Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Exercice, Segovia no.5 - D04

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Mark Featherstone

Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Exercice, Segovia no.5 - D04

Post by Mark Featherstone » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm posting this, not because my attempt is a thing of beauty and a joy forever, but to get any constructive feedback from those courageous enough to give it a listen. I thought I had made progress in bringing out the upper voice, but it certainly didn't materialize in this audio. Something about that record button induces the jitters.

Mark
Estudio 5 - Sor.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

mc1

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.35/22 Exercice, Segovia no.5 - D04

Post by mc1 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:05 pm

i thought that sounded great. i could hear the upper voice very clearly. whenever i record i am struck with how dynamics and timbre get leveled out by the recording process. your tone was good, you understand the piece, you played it very cleanly.

for advice, i would encourage you to continue to pay attention to the voicings. i thought your rhythm could be a little stronger, so keep practicing it and perhaps consider using a metronome. also keep feeling the rhythm at the end of musical phrases so the next phrase start at the right moment. finally, play even more dynamically, making the quieter sections quieter and the louder sections louder.

but really that was very fine, sounded good, and sounded musical. :)

the things i mentioned to work on are the same things i find myself needing to focus on.

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi Mark,

Very nicely played. You play everything very cleanly which is great. Well done.

I agree with mc1, I think there may be just a tad too long of a gap between "sections" in the piece. I suspect you have put in such pauses for musical expression, which is great, but for me the pauses are just a little too long.

Also, there are certain sections where you could consider giving a little more emphasis. For example, the descending G-E-C run in bar 30 really lends itself to expressive playing using a combination of dynamics and rubato.

Overall though, I really enjoyed your performance.

-Paul

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Nicely played!
The Sor studies are not easy to play well. One can work on them for a long time and still find areas of challenge. :chaud:
One of the things that I find helpful in working to bring out the upper voice is to practice playing it all by itself. Once that is in your head firmly as the melody, it seems easier to balance the accompaniment.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Mark Featherstone

Post by Mark Featherstone » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:27 am

Gosh, you are all very kind! Thanks so much for this great encouragement. I agree with all your suggestions and will continue to work on the piece with these points at the fore. I don't have much practice time (and anyway I tire easily), so it's good that the few Sor studies I focus on seem to provide limitless opportunities to improve.

Best,
Mark
Francisco Navarro Concert Classical, cedar top, 630 mm scale, 50 mm nut

"The trouble with normal is it always gets worse."
Bruce Cockburn

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”