Sor, Fernando - op.44/02 Allegretto - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Fernando Sor.
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Sor, Fernando - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Sor, Fernando - op.34 L'Encouragement - D08 Duo Video
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Nick Cutroneo

Sor, Fernando - op.44/02 Allegretto - Video

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:44 pm

It's been (more than) a few months since I've posted a Student Repertoire Video. For those who don't know, on my YouTube channel I have a video series devoted to performing pieces that students are playing don't typically get the opportunity to hear. The goal is to provide students with a performance of a piece that they can look to as a role model. I do not view my videos as the end all/be all of musical performance/interpretation just as a high quality version (both in recording quality and in performance quality). When pieces are public domain, I usually share them with everyone here as well!

I plan on having this series be a weekly video -- my first few attempts haven't been successful (sometimes life gets in the way), but I feel that I am now able to commit to a new video every week.

Anyway, enough rambling, here's Allegretto from Op. 44, no. 2

Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

RobMacKillop

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.44/02 Allegretto - Video

Post by RobMacKillop » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:04 pm

Nice Nick. Here's an idea of what Sor might have done: play that opening figure with only p and i alternating. The thumb can go right over to the second string - Sor even used it on the first string. Play this while doing rest stroke with the thumb. It's fun to do, and really helps your thumb technique. Of course, you don't have to ;-) It's just an idea. I like to try different fingerings sometimes, just to see if there is anything interesting hiding in there.

Nick Cutroneo

Re: Sor, Fernando - op.44/02 Allegretto - Video

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:30 pm

RobMacKillop wrote:Nice Nick. Here's an idea of what Sor might have done: play that opening figure with only p and i alternating. The thumb can go right over to the second string - Sor even used it on the first string. Play this while doing rest stroke with the thumb. It's fun to do, and really helps your thumb technique. Of course, you don't have to ;-) It's just an idea. I like to try different fingerings sometimes, just to see if there is anything interesting hiding in there.
I can definitely see P and I alternating with the beginning arpeggios, and it's certainly a great alternate fingering. With students, I will introduce this piece to help them develop comfort using all 4 fingerings in the right hand. The fingering that I use in the arpeggio figures allows for this. However, the P/I alternating fingering is great to develop control and consistency with that technique, one that is certainly overlooked at times! Sor's got some great studies which have speed bursts on lower strings where P/I is quite useful!

Thanks for watching Rob! -- maybe I'll make a follow up video with that alternate fingering!
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Return to “Our recordings of Fernando Sor”