Fingerpicks with classical guitar.

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
TDL35

Fingerpicks with classical guitar.

Post by TDL35 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I've always had a difficult time maintaining nails on the fourth finger and the thumb. My fourth finger has a particularly deep nail bed, so I often times use a butterfly pick. My thumb nail would just need to be too long to be effective (too long to keep for other aspects of my life unfortunately), so I either use an Alaska pick or a butterfly pick.

I'm always looking for new things though, does anyone have any recommendations for similar products that have worked well for you?

mvisscher

Re: Fingerpicks with classical guitar.

Post by mvisscher » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:17 pm

Interesting question,..by 4th finger do you mean the 'a' finger (or ring finger)?

Butterfly picks will probably sound a lot different than your actual nail, depending on your technique. Do you hear that happening?

I know a lot of people who use glue on nails, which can be better at simulating an actual nail sound. Some people feel they work better than actual nails, but they come their own set of problems,..like popping off in performance. Real nails have also been known to break in performnace so I guess that risk is always present.

You're not alone with the thumb nail problem, and many people deal with it by just using flesh tone. Bass notes can actually benefit from the alternative timbre, but not always...

You might try checking your local nail salon to see what they have to say.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:47 pm

You just missed this discussion: viewtopic.php?f=87&t=38439&hilit=fingerpicks

Almost everyone concurs that ideally, natural nails are best, with glue-ons the next best alternative. Then there's playing without nails at all, which many do. But check out the thread above.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

TDL35

Post by TDL35 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:34 am

Thanks for the replies! I have been pretty happy with the butterfly pick, and yes, on the "a" finger. It took some getting used to, but I think the results are good. I'm not the most hardcore classical guitar player but I feel like the use of one of these implements is better than nothing, which could be the alternative. I might weigh in on that thread!

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”