Chinese classical guitar strings??

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Scott Phillips
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon May 29, 2017 10:48 pm

At $6.99 a set from SBM, I've been using henSe 500 MT. It just makes sense to buy a bunch of packs at a time and save on shipping costs. I bought these to try and was really impressed. They give you an extra d string with each set.and they sound golden toned on my Spruce.

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by Scott Phillips » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm
I found a set of AC-109N on the Bay for about US$5/set including delivery. I ordered a set out of curiosity. (The listing actually said 6 sets, but I am presuming that's an error).
Peter, did you try the Alice AC-109N yet? How many sets came? Did you like them?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6737
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:58 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm
I found a set of AC-109N on the Bay for about US$5/set including delivery. I ordered a set out of curiosity. (The listing actually said 6 sets, but I am presuming that's an error).
Peter, did you try the Alice AC-109N yet? How many sets came? Did you like them?
I have received them but have not had a chance to try them yet. Just too busy on other things. Sad thing is I also have a set of Pirastro stings I promised to try maybe 9-12 months ago that are also in the queue for evaluation. I really do need to lift my game! :roll:

es335
Posts: 1606
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:12 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by es335 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am
... Sad thing is I also have a set of Pirastro stings I promised to try maybe 9-12 months ago that are also in the queue for evaluation. I really do need to lift my game! :roll:
You're quite a "bit" behind your schedule not to forget about the Pepe Romero strings and so on and so on ... :lol:

... anyway, my Pirastro HT treble set is waiting almost as long for its evaluation. :(

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6737
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by petermc61 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm

es335 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am
... Sad thing is I also have a set of Pirastro stings I promised to try maybe 9-12 months ago that are also in the queue for evaluation. I really do need to lift my game! :roll:
You're quite a "bit" behind your schedule not to forget about the Pepe Romero strings and so on and so on ... :lol:

... anyway, my Pirastro HT treble set is waiting almost as long for it's evaluation
Oh yes, several types of Pepe Romero too!! :shock: I'd already forgotten about those!

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2713
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Ohio, US

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm
es335 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am
... Sad thing is I also have a set of Pirastro stings I promised to try maybe 9-12 months ago that are also in the queue for evaluation. I really do need to lift my game! :roll:
You're quite a "bit" behind your schedule not to forget about the Pepe Romero strings and so on and so on ... :lol:

... anyway, my Pirastro HT treble set is waiting almost as long for it's evaluation
Oh yes, several types of Pepe Romero too!! :shock: I'd already forgotten about those!
You've been sitting on your laurels a little too long :wink:

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 6737
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 am

bacsidoan wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:26 pm
petermc61 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm
es335 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:18 pm

You're quite a "bit" behind your schedule not to forget about the Pepe Romero strings and so on and so on ... :lol:

... anyway, my Pirastro HT treble set is waiting almost as long for it's evaluation
Oh yes, several types of Pepe Romero too!! :shock: I'd already forgotten about those!
You've been sitting on your laurels a little too long :wink:
Yes, I really do need to lift my game!

theknowle
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm
Location: Staffordshire UK

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by theknowle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 pm

Also pleasantly surprised by the Alice AC 139 set. Astonishing clarity - especially the trebles - and very good value for money.

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by Scott Phillips » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:15 am

theknowle wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:26 pm
Also pleasantly surprised by the Alice AC 139 set. Astonishing clarity - especially the trebles - and very good value for money.
Are there any other Chinese brands like Alice that make GOOD strings?

joegun
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:17 pm
Location: CALIFORNIA

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by joegun » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 am

I recently bought three sets of un-known brand on Bay for 99 cents each set, and free shipping. silver colored basses and clear nylon trebles. I had to try them, they were so cheap. I usually use D'Addarios ej-45. Hannabach 815's . I was surprised at the sound , a lot louder than I thought they would be, the tone wasn't bad not harsh, they took the tuning just fine, overall not what I expected. They lasted about two weeks before they started dimming down in sound volume. None of the strings broke on a guitar I had them on for a month. Three dollars was a cheap gamble, Maybe for someone on a severe budget might just be able to restring his guitar more often. I am going back to my Hannabach's......joe

Scott Phillips
Posts: 2782
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 am

joegun wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:05 am
I recently bought three sets of un-known brand on Bay for 99 cents each set, and free shipping. silver colored basses and clear nylon trebles. I had to try them, they were so cheap. I usually use D'Addarios ej-45. Hannabach 815's . I was surprised at the sound , a lot louder than I thought they would be, the tone wasn't bad not harsh, they took the tuning just fine, overall not what I expected. They lasted about two weeks before they started dimming down in sound volume. None of the strings broke on a guitar I had them on for a month. Three dollars was a cheap gamble, Maybe for someone on a severe budget might just be able to restring his guitar more often. I am going back to my Hannabach's......joe
Speaking of cheap strings, the Martin M120 set is made in Mexico, and Strings by Mail sells them without packaging for $2.99 a set. I decided to try a couple of sets. If you buy 50 sets, they are $2.30 a set.

Chuah Hui Hsien
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:27 am
Location: Penang, Malaysia

Re: Chinese classical guitar strings??

Post by Chuah Hui Hsien » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 am

After trying out Alice AC 139 Titanium strings, both hard and normal tensions, I found them just sound okay on 65cm guitars.I have used them on my guitalele nowadays, it sounds amazing.

I also ordered another model, Alice AWR 18 Winner Series, the trebles sounds clear and penetrating. But they only last for a few days, however the basses hold up quite well, better than D'Addario ej 45/46 IMO.

You can watch Stephen Chow, HK guitarist on Youtube. He plays AWR 18 extensively on many high end guitars. You will be amazed how good the Alice brand is.

I hope Alice may improve the strings' life span on their Winner Series.
2017 Karel Dedain Spruce/Maple (Torres) 64cm
1998 Yamaha GD 10, Spruce/IRW 65cm
1988 Alhambra AL 8, Cedar/IRW 65cm

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”