Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Study in Bm - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
lucy

Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Study in Bm - Video

Post by lucy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I played this piece in a recital recently.

Just wanted to share...

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

Mårten

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Study in Bm - Video

Post by Mårten » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:07 pm

That was delightful👏🎶😀
Thanks for sharing🙏

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 am

You have quite the repertoire and a very nice sound. I hope I can some day carve out my place in the recitals, and do maybe half as nicely as you do!

cgratham

Post by cgratham » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:53 am

I really enjoyed your rendition of this lovely study Lucy. Thanks for sharing it.

Chris
2014 Douglass Scott Cdr/Irw; 2010 Martin Blackwell SpCdr Double top/Irw; 1989 James Frieson Sp/Irw

lucy

Post by lucy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks guys! :)
powderedtoastman wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:31 am
You have quite the repertoire and a very nice sound. I hope I can some day carve out my place in the recitals, and do maybe half as nicely as you do!
Thanks. I think it's very nice to play these kind of pieces, anyway, but to be frank, the type of places I'm playing at, I have no fear of someone saying, "Oh, but it wasn't that difficult, was it".... As far as I can see, so long as it's played well enough, people like it! Isn't that the most important thing anyway?

Of course, I can play more difficult pieces and I do perform those as well, but the added bonus of performing pieces of this level, is that because they are easy for me, I can really focus on my performance skills, like getting used to being out there and playing as musically as I can. There's more to refining an instrument than the practice room!!

Good luck with your own recital plans. :)

Mickmac

Post by Mickmac » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 pm

lucy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks. I think it's very nice to play these kind of pieces, anyway, but to be frank, the type of places I'm playing at, I have no fear of someone saying, "Oh, but it wasn't that difficult, was it".... As far as I can see, so long as it's played well enough, people like it! Isn't that the most important thing anyway?

Of course, I can play more difficult pieces and I do perform those as well, but the added bonus of performing pieces of this level, is that because they are easy for me, I can really focus on my performance skills, like getting used to being out there and playing as musically as I can. There's more to refining an instrument than the practice room!!
You're so right Lucy! It's about the music, not the performer. Lovely rendition, BTW.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:05 pm

Mickmac wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 pm
lucy wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 pm

You're so right Lucy! It's about the music, not the performer. Lovely rendition, BTW.
:merci:

slidika

Post by slidika » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Nice tone and overall pleasing! :merci:
Whenever I am not ready for my music lesson, I call it 'facing the music'.

ADeanS

Post by ADeanS » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 am

loved your expression. Difficulty is a matter of perspective. To many of us this is still a hard piece.

The mic, (I think) didn't do you justice by booming the bass. I'd love to hear you play this again with a little better recording setup.

BTW, your skill and musicianship came through in spite of sub-optimal sound equipment.

Dean

lucy

Post by lucy » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks for listening slidika and Dean. :)
ADeanS wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 am
The mic, (I think) didn't do you justice by booming the bass.
I'm not sure the mic, itself, was at fault, more a problem of where it was positioned. It was tricky to set up, where it would have sounded better, because of having a music stand in way. Also, I probably should have made a cut in certain frequencies, using the graphic equaliser, to lessen the problem. I'm no expert!
ADeanS wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:44 am
I'd love to hear you play this again with a little better recording setup.
Well, I did this home recording, 3 years ago, with the same mic, but the boomy bass is not so pronounced.

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=89373

Nikos_Greek

Post by Nikos_Greek » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 pm

good performance in general. If I may express some criticism, when you accelerate do you do that on purpose, I mean is this your interpretative line of the piece or is it accidental? Something positive, that was good tone in most of the passages, congratulations!

instanes

Post by instanes » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am

I thank you. You posted this in the middle of July 2017. Of all of Sor's music that I have listened to, this one went straight to my heart. I listened to several other renditions on YouTube just to get other's expressions of the piece and several days later I decided to tackle it. It is now the end of January 2018 and I can say that I can play the piece to my satisfaction.

So once more I thank you for taking the time to post your video.....it has made a difference, in one person's life, even though I live half way round the world.

zzzsegundaepoca

Post by zzzsegundaepoca » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 am

Nikos_Greek wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 pm
good performance in general. If I may express some criticism, when you accelerate do you do that on purpose, I mean is this your interpretative line of the piece or is it accidental? Something positive, that was good tone in most of the passages, congratulations!
If it is accidental, I hope to have such accidents!

Anyway, excellent tone and execution.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:33 pm

zzzsegundaepoca wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:04 am
Nikos_Greek wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:27 pm
If it is accidental, I hope to have such accidents!

Anyway, excellent tone and execution.
Hi Nikos. Thanks for listening. Yes, the rubato is intentional, as implied by zzzsegundaepoca. Thanks zzzsegundaepoca! :)

I don't know how old you are. I'm wondering about this, because it has occurred to me you haven't heard any performances of this, from say 20-30 years ago. The thing is, in recent decades, people have tended to play early 19th century music with far less rubato. Rightly or wrongly, I'm approaching it the old-fashioned way.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:46 pm

instanes wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 am
I thank you. You posted this in the middle of July 2017. Of all of Sor's music that I have listened to, this one went straight to my heart. I listened to several other renditions on YouTube just to get other's expressions of the piece and several days later I decided to tackle it. It is now the end of January 2018 and I can say that I can play the piece to my satisfaction.

So once more I thank you for taking the time to post your video.....it has made a difference, in one person's life, even though I live half way round the world.
Wow. What an amazingly touching comment! Thank you so much. It's one of the nicest things ever said to me about my guitar playing. :D

I'm so glad to have been an inspiration to you. And to have touched your heart. I feel communicating sincerely and moving an audience is the most important thing. It far outweighs technical brilliance.

So pleased you're now happy with your playing of this piece. Are you planning to share it online, at all?

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”