Sor, Fernando - op.60/04 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Chris Delisa

Sor, Fernando - op.60/04 - Video

Post by Chris Delisa » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 pm

The backstory is: I played my senior recital in April this year. Then I decided to go back and play some basic studies to refine my technique. I've played all sorts of pieces throughout my undergraduate, but haven't done enough of the basic etudes. So I got Noad's book on 100 Graded Classical Guitar Studies. I'm being meticulous about learning every note.

What do you think?

David Norton

Re: Sor, Fernando - Op. 60 No.4 - Video

Post by David Norton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Good job with this, and a good idea overall to revisit the "core etudes". I've embarked on much the same journey.

Observation on this one: though Sor clearly states to not release a left hand finger unless necessary, there are some unfortunate major/minor second over-rings created in this one as a result. I think of the first 6 of the Op. 60 set as almost like woodwind exercises, where it's simply not possible for multiple notes to blend one into the other. Well, that's a concept anyway, but as with most things, the theory falls apart in practical terms at times.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT
First person to complete the Delcamp "Let's Learn Sor Op. 60" project

powderedtoastman

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.60/04 - Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:08 pm

Nicely done!
I agree with playing through tons of etudes. In their simplicity they leave room to be mindful of something that we may have missed in the more serious repertoire pieces, but they may also serve as nice miniature pieces of music in their own right. Especially the ones Sor left us!

I have the Complete Sor Studies as sort of a "core" for myself, and every once in a while I will take a break from that to do some from another composer.

My one comment is that this study obviously doesn't give you much technical challenge but I think there is room to treat this as a piece of music. And while you're at it, maybe even exaggerate it and make it grandiose. A half-page little snippet of the opera!
A bit of rubato, there are a couple places where a little pause like a "breath mark" could fit. And I definitely hear in this piece that there are two distinct voices doing a call and response. Right in the beginning, the four notes from the pickup through the second beat of the first measure (G, Eb, D, C) would be one voice, and then the next four notes (octave higher C, B, C, D) would be the other. This piece can be a lot more interesting and kind of "come alive" in my head if we do something to highlight that.
Anybody else have thoughts on that? Agree or disagree?
Last edited by powderedtoastman on Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm

I have a theory (vague hypothesis for the scientists present) that nos 3 and 4 were written for violin and Sor snuck them in. Certainly, I'm told they both fall under the fingers and 'feel like' violin pieces.... and have a G as lowest note.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:47 pm
I have a theory (vague hypothesis for the scientists present) that nos 3 and 4 were written for violin and Sor snuck them in. Certainly, I'm told they both fall under the fingers and 'feel like' violin pieces.... and have a G as lowest note.
Interesting thought! There's actually a simple Paganini piece Le Streghe from the 43 Ghiribizzi that a previous teacher of mine recognized from his mom's Suzuki violin students. So it seems plausible.

While we're on that topic for a bit of fun I've gone and re-arranged these and a few other simple Sor studies as guitar+violin duos. For the most part on these two I think I gave the melody to the violin and added the obvious chords as harmony for the guitar part. But it's actually kind of fun to have the two instruments switch off between melody and harmony, either in place of repeating a section, or in the different sections, or in a few cases even phrase to phrase.
With a bit more work I may have a little collection to publish!

Chris Delisa

Post by Chris Delisa » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Good responses!

David, I do have a tendency to let notes overlap. I actually kind of like the sound of seconds, haha, but I think I oughta work on not overlapping the notes so much.

Powderedtoastman, you make some really good points. It's the kind of piece that's easy to play technically but a little tricky to interpret. I will try out your suggestions.

Stephen, that's a plausible theory! I actually hear this study as a violin piece, but I can't quite get the vibrato and sustain of a violinist. Haha! It sounds like it would be more appropriate on violin. I'm going to have to check out No. 3.

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”