Kaori Muraji's nail shape

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
Rasputin

Re: Kaori Muraji's nail shape

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

I've never tried doing strums or rasgueados TBH. Do you feel that nail shape makes a big difference there? I just do a mix of rest and free strokes at different points on different strings at different volumes (not that the string actually sounds, but you know what I mean). You could probably get more sophisticated with it. If you did just one type of stroke in a very consistent way, I expect you would end up with the perfect shape for that exact stroke - but as you say we use a range of strokes in real playing, and the shape you ended up with might not be very good for some of them. Doing a few different ones seems to give you the right compromise.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 am

I think the main idea is contact with the string and your hand/finger positioning...playing a lot of technique can be difficult with sandpaper.
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:11 pm

I don't shape using rest stroke but to be honest I don't see that it should be a problem in doing so. I just use free stroke chords and arpeggios.

dfl3tch3r

Post by dfl3tch3r » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:45 am

I wouldn't shape with rasgueados nor possibly rest stroke!
Simply play free stroke chords and arpeggios. I shape my 'p' nail this way too! why not!
You're only using this method in doing the crude initial shaping. You can then refine, fine sand, buff and polish thereafter in any way which you normally do.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”