Sor, Fernando - op.29/13, Segovia no. 19 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
MaritimeGuitarist

Sor, Fernando - op.29/13, Segovia no. 19 - Video

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:16 am

My first video on Delcamp!

I originally chose to work on this study in order to develop stamina and strength in my left hand. Along the way, I discovered the real challenge is making it sound musical. Technically, I feel I accomplished what I set out to do. Musically, I feel I'm just at the beginning of learning this beautiful piece...

2014 Alhambra Luthier India

David Norton

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.29/13, Segovia no. 19 - Video

Post by David Norton » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm

Very nicely done, this one is a true monster of a workout piece. One observation, to take care to open up your left hand as much as possible, in order to get the finger nearer to the the fretwire itself. This will reduce the near-inevitable buzzing, particularly evident on the 4th string in various positions. You won't eliminate the buzzing (e.g. the 4th string F played in a Bb chord where you simply cannot get the finger closer to the fret) but it will help.

Also, watch for pivot opportunities, again for example looking at the 4th string F when going from the first chord shape to the second shape. The F is held with 2nd finger both times, so could be used as a pivot point.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor's Opus 60" project

MaritimeGuitarist

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.29/13, Segovia no. 19 - Video

Post by MaritimeGuitarist » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:05 pm

David Norton wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Very nicely done, this one is a true monster of a workout piece. One observation, to take care to open up your left hand as much as possible, in order to get the finger nearer to the the fretwire itself. This will reduce the near-inevitable buzzing, particularly evident on the 4th string in various positions. You won't eliminate the buzzing (e.g. the 4th string F played in a Bb chord where you simply cannot get the finger closer to the fret) but it will help.

Also, watch for pivot opportunities, again for example looking at the 4th string F when going from the first chord shape to the second shape. The F is held with 2nd finger both times, so could be used as a pivot point.
David,

Thank you for your comments! I just tried your pivot suggestion--feels great and will make the change. I also agree with you about opening up the left hand. I recently began work on Sor Op. 29 No. 23 and will definitely keep your observation in mind for that one as well!

Much appreciated!!!
2014 Alhambra Luthier India

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”