Rick Stein's Road to Mexico

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Evocacion

Rick Stein's Road to Mexico

Post by Evocacion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am

In episode 4 of this series Rick is in Guadaljara, and visits an enormous street market that seems to sell just about everythng (even guitars).

While he was enthusing about the wonderful avocados on one of the stalls (which did look excellent) I was distracted by the vaguely familiar guitar music playing in the background. I'm not sure whether it was one guitar or several.

Does anyone know this piece? I'd really like to know what it is called and where I can get the score...

The series is on BBC I-Player, for those who have access.

bear

Re: Rick Stein's Road to Mexico

Post by bear » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:50 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:12 am
In episode 4 of this series Rick is in Guadaljara, and visits an enormous street market that seems to sell just about everythng (even guitars).

While he was enthusing about the wonderful avocados on one of the stalls (which did look excellent) I was distracted by the vaguely familiar guitar music playing in the background. I'm not sure whether it was one guitar or several.

Does anyone know this piece? I'd really like to know what it is called and where I can get the score...

The series is on BBC I-Player, for those who have access.
We don't get it here, We have a Rick Steves that does the same thing traveling around Europe.
I googled it, just to make sure, is that Season 1 Episode 4?
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

prawnheed

Post by prawnheed » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:59 pm

Did you try Shazam?

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:55 pm

I think you might be referring to Malats's Serenata Espanola. I seem to remember thinking at the time how inappropriate it was when there is so much wonderful Mexican guitar music.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:45 pm

I can't answer your question about the music, but your mentioning that show made me do a search on YT and I watched Rick make a yummy Spanish lentil dish. Thanks.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:30 pm

Bear:
Yes, it's listed on the BBC I-Player site as Season 1 Episode 4. But as there's only one season I didn't bother to mention it...

prawnheed:
Yes, I tried several sites that identify music but with no luck.

DerekB:
No, it isn't the Malat piece. I think it's Mexican. But I enjoyed Julian Bream playing Malat' Serenata Espanola on YouTube when I checked that, so thanks for the suggestion.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm

Sorry Evocacion - I don't recognise the tune but it appears to be a habanera from what I could hear.
Evocacion wrote:Season 1 Episode 4
I should be in a different thread - I hate this - what the on earth does "season" mean? Grump, moan. Happily (for me) it was described as a series 1 when I accessed it.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:42 pm

I caught a bit of it on tv and heard Cadiz by Albeniz

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Sorry Evocacion - I don't recognise the tune but it appears to be a habanera from what I could hear.
I should be in a different thread - I hate this - what the on earth does "season" mean? Grump, moan. Happily (for me) it was described as a series 1 when I accessed it.
Mark, I think you are right, it's a habanera. And yes, it should be 'series', not 'season'. Game of Thrones has seasons.
On the other hand, surely 'season' is not inappropriate for a cooking show?

bear

Post by bear » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:32 am

Evocacion wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:52 pm
Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:49 pm
Mark, I think you are right, it's a habanera. And yes, it should be 'series', not 'season'. Game of Thrones has seasons.
On the other hand, surely 'season' is not inappropriate for a cooking show?
There's a big difference in British and American TV. Americans have a "season" usually beginning in September. This is the beginning of new television shows or new episodes. The last episode of the season is usually a "cliffhanger". There can be a couple of dozen episodes in a season.
For instance in SHERLOCK (Cumberbatch). Sherlock jumps from a building and dies.
On an American produced TV the first show of the next season (Sept.) would show his "resurrection".
American seasons are predictable (except when shows get cancelled). The cliffhanger will be resolved in September. British TV, not so much. The cliffhanger may or may not be resolved, maybe this year or next year or ......
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Giustina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 pm

I have a short audio clip of this piece (including a few unrelated word by Rick), which would be useful for those who don't have access to BBC Iplayer.
However, the rules for posting audio clips (as I understand them) say that I must supply the name of the composer and the title.
Unfortunately that is exactly the information I want to obtain!
Any ideas anyone? Moderators?

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Ha ha, series and season, yes. In the UK there was never any such thing as a "season".
Series is both singular and plural. Poldark was a series. It had a first series and a second series and so on and all those series were the series that was Poldark.
In the USA each year's programmes are called a season. On some British forums you get shouted at for using the word season.

I don't like Rick Stein, but I have his Indian DVDs. They are good.
Keith Floyd in Spain is infinitely better.
[media]https://youtu.be/u9Nid7_UPP4[/media]
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Have you tried examining any of the available program "credits"? Titles and/or performers may be listed if you are able to do a replay in its entirety.
Our local PBS channel allows contributors to do online replays on demand.
Cathy
Matthew Chaffin 2014 spruce/quilted maple
Andy Culpepper 2015 bear claw spruce/flamed maple

Return to “The Café”