Sor, Fernando - op.25/04 - Minuet in C

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
ElleExtreme

Sor, Fernando - op.25/04 - Minuet in C

Post by ElleExtreme » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:55 am

My Recording of Sor's Minuet in C. Quite a failure, especially musically, but I decided to post it anyways.

Criticism is appreciated, however note that I am myself aware that the quality of playing in this case is low.
Best Regards-
ElleExtreme
The guitar is a small orchestra. - Andres Segovia

benny

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.25/4- Minuet in C

Post by benny » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:25 am

What's the rush? You got a bus to catch?

Not a bad performance at all, just slow down a little.

Also, that is an excellent stare into the camera in the middle of the performance...
2007 Kenny Hill Munich Artisan Series Munich Model
metronome @420
IPA

JohnB

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.25/4- Minuet in C

Post by JohnB » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:43 am

I enjoyed the piece - you certainly have got it well under your fingers, perhaps now is time to relax a little and enjoy the music. It is a lovely piece and gives lots of opportunity for contrast and expression.

One thing you might think about is which note should be emphasised when playing the acciaccaturas. Currently you are leaning on the first note - try playing the first note lighter (a grace note) with the emphasis on the main note. Of course this is reliant on your pull-off technique.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

skipintro

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.25/04 - Minuet in C

Post by skipintro » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:44 am

metronome!

ElleExtreme

Post by ElleExtreme » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for the all response. I know I played the piece too quickly, and I definitely didn't express any musicality in it. The main reason for this though was that I had to retake the recording several times due to technical issues (which were all very educational, I suppose... :) ) so by the point of doing this, I was really mostly frustrated and wanted to get it over with, which is never a good attitude to have whilst playing (due to my "Studio" setup it's very seldom I have the opportunity to make these recordings). Maybe this explains my intense stare at the camera as well, really expressing my emotional emptiness ;)

Really though, I think it's mostly just a shame because it's a piece that in reality I can play quite well. That said I shouldn't be making excuses. I did however manage a recording of another piece that same day that I will be publishing soon, that I think I can really stand behind.

Again, thanks to all for showing some interest!
Best Regards-
ElleExtreme
The guitar is a small orchestra. - Andres Segovia

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:55 pm

I wouldn't call it a failure, the playing and sound is really pretty good! There are some places where you've rushed some beats and I missed having all 3 beats in a measure but even when that happens the listener can jump back in soon after and re-sync to the meter, so it's not a total disaster. I've even listened to some professional recordings where that has happened consistently. Perhaps an odd choice by the performer in that case, but it does happen.

When you do the exercise of slowing down and keeping with a metronome, just be mindful of that with every phrase and you'll have an even nicer rendition of this under your belt!

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”