Hannabach Exclusive MT

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Hannabach Exclusive MT

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:25 am

I was wondering if anybody has tried these strings. I want to try a set, but the guitar I wanted to try them on I had professionally set up with Ramirez medium tension which are about 87.16 lbs tension, and the new Hannabach exclusive are 89.54 lbs of tension in their med tension set, for a 650mm scale guitar.

I am wondering if adding Another 2lbs of tension will result in a higher action than the Ramirez strings, or if the difference will be negligible. We are talking about 1kg difference or so. It’s just that I have the guitar dialed in for the Ramirez. Luthiers, what do you think?

Information on SBM’s site says that the basses can last up to 3 times longer (Longer than what, they don’t say). The G string is titanyl.

So what do you all think? Should I try them? The bass strings are made of something new and have a higher silver content than their normal strings.

kdwiklund

Re: Hannabach Exclusive MT

Post by kdwiklund » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 am

I’m not a luthier and so not sure about the tension issue but the bass strings are great. Robust, great separation and last a long time. D string is about the best I’ve tried. The trebles are the same as the 815s and, as you said, the 3rd string is titanyl. I use the MT basses and dogal díamente regular trebles e and b and knobloch med carbon for g. After trying many combinations this is my favorite....at least for today.
David Pace 2017 - cedar double-top
David Pace 2014 - spruce
Jose Oribe 1973 - spruce

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am

If the guitar can’t tolerate an extra 2.7% of tension then it will be in trouble anyway in the longer term. Relax. Don’t worry.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am
If the guitar can’t tolerate an extra 2.7% of tension then it will be in trouble anyway in the longer term. Relax. Don’t worry.
I will order a set of these in the morning. I have to call in to get my discount, as it doesn't show up when ordering online. Peter, have you tried These? I wasn't so worried about messing up the guitar with the extra kg of tension, I was worried about negating my awesome set up. It's dialed in for the Ramirez med tension. And at $35 a pop, they are going to be on there until the basses are shot.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:33 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:06 am
petermc61 wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:20 am
I will order a set of these in the morning. I have to call in to get my discount, as it doesn't show up when ordering online. Peter, have you tried These? I wasn't so worried about messing up the guitar with the extra kg of tension, I was worried about negating my awesome set up. It's dialed in for the Ramirez med tension. And at $35 a pop, they are going to be on there until the basses are shot.
Sure have. They’re pretty good. I am not a great fan of Hannabach trebles generally and they are rather expensive. Still, you will never know if you don’t try them.....

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I ordered a bass set of the Exclusive today. I am going to try them with the strong tension Dogal Diamante trebles. I am not a big fan of the Hannabach trebles because they feel just too stiff for my liking. Matt at SBM says that the Hannabach Exclusive are his favorite set of basses, and so far everyone that I've talked to likes these basses.

Tension wise, these basses and the Dogal trebles is very close to the Ramirez MT set that I had my guitar set up with, so no worries about my set up. I'll report back after I've got them on my guitar and they have settled.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:00 am

Well my SBM order came today. I will put the new strings on my Ramirez tomorrow. I'd put em on now, but I have my grandchildren tonight. It's not safe to try restringing with grand kids here.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:46 am

Well, I put them on. They have a buttery smoothness, these basses. Good fundamental. Not over powering, but strong sounding none the less. The bass sounds more refined than other basses I've tried.

They match well with the Dogal Diamante trebles in Strong tension. These basses also seem to settle quickly. I was able to play short pieces within a half hour of putting them on, without having to re-tune. It will be interesting to see if the sound changes on these basses after a few days.

These basses sound better to my ear than the Savarez Cantiga basses. It will be interesting to see how long these basses last. That will be the deciding factor as to whether I will order them again. Do any of you out there have any info on how long these basses last?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am

From my experience a bit longer than Cantiga, but less than Pyramid Sterling Silver.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:22 am

Well I left the guitar in it’s case as we have been having low humidity and cold (humicase). It’s been in there for a few days. The basses were about a half step flat and so were the trebles. I tuned it up and played for a half an hour and then back in the case. They stayed in tune for the most part while I was playing. The basses sound smooth. The strings haven’t fully settled yet. We are supposed to get rain tonight. The humidity has been 33%. But in the case it’s 45%.

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:33 am

I like them a lot ... the bass set does seem very long lasting
1929 Francisco Simplicio
1997 Manuel Contreras

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:26 pm

They're very nice, but I went back to the Savarez Cantiga basses. There's something about the sound of Cantiga basses that keeps attracting me to them.

Single digit temperature overnight here in Connecticut..
35% humidity in the house with 2 room humidifiers running on both floors of the house. Just finished my 2 hours of practice. Guitars are back in their cases again.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2017 Cordoba Orchestra 12 Cedar
2003 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2015 Simon & Patrick Showcase CH HG

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:30 am

Yeah Dave, I really like the Cantiga basses too. My three go to sets of strings are Savarez Cantiga basses medium tension with Dogal Diamante regular trebles, Ramirez med tension with Carbon 3rd, and the exclusive Hannabach basses with Dogal Diamante strong trebles. Will revert back to the Savarez basses on this last set if the Hannabach Exclusive don't last sufficiently long.

The Hannabach basses do have a unique sound.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:32 pm

Well, these strings have been on the guitar for a couple of weeks now. The basses have a dark, buttery smooth sound. The basses are the most refined sounding ones I've tried yet. The trebles are strong, rounded sounding and there is a hint of brightness, but not overly bright. These really pair well. Will post again when I change them, after a good long while.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:11 am

Sorry to say, but I likely won’t be buying these basses again. I put them on the guitar, a Ramirez 4NE, on the 10th of December. Already, the basses are starting to sound dull. They have been on a month. And had about 30 hours of playing time on them. They lost the special quality of sound that they had when new.

The D string still[ looks practically new. I can see how, physically, they would last a long tim as there is no discernible wear to the windings. But, after about 30 hours, these basses are nothing special. Where they once had this deep, dark presence with a little punch to them, now they leave me as unimpressed as I was with the Savarez Corum basses. They are smooth to the touch still, and aren’t squeaky. That part has remained.

It’s back to Cantiga city for me. I will try Peter’s recommendation of Pyramid SS next time, after I use my Cantigas, which to my ear sound excellent longer, and are one third of so the price.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”