When do YOU decide it's time to change strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ameriken

Re: When do YOU decide it's time to change strings?

Post by ameriken » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:12 pm

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:28 pm
Ideally, when they no longer make me go "wow what a guitar!" the moment I play that first tuning-check chord.

Realistically, when I get a round tuit :shock: .
The ''wow factor'', that's my gauge as well. No particular time frame, just when the guitar tells me in that dull voice ''it's time dude''.
Amalio Burguet 1A Spruce
Takamine C-132S

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:45 am

I just changed strings on my gig guitar, Esteve 1GR08 Cedar, after roughly 57 hours of playing. They were D'Addario Pro Arte Medium tension. They began to noticeably lose intonation, clarity and projection within the last 4-6 hours of playing and showed visible signs of string wear on the basses with a noticeable a heightened "roughness" when playing. I changed to Aranjuez Silver 300 medium basses and Hannabach medium trebles(left over from a Gold set). This guitar is played in a regular rotation with my LoPrinzi and Brune. I will provide string additional information when I change strings on my remaining guitars. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:29 am

I changed strings tonight on my LoPrinzi Spanish Grand Concert. Roughly 52 hours playing time on Aranjuez Silver 300 Medium tension strings. Strings began losing intonation, clarity and projection within the last 3-5 hours. There is slightly greater longevity with the Hannabach trebles than the Aranjuez trebles. However, the Aranjuez trebles had initial better clarity, brightness in my opinion. I hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 am

I alternate playing between my three instruments and practice about 15 + hours per week. I change my strings, D'addario EJ 45s on all of my guitars, about every 6 to 8 weeks.

I notice that some people have a difficult time staying in tune. My string changing ritual takes about 90 minutes to two hours. I remove all strings at once clean the guitar and replace the strings. Once they are on I bring them all to pitch with an electronic tuner. I then watch the news while I start playing, stopping frequently to retune.

At the end of the session I raise each string by 25 cents and leave the guitar in its case over night. The strings will be quite stable the next day.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:37 am

When I notice one of the basses is starting to fray. Usually that's the D.

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:29 pm

Kevin L Benbow wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 am
I remove all strings at once clean the guitar and replace the strings. Once they are on I bring them all to pitch with an electronic tuner. I then watch the news while I start playing, stopping frequently to retune.
While I certainly agree that it is the best way to clean the fingerboard by removing all the strings so that you have access to the entire fingerboard, I keep hearing/reading that you should not remove all the strings at once but only one at a time to maintain the string tension. Have you ever had any problems with your method?

segobreawill

Post by segobreawill » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:32 pm

Oh and to answer the OP, usually at around 80 hours of play the strings satrt to show that they are quite used up, either physically or soundwise, or both. Of course there are some sets where the 4th wears out way before those 80 hours are up!

Kevin L Benbow

Post by Kevin L Benbow » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:02 pm

I have never had any problems with this and have been doing it for many years.
Purnell #93
Cordoba C12
Admira Virtuoso (c. 1999).

Scott Phillips

Post by Scott Phillips » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:25 am

When the yellow, padded envelope from Strings by Mail shows up, which happens quite a lot.

D.Cass

Post by D.Cass » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:20 am

To answer the the OP, usually when they start to shred or break. Unless, I have to play somewhere. I hate changing strings. To give an example, the guitar I use to teach with has went two years without changing strings. However, I have gotten better recently.

richardm

Post by richardm » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm

Personally I don’t like brand new strings, especially the basses, due to them being noisier under the left hand. I guess if I had a cleaner technique this wouldn’t be so much of a problem. Apart from that though, I prefer the slightly mellower sound of strings that are a few weeks old.
In terms of changing them, I usually start to think about it after 3 months, but then it’s another 3 before I get around to it. Time is so limited, so it always a question of do I spend this spare 30 mins practicing, or do I change the strings. The strings usually stay unchanged...

Adam

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:00 am

richardm wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:53 pm
In terms of changing them, I usually start to think about it after 3 months, but then it’s another 3 before I get around to it. Time is so limited, so it always a question of do I spend this spare 30 mins practicing, or do I change the strings. The strings usually stay unchanged...
It sounds like you and I have a similar approach to string changes!

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:35 am

On a second thought: actually I know I have decided to change the strings when I find myself changing the strings...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

My Youtube Channel is: TheMusicalEvents

jaan

Post by jaan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:59 pm

For me, it's when the first string gets scratchy and I can no longer get a pure tone. I can live with dead basses (if I'm not performing, which I'm not these days), but I hate a scratchy first string.

And, dead basses can be resurrected to a certain extent by tuning them down a 5th, pulling at them, and tuning them back up.
Amateurs practice until we get it right; professionals practice until they no longer get it wrong.

1999 Dake Traphagen (spruce)
2008 Dake Traphagen (spruce, double top)
2010 David Pace (cedar, double top)
2019 Antonius Müller (cedar, double top)

nmshu1

Post by nmshu1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:39 pm

Usually 3-4 weeks.

Or sometimes I feel sound boring...
or sometimes I see the base worn a lot at fret...
or sometimes I feel difficult to stay in tune accurately...
Otto Vowinkel Concert | Paulino Bernabe Torres | Juan Hernandez Torres | German V. Rubio Concert | Kenny Hill Performance

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”