Strings Poll

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Strings Poll

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:50 pm

I just did my annual update of my guitar inventory and what strings I have installed. Thought the results might be interesting. Each string combination below is currently installed on a different guitar (a total of 16 instruments). Where there is a mixed set the bass strings are always provided first with the trebles following.

Pyramid Sterling Silver medium nylon (x2 guitars)
Pyramid Sterling Silver/Mari 100p g and b/Dogal strong e
Knobloch Double Silver/Dogal Strong
Knobloch Double Silver/Knobloch MH carbon G/Mari 100p b and e
Hannabach Silver 200 low-medium/Mari 100p (x2 guitars)
Hannabach 728 Custom basses/Goldin 725 carbon
D'Addario EJ45C/Galli medium carbon g/Royal Classics Sonata nylon b and e
D'Addario EJ45 with a D'Addario medium carbon g
Hannabach Titanyl medium/Augustine Imperial
Aranjuez Suave 800 (x3 guitars)
Savarez Cantiga normal/Augustine Imperial
Ramirez medium/Aranjuez Suave trebles

So Augustine Suave and Pyramid Sterling Silver are quite common, along with Mari 100p trebles. What really surprised me was that I have more nylon g strings than carbon. Before I had done the inventory update I would have sworn the opposite was true.

Peter

ShawnNY

Post by ShawnNY » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:02 am

I'm really loving the Hannabach 728 MT at the moment. The best strings that I have played in quite a while. :wink:

relayer

Post by relayer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:31 am

Aquila Alabastro on my Loriente Sofia. I love the sound, although I wish the diameter of the treble strings was larger

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:30 pm

petermc61 wrote:(a total of 16 instruments)
lucky...

Florentin Tise

Post by Florentin Tise » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:49 am

After all these years, I am still returning to D'Addario EJ45.
Good ole' D'Addario EJ45.
They never fail.

pug208

Post by pug208 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:23 am

I have recently put D'Addario EXP45 and T2 trebles onto my Sakurai Special, I am very pleased with this combination, even though Sakurai web site has recently changed their recommendation from D'Addario to Savarez. The sound has improved so much that I decided to withdraw from offering on sale. :D

Currently I have Knobloch Actives Nylon on a Yamaha GC5. I prefer to this set to Hannabach MT815 which were on it.

I also have put Pyramid Sterling Silver on a Sakurai PC, the sound projection and balance is good but somehow I'd be interested to try the D'Addario combo when I next change the strings.

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:16 am

Hi, After many trials I only use D'Addario EJ46TT Dynacores in Hard Tension on my Cordoba 45R
Cordoba C7 Cedar

souldier

Post by souldier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:02 pm

After trying several, my go to strings are Savarez Corums and Oasis GPX Carbon, high tension. I love them for their power, character, sustain, and the basses are surprisingly easy to play for high tension strings
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Post by MessyTendon » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:59 pm

Aquila for life!

ronjazz

Post by ronjazz » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:38 pm

Luthier trebles, consistent and long-lasting, with a beautiful sound. Basses from Luthier are also very good, but the new EXP coated basses are a great investment.
Lester Devoe Flamenco Negra
Lester Devoe Flamenco Blanca
Aparicio Flamenco Blanca with RMC pickup
Bartolex 7-string with RMC pickup
Giannini 7-string with Shadow pickup
Sal Pace 7-string archtop

blackbrook

Post by blackbrook » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:55 am

Savarez New Cristal Cantiga, normal tension. (FWIW: I've only tried only half a dozen kinds of strings or so, though I've listened to sound samples of quite a few more in choosing these.)

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:12 pm

43 pages of written entries spanning 11 years. Is anyone tabulating the data? I found what appears to be a dead link posted in 2011 (about mid point, year wise) but nothing else. Obviously the dead link gave little info. :)
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

Norman2

Post by Norman2 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi, I have always used Savarez Cantiga Basses / New Cristal trebles in High Tension, 510 CJ .Regards
Norman2
Cordoba C7 Cedar

jdart3000

Post by jdart3000 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:52 pm

I float among 3 brands these days: EJ45, EJ45TT with Dynacore Basses, and LaBella 2001 MT, depending upon my mood & the humidity. I use any of the three on all three of my guitars, but there are strengths to each one. For example, the Sakurai No. 10 sounds great with just about any string. The Alhambra 4P seems to need the slight extra punch of the T2 trebles and the overall balance of this set. The Dynacore basses keep their rich "new string" sound for a very long time. The Rubio also seems to prefer the balance given by the EJ45TT, but for depth and richness, it's hard to beat the LaBella 2001s.

As they say, YMMV,
John
"Art is not something which you can take or leave. It is a necessity of human life" -- Oscar Wilde

2012 German Vazquez Rubio Estudio - Spruce
1979 Sakurai Kohno No. 10 - Cedar
2006 Alhambra 4P - Spruce

Jedaks

Post by Jedaks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 am

Aquila Alabastro, normal or superior tension. They take a bit longer to stretch and settle in than other brands, but they are perfect for my playing.
"He gave it for his opinion, that whoever could make two ears of corn, or two blades of grass, to grow upon a spot of ground where only one grew before, would deserve better of mankind"... J.Swift

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”