Kaori Muraji's nail shape

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Tom

Re: Kaori Muraji's nail shape

Post by Tom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm

mae wrote:Romanillos guitars (Liam & José, with Tornavoz and without) still appear on all of her recent recordings.
Ok, which recoding? Can you be specific so I can take a look , Thanks!

mae

Post by mae » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:49 pm

Soleil: Portraits 2, Resplandor de la Guitarra, Kaori Muraji Plays Bach, Portraits, Viva! Rodrigo, Prelude, lumières.

Possibly also Amanda (one shows up on the accompanying DVD).

She (or someone) also answers questions (eventually) if you post at her official website. http://www.officemuraji.com/

All of those CD/DVD packages are sumptuously produced by the way. And she plays wonderfully. Well worth getting no matter what guitar she's using.
"c'est les autres"

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:08 am

I attended one of her concert recently where she played that guitar featured in the video. That is a Japanese maker's guitar. Somehow many guitarist will always go back and support their own country made guitar.

mae

Post by mae » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:24 am

Which video? The one used in the videos taken from the Amanda DVD is a Romanillos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"c'est les autres"

Tom

Post by Tom » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:01 pm

I refer to the video at the beginning of this thread.

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm

Kaori Muraji nail shape ....

I noted her nail shape also. The trick is to place dry (wet & dry) paper folded over the strings in the playing area. Then start playing or at least emulate arpeggios, tremolo, whatever you want but play across the paper as if you were playing the strings themselves. Do this for a good 5 mins plus or so and then inspect your nail shape, continue and inspect again. You will be surprised at what ramp shape/angle you end up with. Usually not the same one you’ve been filing for many years!! You’ll look at it and you’ll panic, thinking “what have I done to my nails, oh no it will take ages to get them back to a ‘NORMAL’ looking shape” - Well were not entering a beautiful looking nail contest! We’re trying to get a good Guitar tone. This new ramp/shape is the one YOU (not me) actually need. Polish said NEW finished shape and play. I guarantee, the results are staggering!!

My i nail is quite a steep ramp so it looks pointy like Kaori’s - Howevever it’s not a double ramp, just steep and so you end up with a point which is basically where the string releases. My m is flatter and my ‘a’ is flatter still. Prior to shaping like this I suffered lots of anxiety always wondering if I had filed correctly whenever my playing was a struggle.

kkruecke

Post by kkruecke » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Interesting technique to get the right nail shape.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm

dfl3tch3r wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:58 pm

I noted her nail shape also. The trick is to place dry (wet & dry) paper folded over the strings in the playing area. Then start playing or at least emulate arpeggios, tremolo, whatever you want but play across the paper as if you were playing the strings themselves. Do this for a good 5 mins plus or so and then inspect your nail shape, continue and inspect again. You will be surprised at what ramp shape/angle you end up with. Usually not the same one you’ve been filing for many years!! You’ll look at it and you’ll panic, thinking “what have I done to my nails, oh no it will take ages to get them back to a ‘NORMAL’ looking shape” - Well were not entering a beautiful looking nail contest! We’re trying to get a good Guitar tone. This new ramp/shape is the one YOU (not me) actually need. Polish said NEW finished shape and play. I guarantee, the results are staggering!!

My i nail is quite a steep ramp so it looks pointy like Kaori’s - Howevever it’s not a double ramp, just steep and so you end up with a point which is basically where the string releases. My m is flatter and my ‘a’ is flatter still. Prior to shaping like this I suffered lots of anxiety always wondering if I had filed correctly whenever my playing was a struggle.
Whilst I am not much of a stickler for nail shape, it would seem to me that this method is likely to produce the only nail shape which could be described as "wrong". All the bits of nail that would contact the string are removed, all the bits that never contact the string remain.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 am

I don't think so. You only have to polish or use this method for a short time to get the idea of what works best then finish up with your nail file. I think the purpose is manly to determine the nail shape your normally would use when playing.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Spelling?

I harmonize melody & staccato my legato

Carrillo Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 am

David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 am
I don't think so. You only have to polish or use this method for a short time to get the idea of what works best then finish up with your nail file. I think the purpose is manly to determine the nail shape your normally would use when playing.
I can think of much easier ways to do that.

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:02 pm

She has a very "nailly" sound.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 am

prawnheed wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:29 am
David Gutowski wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:46 am
I can think of much easier ways to do that.
But if you think about it, it does make sense. You would be sanding the exact shape of the nail that hits the string. It's just one more tool in the cg playing chest.
3 hard things for humans to do: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Spelling?

I harmonize melody & staccato my legato

Carrillo Concert '02
Yulong Guo Chamber '17
Bozo 135
Washburn Rover R020
Paulino Bernabe 10 '12

georgemarousi

Post by georgemarousi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 am

dfl3tch3r wrote:

This is a very brilliant idea ! :bravo:

I have seen something quite similar at an advice video, and even tried it myself ( a little ) like this:

I placed a folded sandpaper (quite thin) on a string, then played a little bit normally over the string, on the sandpaper folded edge - not for too much time. After polishing afterwards, you get a great ( quite ramped as I recall ) shape that handles your way of hitting the strings greatly!

As far as I recall, by stopping when you feel your hit is smooth ( not much more ! :idea: ) this handles your proper nail length as well ! 8)

I will try it again with a little more play over the sandpaper
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Panagi Brothers 1970
Juan Martinez nr 55 2014 (the comeback)
Yamaha cg 110 1988 (the 1st)
--
2014: the comeback

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am

prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
dfl3tch3r wrote:
The trick is to place dry (wet & dry) paper folded over the strings in the playing area. Then start playing or at least emulate arpeggios, tremolo, whatever you want but play across the paper as if you were playing the strings themselves. Do this for a good 5 mins plus or so and then inspect your nail shape, continue and inspect again... I guarantee, the results are staggering!!
Whilst I am not much of a stickler for nail shape, it would seem to me that this method is likely to produce the only nail shape which could be described as "wrong". All the bits of nail that would contact the string are removed, all the bits that never contact the string remain.
I find this approach works really well. Obviously, if you kept at it long enough you would get rid of all the nail that contacts the string, but 5 minutes with fine and then very fine sandpaper / micromesh will not do that. If you use coarse paper it is going to be much more difficult to know when to stop.

I don't really feel the need to inspect my nail shape - I am a bit curious I suppose but the whole point is that you end up with the right shape even if you don't know what that is.

It is a hassle compared to just using a file, and can be a bit messy, but I have never regretted taking the time to do it.

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 am
prawnheed wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:23 pm
dfl3tch3r wrote:
The trick is to place dry (wet & dry) paper folded over the strings in the playing area. Then start playing or at least emulate arpeggios, tremolo, whatever you want but play across the paper as if you were playing the strings themselves. Do this for a good 5 mins plus or so and then inspect your nail shape, continue and inspect again... I guarantee, the results are staggering!!
I find this approach works really well. Obviously, if you kept at it long enough you would get rid of all the nail that contacts the string, but 5 minutes with fine and then very fine sandpaper / micromesh will not do that. If you use coarse paper it is going to be much more difficult to know when to stop.

I don't really feel the need to inspect my nail shape - I am a bit curious I suppose but the whole point is that you end up with the right shape even if you don't know what that is.

It is a hassle compared to just using a file, and can be a bit messy, but I have never regretted taking the time to do it.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding it then. Do you actually simulate real playing with a mix of rest and free strokes, strums, rasgueados, etc. and in different positions and with different amounts of nail? Or is it an approximation based on a more theoretical perfect contact with the string?

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”