Guitar feels cold in case?

Construction and repair of Classical Guitar and related instruments
Orcas_

Guitar feels cold in case?

Post by Orcas_ » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:38 am

I found this a bit odd. I keep my guitars in hardshell cases, one in particular I keep in a ABS molded case. I took it out to play earlier and for whatever reason it was pretty cold to the touch. Don't know if this should concern me? I keep it in my closet in it's case where the humidity is at 60%

SeanWinkler

Re: Guitar feels cold in case?

Post by SeanWinkler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm

What's the temperature in your closet? A case can provide a decent buffer between against fluctuations in ambient humidity, but if the guitar in the case sits in the closet for a while, it will stabilize to the ambient temperature. By "a while," I mean less than a day in most situations.

Unless your guitar is exothermic, it can't get any colder than the temperature around it.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:59 pm

Sean beat me to the punch on the question of the closet temp. If the temperature of the guitar, and presumed temperature of the closet, is lower than the temperature of the hand grasping it then, via conductive heat loss, it will feel cold/coldish to the touch. that said, if the insulation inside each case is exactly the same and the closure is exactly the same, one would expect heat from the last playing (i.e., wood heated from the hands and body) to radiate faster in the case covering (abs vs wood) with the lower R value. of course the difference between the two case coverings will likely result in a temperature difference in a fraction of a degree.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

guitarras en la espiritu de la:
Marcelo Barbero
Jose Ramirez III

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

SeanWinkler wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm
What's the temperature in your closet? A case can provide a decent buffer between against fluctuations in ambient humidity, but if the guitar in the case sits in the closet for a while, it will stabilize to the ambient temperature. By "a while," I mean less than a day in most situations.
A couple of years ago I did a test with a guitar in a Hiscox Pro II Large case with a humidity/temperature logger inside the case and another resting on it - so I could log the ambient and case temperature and humidity.

I found that the temperature fluctuations inside the case were smoothed (as you would expect) but that the case didn't provide good resistance to overall changes in temperature. For example, when the heating was switched off overnight the temperature drop inside the case would roughly follow the ambient temperature drop but with a delay of approx 2hrs.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

SeanWinkler

Post by SeanWinkler » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm

JohnB wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm
SeanWinkler wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:57 pm
A couple of years ago I did a test with a guitar in a Hiscox Pro II Large case with a humidity/temperature logger inside the case and another resting on it - so I could log the ambient and case temperature and humidity.

I found that the temperature fluctuations inside the case were smoothed (as you would expect) but that the case didn't provide good resistance to overall changes in temperature. For example, when the heating was switched off overnight the temperature drop inside the case would roughly follow the ambient temperature drop but with a delay of approx 2hrs.
Thanks for the data point. I've never done such an experiment myself, but I'm not surprised. Maybe one of the foam cases would have slightly better insulating properties, but I would be surprised if it was significantly different. Out of curiosity, what did you find regarding humidity? I've tracked humidity inside a case before, and that seems to vary from ambient much more slowly than temperature.
Remember Anthony Weller, please help. Contact myself or Aaron Green for details.

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:22 pm

Yes, I think the case construction will have a material effect on temperature stability.

As far as humidity is concerned, I can't answer your question because whenever I have done this type of test I have always been using the D'Addario/planetwaves/Boveda humidipaks (though I suspect you are probably correct). You can see a chart of my fairly recent humidity test here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109388&p=1248392#p1248392
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Return to “Luthiers”