What it is this word please (Italian / Latin knowledge might help)...

Primary sources of music for Classical Guitar and related instruments, research studies, biographies, links, etc.
Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

What it is this word please (Italian / Latin knowledge might help)...

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:43 pm

This is the title of the first piece in the Capirola lute book. A student of mine has transcribed it into guitar notation which I have typed up and now its time to produce the final version, and now I realise I am great doubt about this title!

The only word that I have deduced which comes up as a real word is "laudanda", but that seems unfair to the apparently clear 'i" - but that doesn't seem to produce anything!

You'll probably need to expand the image rather to have a chance of seeing it properly.

Title of piece.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Stephen Kenyon on Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)
Simon Ambridge 'Hauser' (2018)

mcote

Re: What it is this word please (Italian knowledge might help)...

Post by mcote » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:48 pm

might be Latin from laudandus

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm

It looks like lauilanda (? plural of lauilandum). A search for this brings up a Google Books facsimile entitled 'Gradus ad Parnassum, ou Nouveau dictionnaire poétique ...' that includes the Latin phrase: Ut desint vires, tarnen est lauilanda voluntas. I don't know what it means, though :(

PS, I've just remembered that David Norton has actually seem the original, as recounted here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111193. I wonder if he has any clue about this word?
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008), Ramirez (Guitarra del Tiempo 2017),
Yamaha (SLG 130NW silent classical guitar 2014).

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:42 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:40 pm
It looks like lauilanda (? plural of lauilandum). A search for this brings up a Google Books facsimile entitled 'Gradus ad Parnassum, ou Nouveau dictionnaire poétique ...' that includes the Latin phrase: Ut desint vires, tarnen est lauilanda voluntas. I don't know what it means, though :(

PS, I've just remembered that David Norton has actually seem the original, as recounted here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111193. I wonder if he has any clue about this word?
Thanks for that! :D "lauilanda" is one of the things I thought it was but nothing seems to work, and while google translate copes with the rest of the sentence it gives up on that one (Although the power, however, will lauilanda), which suggests its archaic or perhaps a spelling mistake!?

I think David's thread was what got me onto this in the first place ...
Louis Panormo (1838)

JohnB

Re: What it is this word please (Italian / Latin knowledge might help)...

Post by JohnB » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Although it isn't the first thought that strikes one, two online lists of contents of the Lute Book give the first piece as "La villanella". One can, however, just about see it - assuming there is no gap between the "La" and "villanella" and that the double "l"s are represented by a single character (archaic spelling?).

Incidentally, the thread that David Norton's thread about the lute book is: viewtopic.php?t=111193
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso", Christopher Dean 2018, Ana Maria Espinosa 2014

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Looks like La vilanele to me.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:14 pm

JohnB wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Although it isn't the first thought that strikes one, two online lists of contents of the Lute Book give the first piece as "La villanella". One can, however, just about see it - assuming there is no gap between the "La" and "villanella" and that the double "l"s are represented by a single character (archaic spelling?)....
RobMacKillop wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:24 pm
Looks like La vilanele to me.
Ha hadn't occurred to me it might be one word - in my defence, the subsequent pieces are pretty much all several words and clearly so, including with dots in between ... plus they don't seem to go in for the florid 'l' (if its an 'l').
It makes a lot of sense though if wikipedia is correct in "the early villanella .... is invariably for three unaccompanied voices" because this is mostly in three voices - OK, no big deal, much of the repertoire is too.
Louis Panormo (1838)

DerekB

Post by DerekB » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am

What we have here is what paeleographers refer to as minim trouble. In gothic script the letters i, j, n, u, and v are all shown by a series of short vertical strokes, often not spaced in a way that aids interpretation. The word minim would be a series of ten of these strokes. In the example above we seem to have a dot over the i so La vilanele seems to be the answer.
I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn... - Seasick Steve

Ana Espinosa 2014 Swiss spruce/IRW
Yulong Guo 2009 640mm scale cedar/IRW

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:00 am

DerekB wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:13 am
What we have here is what paeleographers refer to as minim trouble. In gothic script the letters i, j, n, u, and v are all shown by a series of short vertical strokes, often not spaced in a way that aids interpretation. The word minim would be a series of ten of these strokes. In the example above we seem to have a dot over the i so La vilanele seems to be the answer.
Fascinating! The other trouble if is La vilanele is its writ as Lavilanele.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Tom Poore

Post by Tom Poore » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Here’s the original manuscript:

https://ia800204.us.archive.org/6/items ... tebook.pdf

If you look at the manuscript titles for (11) Stavasi amor dormento and (12) Voi che passate qui, you’ll see that the “v” in those titles looks like that of the “v” in La villanella—the first piece in the manuscript.

By the way, here’s a translation of the text in the Capirola Lute Book:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080814204 ... tebot1.txt

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Return to “Research and primary sources”