Sor, Fernando - op.06/08 Segovia Study no. 1 - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Doraemon

Sor, Fernando - op.06/08 Segovia Study no. 1 - Video

Post by Doraemon » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:20 am

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Sor, Fernando - Op6/08 Segovia Study no. 1 Video

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 am

Doraemon, you have a remarkably calm demeanor!

I'm working on this right now and you're hitting all the notes and making all the transitions very well indeed--perfectly, really. Not easy, for me at least! Congratulations!

Have you seen Kevin Gallagher's video lesson on this piece?

Doraemon

Re: Sor, Fernando - Op6/08 Segovia Study no. 1 Video

Post by Doraemon » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 am
Doraemon, you have a remarkably calm demeanor!

I'm working on this right now and you're hitting all the notes and making all the transitions very well indeed--perfectly, really. Not easy, for me at least! Congratulations!

Have you seen Kevin Gallagher's video lesson on this piece?
Thank you! I have seen Kevin Gallagher's video on this piece. I admire his ability. This piece was a bit of a struggle for me too- learning all those chords was something I found rather difficult, and I admit I got rather tired of it after working on it for several weeks. Thanks, have a great day.

powderedtoastman

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.06/08 Segovia Study no. 1 - Video

Post by powderedtoastman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:56 pm

Very nicely done! As Jefffrey says, you've got it under your fingers, which is a big part of the battle for this one.
This piece has some nice harmony to it, and a bit of interesting counterpoint which is maybe a more subtle point.

And it seems like in the section toward the end you're doing a good job of holding on to the notes that need to stay ringing, like where you're holding a note from the upper voice while the lower voice starts to move down, or vice-versa.
The down side to my ear is a little bit of abruptness or too much even accent on each beat.

So, something to experiment with: in 3/4 time in general you want the first beat to be strong, then the second beat is weak, and the third beat to be stronger than the second but kind of leading up to the first of the next measure. If you do the triangle pattern that an orchestra conductor would do for 3/4, I think you might get the feel. Downbeat, sideways, upbeat.

Then you can do something really subtle. Take that idea and actually kind of superimpose it on measures, so you have one measure strong, then the next measure is weaker, then the next measure leads into the one that follows. Once you get control over that sort of articulation (it's a long term process!) you'll start to sound even better!

Also, I recommend looking at Complete Sor Studies rather than just the 20 in the Segovia edition. There are a lot of shorter and simpler pieces in there which contain a lot of beauty alongside the guitar technique education. About a year ago I was working pretty hard to play this one first, and then I somehow found my way to the simpler opuses (60, 44, 31, 35) and after working bits and pieces of each of those, I think Op. 6 No. 8 is a bit more within my reach.

Either way, keep it up!

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:43 am

On second thought, this piece is very choral, you could argue that it should be pretty even rather than having strong and weak beats... but it could be worth practicing both ways anyway!

Doraemon

Post by Doraemon » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:42 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:43 am
On second thought, this piece is very choral, you could argue that it should be pretty even rather than having strong and weak beats... but it could be worth practicing both ways anyway!
Thank you for both of your replies! I'm putting this piece aside for now but thanks for your feedback.

JoFish

Post by JoFish » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Well done!
"Tell me what/how to think, so I can say the words you want to hear"

Tom Moreno

Post by Tom Moreno » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:56 am

Great job- just getting the whole thing under your fingers is an achievement in my eyes! I could not stay the course on this particular study so I admire the fact that you got it down :)

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Very well done and nice playing! Keep it up! Love the Sor studies!

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”