Guitar Player Nails

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
celestemcc

Re: Guitar Player Nails

Post by celestemcc » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:18 pm

That back-fill method (and Dave's other tips for pre-formed nails) really works. I've used it consistently with whatever fakes I'm trying (I prefer natural but go to a GPN or 'drugstore nail' for a bad break). Just tried GPNs "type 2" preformed nails and so far I'm liking them a lot.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

davekear

Re: Guitar Player Nails

Post by davekear » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:08 pm

Thanks celestemcc. Yea, it's important to back fill to wick the nail glue into areas that might have been missed, and to seal the nail.
And we're also pretty happy with the type 2 pre-formed nails. Initial shape of a nail matters a lot as it relates to tone.The type 1's are also great sounding nails, but are really designed to be used with our silk wrap. The type 1's are pretty thin, really easy to use, and conform to just about any nail shape; but most folks use wrap with them. The reason is,is that pre-formed nails, which are made with ABS plastic, are a bit softer than other materials. So if you start with a thinner nail, and use wrap with it, it actually will add more "highs" to your tone and, everything else being equal, you get more overall clarity and a brighter "ponticello". The tone that you get with artificial nails also has a lot to do with the way they're first applied, and one's knowledge of the anatomy of tone as it relates to fingernails. The angle at which they are first applied, how they're filed, evenness of application etc, all matter. But if you get it down, which is not that difficult, you can have nails that sound like great natural nails anytime you want. You can even adjust the tone after they're applied. Even if you don't use our nails, there's a lot of good info on our site as it applies to tone, methods of application, and how to get the most out of your nails, natural or artificial.

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”