Crack forming in nail. How to stop it from spreading?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
CarbonElitist

Crack forming in nail. How to stop it from spreading?

Post by CarbonElitist » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Every now and then I will get one of these and it will eventually cause the whole nail to pop off. It’s a bit too far to file out so I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions about how to stop it long enough for the nail to grow out?

Edit: To the mods: Thanks for moving this thread I guess. But next time can you let me know you did so? I had to check my post history to find it.
Last edited by CarbonElitist on Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

smoon01

Re: Crack forming in nail. How to stop it from spreading?

Post by smoon01 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:16 pm

looks like you've got a few months of solid growing as that rip is quite far in to the point where filing sideways into the nail won't be feasible. For now you could try some nail hardener and then super glue and just hop the nail heals?

DaveLloyd

Post by DaveLloyd » Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:34 pm

That happens to me sometimes, especially on the thumbnail.

Some manufacturers (Loctite, Gorilla) sell superglue in containers that have a small brush applicator.

I try to lift the torn edge very slightly and then brush superglue into the tear to achieve a sort of laminated effect. Squeeze the two together until set, and then apply a thin coat of superglue over the top. Finally tidy the whole thing up so that there are no rough edges.

Some maintenance is required. Keep an eye on it and apply more superglue when and if required, and don't allow any rough edges to develop.

Hopes that helps!

It works for me (usually)!

Alan Carruth
Luthier

Post by Alan Carruth » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:00 pm

In my experience super glue doesn't always adhere well to nails. Skin, yes, nails, not so much.Lightly sanding the nail will help by raising the 'surface energy'. It sounds 'new age' but it's a real thing; you get a better glue bond on a freshly worked surface. I have also had some luck in the past with reinforcing the glue using paper. Again, it helps to very lightly sand the surface of the paper, and if you can rub in some baking soda that also helps; the alkali kicks over the glue. Spread some super glue around on the nail and lay the paper down on it, across the crack. A torn edge to the paper works better than a cut one. Pu a layer of super glue on the outside of the paper as well once it's down.

This is not always reliable. The more reliable option is to go to a nail salon. They will have glues that will stick better, and more expertise. Just tell them you're a guitar player, and they'll know what to do. It will look better than the stuck-on paper, too...

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Get nail glue and follow the instructions. Not sure how different it is from super glue, but presumably they've tweaked it a bit specifically for nail applications. Found in the ladies section of department stores /makeup counters etc.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:55 pm

Several coats of brush on super glue. Apply, wait until it's dry, then buff it down using nail sandpaper. Repeat these steps at least 3-5 times. You'll have to re-do this after a week or two. But it'll keep the crack from splitting.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

GerryM

Post by GerryM » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:45 am

Nail wrap and brush on super glue. You can buy plain self adhesive silk nail wraps from Amazon for about $5 for 40 precut pieces (Swiss Silk by Supernail). I use the brush on superglue from Stewart McDonald but you can use regular nail gel (also from Amazon for about $5). You can also get these things at drugstores or a big market with beauty supplies but they may not have plain stuff. If you like pink gel and little decorations though this was there when I looked. :D

Clean the nail with something like acetone (nail polish remover) or denatured alcohol. You can sand it lightly if you like to increase adhesion but I didn't. Choose a silk which is the width of the nail. Peel off the backing and stick it to the nail. Use a nail file or garnet board filing in a straight down direction to cut the end of the silk to match your nail. Sounds difficult but is simple and only takes a few seconds.

Brush on a coat of gel or superglue. It soaks thru the silk and bonds it to the nail very well. The gel takes 15 minutes or so to dry, the superglue about 2 minutes. Do second layer of silk the same way as a single layer is too thin. Then after that drys put on 2 more coats of superglue or nail gel to create a smooth surface.

Buff it with a nail polishing board and cut your nail as desired. It will look just like the original nail but will reinforce it and last probably several weeks to several months. Eventually it will become unsightly as the nail grows out or will simply fall off. Redo it after soaking the nail with a cotton ball wetted with acetone for a few minutes to remove the silk if it hasn't simply fallen off in the shower.

If this seems like too much trouble then just go to a nail salon and have a plain acrylic nail brushed on the existing nail. They use an acrylic powder and UV curing resin and it is very hard. Last time cost me $5 for 2 nails. This is thicker than the silk overlay however and may change your tone somewhat. The silk seems to work better. It reinforces the nail and makes it much stronger, something like a layer of fiberglass only very thin and invisible.

I will say that trying to do this to your right hand with your left hand is a little awkward. A helpful spouse might be useful but I managed it all by myself.

dmcmurray

Post by dmcmurray » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:55 am

Use a piece of tea bag. Cut it and dump out the tea. Cut a small piece and superglue it to the crack like a fiberglass job. Put coats of clear nail polish over the patch.
2013 Connor Spruce/Brazilian
1979 Ramirez 1a Cedar/IR
1996 Carpio Spruce/IR
1998 Joiner Cedar/Maple

randalljazz

Post by randalljazz » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 am

self adhesive silk and superglue. soap and water first to remove all oils (or, better, acetone). dry thoroughly. apply two layers of silk, then saturate that with glue. lightly sand roughness after thoroughly dry. occasional dabs of glue may be needed.

"Beauty is nothing but the beginning of terror, which we still are just able to endure, and we are are so awed because it serenely disdains to annihilate us." -- Ranier Maria Rilke

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm

I use Loctite which works well. I just put a it down the line of the crack and at the fingertip and leave it to dry. It'll last a week or so.

CarbonElitist

Post by CarbonElitist » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions. I think I'll try the silk and superglue method and see how that works.
"If at first you don't succeed, don't go skydiving."
"When I want expert advice, I look at the comment sections on DIY videos."

woodenhand

Post by woodenhand » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:54 am

I'm wondering exactly what kind of crack you have if it causes the whole nail to come off. That sounds to me like Beau's lines.

Wuuthrad

Post by Wuuthrad » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:22 am

CarbonElitist wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Edit: To the mods: Thanks for moving this thread I guess. But next time can you let me know you did so? I had to check my post history to find it.

And while your at it, let me know too where CarbonElitist's posts are hiding.

I've been biting my nails trying to find them!

😎
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honor of a critic." -Jean Sibelius

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”