Sor, Fernando - op.60/22 in Em - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
RobMacKillop

Sor, Fernando - op.60/22 in Em - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:35 am

Juan Hernandez "Luthier" guitar, with plain old D'Addario EJ45 Normal Tension strings, and even tuned to 440 pitch - As close as I'll get to being normal! :lol: Still without nails, though.

This is a fine study, really quite beautiful, I think. Marked Allegretto Moderato, but filled with semiquavers (16th notes) it moves along. Sor seems to indicate glissando at times, with the same finger doing a "hammer on" between two notes - the only way you can do it with the same finger is to slide. Opus 60 formed his last book of studies, and he was surely coming under the influence of a more romantic style of playing.

DerekB

Re: Sor, Fernando - Op.60/22 in Em - Video

Post by DerekB » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:49 am

A beautiful piece very well played, Rob. I am surprised it is not better known. It would make a nice extra piece for those who are keen on Spanish Romance. I was alerted to it by Christopher Page on the Gresham College website where he performs it on a romantic guitar. He chose it to show the college authorities the type of music he would be lecturing on.

I usually play it a bit slower which makes it sound even more romantic.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am

Cheers, Derek. The tempo is something I vary when playing it. As I mentioned above, though, 16th notes at allegretto moderato would not really be slow. But I know what you mean, playing it slow can really make it Romantic. My judgement (and I might well be 200% wrong!) is that Sor was hearing things that led to Romanticism, yet his feet were cemented in the classical period. It's funny, I even hear Satie in there, maybe Chopin too. I wish Sor had managed to cling on for another decade, just to see how much his music would have changed.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:37 am

Very very nice Rob. Think I've just listened to it 5 times!! I really like how you bring out the melody so effortlessly against the accompaniment.

I agree with you about hearing Satie in this piece. Upon first listen before even reading your second post I immediately thought of Satie's Gnossienne #1. Could just be the intervals in the melody are similar?

Thanks for sharing this.
-Paul

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:12 am

Cheers, Paul. Could be that a#, the #4 interval, which is quite evocative. Glad you like it.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.60/22 in Em - Video

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:30 am

Bravo Rob !
Very nice sound :D
:casque:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:35 am

Cheers, Isabelle.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:47 am

I've just listened to the half dozen or so recordings of this piece by other members here on Delcamp. All are excellent, but, if I may be so bold, are all quite straight rhythmically. I did the same on my Sor album (available on various download places and Spotify) but this time pushed and pulled the tempo a little here and there - not much, just enough to hint more at the Romantic style which I think Sor was beginning to wake up to. Again, I might be completely wrong in doing that, but it was worth a try, I'd say. There is no right or wrong when it comes to interpretation, with every performance shedding new light on the music.

JRomano

Post by JRomano » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:26 pm

That was lovely. Thanks.

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:35 pm

Cheers.

Rick Beauregard
Student tutor

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Very nice Rob. Thanks for digging this one up. I thought you had said you were going to hang up the CG for a while, so I’m glad you haven’t yet.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm

Cheers, Rick. No, I had to sell my beautiful Ambridge guitar for financial reasons, and thought it might take a while before I was happy with anything else. Not that I'm 100% happy with this guitar, but it will do until something more suitable comes along. It's not the guitar's fault, it's just not designed with my technique in mind.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:57 am

RobMacKillop wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:01 pm
No, I had to sell my beautiful Ambridge guitar for financial reasons, and thought it might take a while before I was happy with anything else. Not that I'm 100% happy with this guitar, but it will do until something more suitable comes along.
Aw, bummer! I understand, though, and have been in similar shoes before :) We go through many guitars in our lives...and as long as we have at least one to play on, we're in the clear.

One of my favorite Sor studies BTW - well done!
"One should always eat muffins quite calmly. It is the only way to eat them."

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

Cheers, Tate. I like your version a lot.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:02 pm

Rob, I am full of admiration for your performance of this piece and do love the character that the slurred notes give it.

Not being a study I am familiar with, I looked it up in my Chanterelle edition of the Sor studies. A quick read through (or, more accurately, "hack" through). showed me how difficult it is to play the slurs while maintaining the musical line and balancing the melody with the accompaniment, though that probably speaks volumes about my ability (or lack there of).

I'm curious about the slurs. Your recording (and your YouTube recording on the Lacoste copy) uses them all the way through but all the over recordings I have listened to pluck the notes. Not only do they pluck the notes but they mostly ignore the implicit dynamic relationship implied by the slur, i.e. they place the emphasis on the the beat, the second note of the slur - which makes quite a difference to the character of the piece.

The Chanterelle edition notes "Many slurs on this page are editorial".

What does the original Sor manuscript say (if there is such a thing as an original manuscript)?

(By the way, your YouTube video of a number of the Op 60 Studies on your Lacoste copy is utterly charming.)
Last edited by JohnB on Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”