and demonstrates another professional guitarist using acrylics successfully. There are a lot of legitimate options that others have listed, but acrylic nails are the most durable and long-lasting in my experience. You can definitely get good tone with acrylics, you'll find others who say you can't, but it's a poor craftsman who blames the tool for unsatisfactory results.
No question acrylic is the most durable and long lasting. However, IME the trade-off is that your nails become very rigid and you have less feel. When I touch the string with acrylic on my nails, I know I'm in contact but can't tell what part of the nail is in contact. With soft-gel, the feel is almost identical to natural nails. Down side is that you have to replace the gel every 3 weeks. YMMV.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”