Bach, J. S. - BWV 1001 Fugue - D09

Audio and video recordings of the works of Johann Sebastian Bach.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Bach, J. S. - BWV xxxx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Bach, J. S. - BWV 0997 Prélude - D09 Video (BWV number padded out with zeroes to 4 digits.)
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
DavidJ

Re: Bach, J. S. - Fugue BWV 1001

Post by DavidJ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 pm

This is one of my favorites and you play it beautifully. Thanks for sharing the music.

David

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:21 am

Another admirer from Portland!

So sorry I missed this when you first posted it, dear Owl. Your playing is nothing short of miraculous!

I love your use of staccato on the theme, not only because it lends a sense of urgency, but also allows you to bring out the theme in the places where it is hidden. To me, that's the most important thing in fugues.

Just perfectly played in every respect!
owl wrote:It's interesting that when I play these pieces I think, 'Oh, I like this one best'... then I play the next movement and I think the same thing about that piece of music
There seems to be something marvellous in each one... something that makes it feel special :flowers:
This made me smile out loud. When I was at Conservatory in my early 20s, we were all learning and sharing all the great masterpieces. I remember having that very discussion in my living room as we listened to the Brandenburg Concertos. We all felt exactly the same way about the strange fact that, whichever concerto we were listening to at the time, THAT was our favorite!

Thank you for working this one up for us. It's been in my head all day. It's my favorite! :D

Alan

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:06 am

Hi Owl,

I was on holiday when you posted this so I missed it...until now. This piece has been a true favourite of mine ever since I first heard it. My old teacher Carlo Ambrosio used to play it often when I was a teenager-his style was very romantic.

Your interpretation is right up there with the very best I've ever heard, a truly remarkable performance. I like the slightly staccato articulation, it gives the piece a kind of extra drama.I'll be listening quite a lot more to this.

Brilliant :D

:merci:

Best wishes

Denian

SAB

Post by SAB » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi Owl,

That was clean, precise, musical

and totally awe inspiring !!!

A truly masterful performance

:bravo:

owl

Post by owl » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Thank you all so much for your generous comments... it was my pleasure :D

Joy in the music

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

cn90

Post by cn90 » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:26 pm

Hello Owl,

Wonderful recording!

Couple of questions:

1. Which edition are you using?

I have about 5 different transcriptions and I must say that I love the edition by Jacopo Gianninoto. The Fugue is on page 12:
http://icking-music-archive.org/scores/ ... Guitar.pdf

2. The bass notes circled in red:
BWV1-Fugue.jpg
The violinists play as 16th note because of the inherent nature of the violin that does not allow the bass notes to ring once the violin bow goes into treble notes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET100brwyYA
(The Fugue started at 4:10 marking)

Simon Dinnigan, guitarist, let the bass notes ring:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8z2ptiznGMY

I let the bass notes ring longer as I think it sounds better this way. Bach wrote the scores for bass notes with the violin in mind therefore the 16th notes because of the violin's design.

I have not checked the BWV 1000 Lute version yet but when have time, I will do. This is the version Bream played on youtube (Lute).

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Again, congrats!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

owl

Post by owl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:49 am

cn90 wrote: Which edition are you using?
LOL That would be telling! :D
Actually it's Louis's arrangement, but we did look at several transcriptions... and listen to a few versions
I prefer this as I feel it adds a little more contrast and tension... I think it helps to really separate the voices and adds some excitement to the tempo
I generally look for something to add to a piece... in an interpretive sense I mean... without losing the intent of the music of course

Thanks for your comments... I’m happy that you enjoyed the piece

Joy in the music

Owl

cyberninja

Post by cyberninja » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:28 pm

:bravo:

Løød

Post by Løød » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:28 pm

A legendary performance - exquisite yet extremely energetic and powerful!

Laust

owl

Post by owl » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:00 am

Thank you... it was my pleasure :D

Joy in the music

Owl

ricstang

Post by ricstang » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:31 am

Another epic Owl recording! :casque: I love it!

Your technique is more articulate and your tone is even sweeter every time. You are unbelievable! :bravo:

pacfan

Post by pacfan » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I started playing this piece in my early twenties in the 80's and though I stopped playing it for a long time now, it used to be then my routine exercise-type piece for about 10 years. As a person who knows this piece inside out, I'd say your performance is first-rate with a character of it's own - crisp, dynamic, with much energy (who said ladies are weaker sex!). Congratulations, Owl, for your wonderful performance. :bravo:

BTW, if you haven't heard it yet, try Narciso Yepes' performance of the Fugue (BWV 1000) on his ten-string guitar. Though a bit slow, his very artistic style, coupled with good use of low bass notes makes his performance absolutely stunning.

owl

Post by owl » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Thanks Ric and pacfan... your comments are very pleasing :D

I have a few Yepes recordings pacfan... he's one of my favourite players :casque:

Thank you again for listening

Joy in the music

Owl

Mirek

Post by Mirek » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:02 pm

:kap:
:aide:
I give up Owl, really.
How can I say that I play the guitar. :pascontent: It's pathetic indeed! :(
I'm smashing my guitar against the floor today!
Now feel guilty
Your admirer forever,
:ouioui:
m

kulan69

Post by kulan69 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:06 pm

What a lovely clean and clear recording , so beautiful and so artistical performance you made !!! U're a really a great guitar player for me !!!! :bravo: :merci: :casque:

Return to “Our recordings of J. S. Bach”