Don't you hate it when . . .

Talk about things that are not necessarily related to music or the guitar.
Evocacion

Re: Don't you hate it when . . .

Post by Evocacion » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 am
You can sign up to prevent sales calls. I wish I had the number for you but sure it's posted somewhere. Once you're on the list, they can't call you. You can do the same for junk mail advertising.
Here in the UK, that stops about 90 percent of them. But not all...

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:00 am

Right. I still get calls. Just today someone called from India asking me to purchase a warranty for one of my cars. I kept her on the line and asked her to repeat herself because of her accent. You could hear what sounded like hundreds of people talking on the phone in the background. I finally said I couldn't understand her and hung up. :lol:
3 hard things for humans: dentist visit, public speaking, offering forgiveness.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Randy Johnson

Post by Randy Johnson » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:27 pm

David Gutowski wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:00 am
You can sign up to prevent sales calls. I wish I had the number for you but sure it's posted somewhere. Once you're on the list, they can't call you. You can do the same for junk mail advertising.
This does not work anymore. The problem is the National Do Not Call List only stops legal telemarketing company that register to the National Do Not Call. it will not stop international telemarketing calls and illegal telemarketing calls.

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 am

That's probably why I'm getting calls from India.

Muse: chg pitch measure rhym feel tempo improvise melody harmonize arpeggios stucco your legato & practice

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

jhapgood

Post by jhapgood » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm

...You follow a thread on the Forum all the way through to the end and realize you just wasted some more of that precious time that you'll never get back again, LOL! :lol:
2018 Brad Andersen, No. 27
2008 Jose Ramirez 2NE
"So Much Music, So Little Time."

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:53 am

Time is relative especially when you're retired. Of course, the older you get the more you realize you're basically living on borrowed time, which you try not to think about. Most of the enjoyment of the forum is spending time reading and browsing through all the threads and information. I agree some are pointless and lack enrichment and are actually silly, but even then you learn something and realize you've spent time, borrowed or not, enjoying the experience.

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:06 pm

When a computer program asks you "Do you want to save your changes?" when you never made any changes.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:47 pm

When you answer the phone and someone tries to scam you in an incomprehensible Indian voice. Sometimes it's fun to play games with them but it feels a bit unkind. I've tried asking them why they can't get an honest job instead of bringing their entire nation into disrepute but never had a good answer. These days as soon as I hear an Indian voice I put the phone down.

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm

PeteJ wrote:When you answer the phone and someone tries to scam you in an incomprehensible Indian voice. Sometimes it's fun to play games with them ...
I quite enjoy their attempts to convince us of their honest intentions through, first of all, giving a false name à la Ford Prefect; the best one I heard was "Sean Bond". On that occasion I answered him, "Hey Sean, how are you? I've not heard from you in ages ... and your Mum? Is she recovering?" And so on.

The guy on the other end persisted - was I stupid? Of course his voice sounded odd ... didn't I realise that there could be two people called Sean Bond?
PeteJ wrote:... but it feels a bit unkind.
Nah - they would take you for everything if they could. Old 007 wanted me to give remote access to my desktop machine in order to fix its, supposed, Microsnot operating system. I played along for a good 15 minutes whilst typing up some work before leaving him on hold whilst I made tea.

I always keep the conversation on something other than what they called about e.g. what was on television the previous night. Many of them seem to have been primed on sports and popular soap operas, both subjects about which I know nothing but I'm happy to improvise. When boredom sets in I've found that inquiring into their religion and then questioning its attitude to liars will usually result in them hanging up, but they can be remarkably resilient.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm
I always keep the conversation on something other than what they called about e.g. what was on television the previous night. Many of them seem to have been primed on sports and popular soap operas, both subjects about which I know nothing but I'm happy to improvise. When boredom sets in I've found that inquiring into their religion and then questioning its attitude to liars will usually result in them hanging up, but they can be remarkably resilient.
My usual approach is "Ah PPI... I thought I was too late! Hang on I'll just get a pen"

[Leave them hanging for ages]

"Right sorry about that, couldn't find one anywhere. Just before we get into it, could I ask you a question Sean... you did say your name was Sean? OK great - well Sean, how well do you know Jesus?"

twang

Post by twang » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Rasputin wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:56 pm

My usual approach is "Ah PPI... I thought I was too late! Hang on I'll just get a pen"

[Leave them hanging for ages]

"Right sorry about that, couldn't find one anywhere. Just before we get into it, could I ask you a question Sean... you did say your name was Sean? OK great - well Sean, how well do you know Jesus?"
A few years ago a guy named Tom Mabe put out a CD of pranks he did to telemarketers. Google his name for some good laughs.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:58 pm
. When boredom sets in I've found that inquiring into their religion and then questioning its attitude to liars will usually result in them hanging up, but they can be remarkably resilient.
Yes, I've tried this ploy. I point out their rich spiritual history as a nation and their own betrayal of it. They tend to hang up, but I like to think something slowly percolates into their consciousness. Perhaps if we both keep at it...

One guy who got fed up with calls put a message on his phone saying it as a business phone for which he charges by the minute and made quite a bit of money.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Hey. I just had new sort of call. This is a pre-recorded message saying I need to change my IP address because it has been compromised. I pressed '1' to speak to a technician and lo and behold an incomprehensible Indian voice tells me I'm speaking to BT Openreach. I congratulated them on their inventiveness but they seemed reluctant to talk. I can't image there's much hope these days of someone with an Indian accent getting a job in an honest call-center.

I suppose they've done this to avoid the time-wasting strategies mentioned above. It's like the Wild-West out there.

doug

Post by doug » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:44 pm

I hate it when I slice the end of my thumb open, which I did the other day. Even mundane activities like buttoning a shirt are painful !!!
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR
2017 Kenny Hill Player Cutaway, 640, Sp

David Gutowski

Post by David Gutowski » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:00 am

How did you slice the end of your thumb? :(

Carrillo Concert
Yulong Chamber '17
Bozo 123

Return to “The Café”